The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rear silencer differences (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299963)

p2roverman 14th October 2019 18:32

Rear silencer differences

What's the difference between the rear silencer fitted to the saloon compared with that fitted to the tourer? I have both models of KV6 and see no differences. Are they interchangeable? - if so why separate parts?

It seems several outfits are offering silencers for the saloon but not the tourer. Also recommendations on make/supplier? It seems Walker ones (for the tourer) aren't currently available.

p2roverman 18th October 2019 22:53

Surely someone knows the answer to this question?

I note Rimmers only have the saloon one available currently- is it suitable for the tourer, and if not, why not?

clf 19th October 2019 02:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by p2roverman (Post 2769544)
Surely someone knows the answer to this question?

I note Rimmers only have the saloon one available currently- is it suitable for the tourer, and if not, why not?

I may be wrong, but I believe the tailpipes for the tourer are longer :shrug: I imagine that if this is correct, a saloon rear box, could be boomy when fitted to a tourer, due to a difference in resonance with the bumper.

SD1too 19th October 2019 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by p2roverman (Post 2768637)
I have both models of KV6 and see no differences.

Well in that case you've answered your own question Mike! :D I was told that sometimes different part numbers are used for different applications of the same part in order easily to monitor sales.

Simon

p2roverman 19th October 2019 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2769585)
Well in that case you've answered your own question Mike! :D Simon

I said " I see no differences" i.e looking at them they seem the same, I've not put a ruler over them , and anyway, who's to say either car has the corrrect box still fitted?
What I have done is order one of each, both Walker boxes which I understand are good quality. It's been suggested the tourer box has longer tailpipes, we'll see when it arrives.
As I have saloons and tourers, both will get used in time.

p2roverman 21st October 2019 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2769552)
I may be wrong, but I believe the tailpipes for the tourer are longer :shrug: I imagine that if this is correct, a saloon rear box, could be boomy when fitted to a tourer, due to a difference in resonance with the bumper.

You are right. Now that the second box has arrived I can see the only difference is the length of the tailpipes.
Both boxes are Walkers, but different batches. The way the ends are rolled over is different as is the identification lettering pressings in the skin. I'll post photos later.

clf 21st October 2019 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by p2roverman (Post 2770209)
You are right. Now that the second box has arrived I can see the only difference is the length of the tailpipes.
Both boxes are Walkers, but different batches. The way the ends are rolled over is different as is the identification lettering pressings in the skin. I'll post photos later.

I knew I had seen an image where the pipe is slightly different. The box itself will likely be a standard box, just made with the correct shape/size pipework. With that in mind, the boxes could be different even for the same application within some brands. They will be assembled with whatever boxes they have in stock at that time, or a new design has come to market etc.

p2roverman 28th October 2019 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2770215)
I knew I had seen an image where the pipe is slightly different. The box itself will likely be a standard box, just made with the correct shape/size pipework. With that in mind, the boxes could be different even for the same application within some brands. They will be assembled with whatever boxes they have in stock at that time, or a new design has come to market etc.

Yes, only significant difference is the tailpipes.
Wanted to post a couple of photos taken, but it's asking for a URL. Noramally I can just brouze and select a photo, so what's gone wrong?