The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Air filter housing removal? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=294912)

roverbarmy 14th April 2019 12:21

Air filter housing removal?

I'm going to be doing the auto transmission fluid change on the V6, so need to remove the air filter box. I can see a jubilee clip to remove on the connection to the engine air inlet. What else is there to release? I understand that the base is held by friction into the rubber isolators underneath. Is there a connection to the shannon tube to release? (assuming that the V6 has one?):shrug:

vitesse 14th April 2019 14:55

The jubilee clip that is all that needs to be released. Remove the upper part of the filter box, filter and then with an almighty effort pull the lower box upwards.

Regards

roverbarmy 14th April 2019 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2726640)
The jubilee clip that is all that needs to be released. Remove the upper part of the filter box, filter and then with an almighty effort pull the lower box upwards.

Regards

Many thanks. That saves me breaking things - apart from my chin when those pesky rubbers let go!!! :D

Chuckles 15th April 2019 08:00

Strange! mine is held in place with 4 25Tex head screws.
Perhaps it is because it is an early PPD car?

roverbarmy 15th April 2019 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckles (Post 2726859)

Ahah! So is mine (built June/July '99) so I'll take care before I start yanking. Many thanks, Mike.

Arctic 15th April 2019 22:57

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckles (Post 2726859)

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2726876)
Ahah! So is mine (built June/July '99) so I'll take care before I start yanking. Many thanks, Mike.

Hi Mike.
I think Chuck above is referring to the top of the air box which you remove when you are changing the air filter, the air box it's self is held in by three lugs going into three rubber grommets.

roverbarmy 16th April 2019 15:25

OK. Today I have carefully removed my air filter housing and it only has two grommets and projections on the base (2 litre V6) and the front connects to the plastic oval pipe from the shannon tube.

I have located the auto transmission filling point (aren't they small!) and put a smear of rubber grease on all the push pull and hose connections ready for the fluid change.

I've also found the cause of my induction "roar" at certain revs. The jubilee clip connection to the induction was nipped at the bottom leaving a gap on the rubber pipe. All tidied on return and I now have a quieter induction - bliss!:}
Mike

jpdoc 13th May 2019 15:22

Can't remove air filter box base

I'm in the process of trying to replace the solenoid brushes on my 1999 2.5 litre v6 manual Connie. I've taken off the top of the air filter box and removed the filter, and disconnected the pipe on the left (looking from car front to back). Heaving with all my strength on the box base doesn't budge it at all, it seems absolutely jammed. I'm afraid if I apply any more force I'm going to break the box itself.

Reading MGJohns post I got myself a bit of wood to try and lever it off, but I can't figure out where to lever it from. I wondered if he (or anyone who has successfully removed the damn thing) can give me some guidance on where to lever it from to get it off without damage?

Many thanks in advance.

roverbarmy 13th May 2019 15:30

I didn't use the wooden lever, just kept pulling at the rear in a sort of left/right upward motion until I felt it move, then just repeated the same until it gave up its grasp. The application of some red rubber grease on the grommets made it much easier the second time around. It is a scary experience and you will be convinced that something will break (and possibly may according to others!). Best of luck and watch your chin! Mike ;)

jpdoc 13th May 2019 16:07

got it off

Thanks Roverbarmy - spurred on by your note I had another go, pushing and pulling while trying to pry with the wood, and managed to get the thing off. Next to attack the two bolts that fix the starter motor to the engine, the bottom one looks like fun. But first I think I'll rest my back . . .