The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help Please (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298344)

Number 6 13th August 2019 18:07

Help Please

I have been given a 2 ltr petrol Cowley built75,

Recent new clutch, etc.

Engine starts first turn of the key, ticks over fine.

But when you start driving it drives like a Kangaroo It is as if you constantly put your foot up and down on the throttle pedal and won't go above 4k rpm.

It just surges, and when you then come to let it tick over it ticks over at about 2K and the revs go up and down.

Anyone any ideas ?? as I am more used to Diesel.

If it is a simple cure fine if not it goes to the Casse.

madeupname 13th August 2019 19:11

That's what is happening with mine. I think I've narrowed it down to the fuel feed pipe to the injectors. Mine wobbles from side to side and I'm sure it should be securely fastened. . . . just a sec, I'll check the pipe on my diesel. I'll get back to you :getmecoat:

madeupname 13th August 2019 19:24

And of course there's no equivalent pipe on a diesel :o
But, I'm pretty sure the problem is a wobbly pipe intermittently cutting fuel to the injectors.
I'm waiting for a visit by MarinaBrian to change my timing belt and help with this other problem.
So check that pipe. It's the one in the middle. The other pipe nearest to the battery moves anyway.
Hope this goes some way to help :}

SD1too 14th August 2019 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2754716)
I have been given a 2 ltr petrol Cowley built75 ...

That's nice. :}
Do you know the service history of this car John?
Quote:

... it drives like a Kangaroo It is as if you constantly put your foot up and down on the throttle pedal and won't go above 4k rpm.

It just surges, and when you then come to let it tick over it ticks over at about 2K and the revs go up and down.
I would have a look at the throttle cable to make sure that it's adjusted properly. The butterfly should be completely closed at idle because there's a separate air supply to the idle control valve. Next I would remove and clean the components of this valve. There's an inexpensive service kit available should you need it.

Also, remove the engine acoustic cover and check the cam cover breather tubes beneath. The T junction is usually where they break.

There are lots of KV6 owners here who do their own maintenance so no need to consider cold blooded murder of this poor old 2 litre. :D ;)

Simon

Number 6 14th August 2019 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2754827)
That's nice. :}
Do you know the service history of this car John?

I would have a look at the throttle cable to make sure that it's adjusted properly. The butterfly should be completely closed at idle because there's a separate air supply to the idle control valve. Next, I would remove and clean the components of this valve. There's an inexpensive service kit available should you need it.

Also, remove the engine acoustic cover and check the cam cover breather tubes beneath. The T junction is usually where they break.

There are lots of KV6 owners here who do their own maintenance so no need to consider cold-blooded murder of this poor old 2 litre. :D ;)

Simon

Hello Simon,

There is a "File " with the car but as yet I have not had spare time to read it all I know is it is a 2000 registered and fairly Basic spec When I get it back home I can sort the VIN number out and do a search.

The Lurching is consistent with you putting your foot on and off the throttle in quick succession..It will start up easily enough and did tick over well, But after trying to drive it the tick over went a little haywire:shrug:

I will check out what you suggested and see what happens.

John Number 6.

Number 6 14th August 2019 12:39

As yet I have not looked at it closely but will investigate the points you have bought up..

One thing I have since learnt is that the instrument head has been changed and the replacement was from an unknown car on the display when you switch it on shows ride height and traction control I believe, As this car has neither fitted I wonder if this could upset the ECM :shrug: and cause the problem.

COLVERT 14th August 2019 15:50

Don't kill it yet.--Marinabrian might have the solution to that kind of problem.---;)

COLVERT 23rd August 2019 19:16

Hi there John.

Have you come up with any solutions yet to the problems on your gift car ???

Even though your car is a diesel there are lots of compatible parts to keep if you do decide to scrap it.---;)

Number 6 23rd August 2019 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2757356)
Hi there John.

Have you come up with any solutions yet to the problems on your gift car ???

Even though your car is a diesel there are lots of compatible parts to keep if you do decide to scrap it.---;)

Well yes After cleaning all the various contacts in the engine compartment and the TPS the car runs absolutely fine,Smooth,quite and reasonble performance.

But I have a problem with the airbag light staying on which I am trying to cure,Hence the reason I have not updated what is happening.

And to be honest it would be criminal to scrap/break
it as the inside is perfect.