The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   oil pressure gauge (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308780)

david2000 23rd October 2020 09:12

oil pressure gauge

hi to all
has anyone fitted a oil pressure gauge to a rover 75 diesel and is it possible and what should the oil pressure be when cold and hot
david

Mike Noc 23rd October 2020 10:38

Never tried it on the M47R, but do every now and again on my Commando. :}

Easy enough to remove the oil pressure switch and attach the gauge. You should get 1.5 Bar at cold idle and 3.45 to 4.5 Bar at 3500rpm with the engine fully warmed up.

Vossy 23rd October 2020 11:25

Is an oil pressure gauge needed though?

I ran a 4.2 XJ6 Mk2, it was always said those engines needed 40psi at tickover when hot, I brought a beauty dirt cheap because the guy said the oil pressure was bad, the engine sounded perfect and it ran like a Jag should, sure enough though as soon as it was warm the gauge would read zero and the oil pressure light came on when ticking over, fast forward three years and 40k miles still the same, I kept the oil clean and changed the filter very regularly and that car ran perfect.
I sold it for what I brought it for plus the private plate on it went for a grand too .. winner winner as they say.

Sorry OP to digress but why do you want to fit a gauge when there is a light that will tell you if there is a problem, even when high miles are reached I don't think these engines suffer with low oil pressure.

It's your car though so please don't take any notice of me :D I think it's my time of the month :eek:

roverbarmy 23rd October 2020 18:15

There used to be "T" pieces that could take a gauge sensor and the pressure switch. Folks would fit an additional pod near the dash to house the gauge itself and then you have a permanent OP gauge as there used to be in the olden days before engines became too reliable to need them! :D;)
Links to examples only at your own risk!

tonytolle 24th October 2020 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by david2000 (Post 2843988)
hi to all
has anyone fitted a oil pressure gauge to a rover 75 diesel and is it possible and what should the oil pressure be when cold and hot
david

You can fit a T piece and a guage ,but only on the end of an extension hose as there is no room down there for anything else. If you take your oil pressure switch T piece ,and new sender unit to a Hyphose depot they will make one for you whilst you wait,they did for me anyway.

COLVERT 24th October 2020 19:32

A modicum of oil pressure is required to mainly remove heat from the white metal bearings. The rest of the engine is simply splash fed.

As oil is virtually in-compressible a surface layer of oil is all that's required. It is just there to stop metal to metal contact which is the cause of wear.

Anything from 5 psi up on tick over is just fine.----:D

It runs 25th October 2020 05:54

If you want one go for it .
Simple operation these days but as stated serves no purpose.
My fiesta and Micra don't have temperature guages just fuel a.speed and revs.
Look on eBay for digital oil guages their has some great development in the last few years

Mike Noc 25th October 2020 06:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by david2000 (Post 2843988)
hi to all
david

David just to clear up any confusion, do you want to check the oil pressure, or fit a permanent gauge?

david2000 25th October 2020 10:11

hi to all
i want to check the oil pressure but if i fitted a oil pressure gauge i could keep an eye on the oil pressure as i drive
david

roverbarmy 25th October 2020 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by david2000 (Post 2844334)
hi to all
i want to check the oil pressure but if i fitted a oil pressure gauge i could keep an eye on the oil pressure as i drive
david

There really is no need. They just make you paranoid! I had an old 4.2 XJ6 for a while and the "low" oil pressure at tickover always had me worried. I mentioned it to a couple of other Jag owners, who said "Is there any pressure at tickover?", which there was, so no problem. That car ran for donkeys years after I sold it to no ill effect!;)
If you are really concerned, you could always add a buzzer to the oil pressure switch as used on trucks. The buzz every time you switch on will get really annoying though!:}