The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Jacking point/pad question. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316473)

edwardmk 19th November 2021 20:05

Jacking point/pad question.

Hi all. When I came to jack up the ZTT to change the reversing switch, I noticed that both front jacking pads were missing, but the rears were fine. They must have fallen off some time ago, so I assume the holes where they fit have been collecting some muck from the road. I did jack up the car carefully without the pads using the boot jack and it all seemed fine, but I now have two new pads to put back. Before I fit them, should I try to clean out the sills inside somehow, and if so, what would be the best method?
Would it be a good idea for me to spray ACF-50 into the sill space while the pads are off? Finally, how do I stop them from falling out again? or perhaps they just inevitably fall out when the plastic retaining lugs age?

trikey 19th November 2021 20:24

I would clean as much muck out as possible, give it a spray with acf50 then refit the jacking pads, you will feel if they are a good fit when you push them in, if the fit feels weak, try warming the pad up in hot water then bending the lugs outwards a little.

suzublu 19th November 2021 20:38

I put a piece of hose pipe tube between the prongs, slightly over long to spread them a bit 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

xsport 19th November 2021 20:47

a good buttering of grease on the flats of the pads before entry keep mine in place. suction is the key with this method. :}

suzublu 19th November 2021 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsport (Post 2908654)
a good buttering of grease on the flats of the pads before entry keep mine in place. suction is the key with this method. :}

Sticktion I think you'll find is the term 😎 although I'm sure someone will correct me with the correct technology 😁

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

bl52krz 19th November 2021 21:03

I silicone mine in place. Easy to remove if you want to.

stevestrat 19th November 2021 21:05

I seem to remember reading silicone, glue etc was a bad idea as it meant no escape for condensation.

edwardmk 19th November 2021 21:44

Will attack this weekend if the rain holds off and report back what I found. I did wonder about trapping condensation. Liking the ideas of helping the retaining lugs along with a positive fit.

xsport 19th November 2021 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2908658)
I seem to remember reading silicone, glue etc was a bad idea as it meant no escape for condensation.

cant remember without removing a pad, if they have a breather hole in the centre of not. if not a small drill will adress that. best if the sills can breath is my view as they will trap moisture from inside the panels, as you have seen from the jacking points.

SD1too 20th November 2021 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardmk (Post 2908663)
Will attack this weekend if the rain holds off ...

Lots of suggestions for you there Martin and here's another one from me! :D
Three of my pads remain in place satisfactorily without any assistance. The fourth I smeared with Waxoyl impregnated Underseal before fitting. I chose this for its water repellent properties, mild adhesive action and ease of removal if necessary. ;)

Simon