The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Odometer wrong!! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=327353)

Nobby 17th March 2024 12:34

Odometer wrong!!

My 8 year old battery gave up the ghost and died last week. Fitted a new battery and all's well EXCEPT the mileage displayed on the IPK has reduced by 3000 miles.:eek: Why? How?
This will look suspicious to my insurer and the MoT tester when I renew both next month. Is there a way of resetting back to the true reading? :shrug:

gnu 17th March 2024 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobby (Post 2991349)
My 8 year old battery gave up the ghost and died last week. Fitted a new battery and all's well EXCEPT the mileage displayed on the IPK has reduced by 3000 miles.:eek: Why? How?
This will look suspicious to my insurer and the MoT tester when I renew both next month. Is there a way of resetting back to the true reading? :shrug:

Is it less than on the mot cert from last year? If not, I wouldn’t worry (but still be upfront if I sell etc).

Nobby 17th March 2024 13:12

Yes it is 3000 miles less than last years Mot :o

gnu 17th March 2024 13:33

Oh dear. You’ll have to go for a long drive…

SD1too 17th March 2024 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobby (Post 2991349)
... the mileage displayed on the IPK has reduced by 3000 miles.:eek: Why? How?

Hi Paul,

This isn't my area of expertise but I understand from others that the car's mileage is stored in the IPK, the LSM and the transponder within the ignition key.

I'd suspect that your fault symptoms are unconnected with the car's battery being changed. Many members, including myself, have done this without affecting the mileometer.
Are you absolutely sure that nothing else has changed?

Simon

Nobby 17th March 2024 18:36

Hi Simon, no nothing else has changed.

The cars currently garaged on a sorn and normally I keep the battery on a CTEC maintenance charger but left it off over the last 8 weeks while I used it on one of my other cars. The battery was getting on a bit and not unexpectantly went flat - the usual flashing lights when trying to start so I put the charger back on and all seemed fine but the battery just wasn't holding its charge after 12 hours and the voltage was dropping; I suspect letting it run down was too much for it after 8 years so a new one was fitted and everything was good.

I only noticed the mileage error today when completing an insurance questionnaire so can only assume that when the battery died it corrupted the system somehow though I've never had this issue before when I've changed the battery before so, your guess is as good as mine. I'm hoping a T4 session will fix it :shrug:

vitesse 17th March 2024 19:05

Not too hopeful that a T4 session will do any good, and an echo from the distant past by Phil-T4 says that if a T4 is used to correct the mileage it might do more harm than good.

Any chance you have Toaf or know someone who has? It’s very easy to see what mileage is recorded in the other modules such as the LSM and whether they have changed too or if you now have mis-matches. I’m inclined to guess no mis-match as usually the IPK displays “ERR”.

You could have a new EEPROM fitted and corrected to the same mileage as eg the LSM, but I think you first need to find out what the other modules read.

Good luck