The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Torque Wrench Calibration (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309417)

planenut 22nd November 2020 17:53

Torque Wrench Calibration

Having suspected that my ancient torque wrench read incorrectly, and not finding any adjuster, I have bought a new one. Silverline make and rates pretty well, I checked its calibration and found it at least 10% out. I'm glad I checked but am annoyed I had no previous knowledge of such a test.

stocktake 22nd November 2020 18:09

Interesting info here
https://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-a-Torque-Wrench

roverbarmy 22nd November 2020 18:18

I was always told to wind the setting right off when not in use but I guess that like a lot of folks, I often didn't!:shrug:

macafee2 22nd November 2020 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2849883)
Having suspected that my ancient torque wrench read incorrectly, and not finding any adjuster, I have bought a new one. Silverline make and rates pretty well, I checked its calibration and found it at least 10% out. I'm glad I checked but am annoyed I had no previous knowledge of such a test.

How did you test its calibration? As for Silverline, I have a couple of their tools, I wont buy another one. That was me being polite

macafee2

Sprinter 22nd November 2020 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2849893)
How did you test its calibration? As for Silverline, I have a couple of their tools, I wont buy another one. That was me being polite

macafee2

Totally agree. I know they are cheap but still overpriced for what you get.

Worst case was a pack of drill bits that seemed to be made of cheese. Managed to break them all in a single job. Bought a bosch bit and finshed the job and still have it.

planenut 22nd November 2020 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2849893)

macafee2

Having checked out a few advisory videos, using a grounded road wheel, set the wrench to first, 30, then 40 and 50, using a luggage scale, pulling the wrench whilst on a wheel nut.
Now to get another few guide videos past my eyeballs.

The Silverline wrench came out best on a few reviews.

T-Cut 23rd November 2020 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2849909)
- - - set the wrench to first, 30, then 40 and 50, using a luggage scale - - - .

How did you calibrate the luggage scale? Calibration against a standard implies that the standard is accurate. That's not so easy in a DIY situation. All you can do is calibrate the tool using first principles, applying a known load at a measured distance to create a calculable moment/torque. Clearly, the load/weight must be 'accurate' as well as the measurement. I reckon a low/medium priced tool that's accurate to within 10% of the indicated value is pretty good. You don't need an NPL certificate for a car tool.

TC

roverbarmy 23rd November 2020 09:01

Whatever happened to "nipped up", "grunt" and "all you've got"?:shrug:
:getmecoat:

T-Cut 23rd November 2020 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2849952)
Whatever happened to "nipped up", "grunt" and "all you've got"?

Ah, thanks. I always wondered what these extra settings on mine were: 咬死, 咕unt and 你所拥有的
(checked by Google Translate).

TC

kelvo 23rd November 2020 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2849887)
I was always told to wind the setting right off when not in use but I guess that like a lot of folks, I often didn't!:shrug:

Something that I was always taught as an apprentice and still do is wind the torque wrench off after I have finished using it.

I have a couple of 1/2 drive Norbar torque wrenches which were prizes I was awarded during my apprenticeship and find these good to use. These I know came with calibration certificates.

I do have a big, battered 3/4" drive one for doing wheel nuts on the bus, don't know where I picked it up but obviously been abused as the calibration scale is off but when I need to use it I take it into work and set up on our torque analyser and mark it, as the setting seems consistently off through the range.