The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Leaky boot on a Rover etc.. Pah!! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310659)

ceedy 23rd January 2021 16:38

Leaky boot on a Rover etc.. Pah!!

You should see my lads 330D Tintop .
Car had odd electricals, like battery appearinng to be bit flat ?.

But few days ago it would not start, so him think battery finally dead, got another.

We take out the battery, what a nightmare just for a battery, bmw designers.:duh:

The battery tray held in by 5 bolts and a rubber mount bigger that most engine mounts :duh:

Only to find the compartment full of water. so used my Electric oil pump to extract 6 litres or so :eek:.

Read up and it seems they suffer from clogged rubbers drains, hmm! familiar ! ;)

Never seem so many cables just for the battery. all with daft hidden clips.

So after draining the water we find the Terminals are routed through the wheel arch into the car and both being right at the bottom have been in the water , reckon this has never been touched so probably 10 years.

And the pos terminal had corroded off, so most likely wasn't the battery.

So have nowt else to do i found some copper and knocked up a new ring terminal , ans oldered rather than a crimp , as twas quicker than trying to find one over the weekend , few bits of heat shink and it looks better than the Original, thicker copper too.

And now to top it off he's shut the boot , and with no power Doh!!

Reckon we can put power in under the bonnet tomorrow.

Seems BM's suffer from dodgy light seals, blocked drains and leaky boot seals.
Always wondered where we inherited them all from :D

And all on freezing cold day .

:getmecoat:
C

ceedy 24th January 2021 14:48

Well that didn't work, BMW put a Pos point under the bonnet for external powering / jump starting , but its not any good if the battery is out and breaks the circuit :duh:.

Being a tintop coupe the rear seats do not fold down ?

:mad:

C

Jamiewelch 24th January 2021 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2861489)
Well that didn't work, BMW put a Pos point under the bonnet for external powering / jump starting , but its not any good if the battery is out and breaks the circuit :duh:.

Being a tintop coupe the rear seats do not fold down ?

:mad:

C

Check with BMW if that car had a recall, there were quite a few that had battery cable and rear light replacements under a few different recalls.

The person who bought it new didn't go for the foldable seat option, quite a common option on german cars.

The various leads on the battery are for the IBS and for the blowable link. The IBS monitors load, drain and state of the battery and helps the car regulate charging. The the blowable link if part of the airbag system, if you roll the car it will blow and disconnect the power to the car.

ceedy 25th January 2021 14:13

Warranty has long gone , so we're on our own :eek:.

Not even sure this car has the pull release in the boot ? or how to get to it yet!!

And with no battery you can't even move the car as the gearebox is locked :duh:.

c

Jamiewelch 25th January 2021 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2861652)
Warranty has long gone , so we're on our own :eek:.

Not even sure this car has the pull release in the boot ? or how to get to it yet!!

And with no battery you can't even move the car as the gearebox is locked :duh:.

c

Recalls and Warranty are 2 different things, ring the local dealer and ask if there are any outstanding recalls on the reg :).

Dorset Bob 25th January 2021 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2861652)
Warranty has long gone , so we're on our own :eek:.c

I don't think recalls have anything to do with warranties.
I had a shiny new ignition barrell, new set of keys, airbag actuators and an airbag fitted on a recall on my 300C when it was 9 years old. ;)

Worth a gander at :smilie_re:http://https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall
You might be lucky.

(EDIT) Jamiewelsh beat me to it!

ceedy 15th February 2021 11:44

At last a warmish day !

So out to look at this dead Beemer, I've asked a few "so called BMW Experts" :duh: and all tell me its going to be a real nightmare :eek:

But after a search on the web i dive under the dash and ..

off with the glove box , ooh! that looks like a BCU ,

Out with it .. at Squirt 12 v down a wire ( after reading up the wiring)

and Voila .. open boot . about 30mins in total, even after putting the pop out cup holders in twice :duh:..
No 1 son will be pleased ..

And in the boot after abother 10 days in the rain, theres another 1 inch of water :duh:, so a boot leak to find , familiar territory :D

Chris

edwardmk 15th February 2021 11:52

I hope no 1 son is appropriately appreciative of all that effort. Very interesting post too. I could have done with a good positive tap to the battery accessible from outside a fully locked ZT-T last week. Going to go over the tow hitch socket circuit later on to see if pin 9 is properly set up with no oxidation. Clever solution using the BCU wiring.:bowdown:

ceedy 18th February 2021 16:36

Duped somehow:duh:

ceedy 18th February 2021 16:37

The Beemer finally mended and moving under its own steam, actually fairly straight forward, but slowed up and affected by the cold and wet and BMW's naff design of not having a boot lock, along with their front jump start connector being made inoperative when the very popular roof drain leak floods the battery area and corrodes off the the leads :duh:.
And the drain rather than having a straight through tube, has a "Special Insert" to stop water splashing up in ? , up 3 feet? I think not :D ?, and this just helps the pipe clog and flood easier :duh:. designers ?? :shrug:.
Had to wait til today to get my son to carry and help put the battery in, its just too heavy for me :o and really awkward to get back in .

C.