The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MOT failure so Connie and me are in the dog house. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316831)

patrolman pete 14th December 2021 11:14

MOT failure so Connie and me are in the dog house.

I had to let the MOT lapse as I wanted Dave Johnson to fit me in for an MOT after falling out with the last place that tested it last year for not honouring a Moog warranty on a front suspension arm but that's another story!

Ten days out of MOT and she has failed on the rear sills that my mate repaired for me but unfortunately not enough weld on them , so I've just ordered Tom Hobbs panels off EBay and I might have just bought the last set as I might as well get them done properly.

It has been noticed that the exhaust heat shield to protect the fuel tank is missing ! Probably not there last year as if it had come loose the wife would have let me know . Not listed by Rimmer Bros. or DMGRS so I need to ask around and until then she is parked on her drive until further notice ! :icon_redface:

smudge.g 18th December 2021 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrolman pete (Post 2912257)
It has been noticed that the exhaust heat shield to protect the fuel tank is missing ! Probably not there last year as if it had come loose the wife would have let me know . Not listed by Rimmer Bros. or DMGRS so I need to ask around and until then she is parked on her drive until further notice ! :icon_redface:

Whilst carrying out some rust-proffing recently I noticed that mine has no heat shielding at all and has never been mentioned in 4 MOTs! I dont think the diesels get that hot anyway to need them (or maybe Im wrong on that point!).

regrds

patrolman pete 18th December 2021 16:20

I was told that they are now part of the test as they were fitted from the factory. It was mentioned a couple of MOT's back that a heat shield was loose and I remember asking that as it was on the ramp , could they sort it but the dodgy garage appears to have ripped it off the car and binned it !

The missing shield is noted as a dangerous defect. As they are not available new , I've had to remove a corroded one from a scrap car costing me £10 and repair it with metal plates bigger than penny washers and fit it to the car but I feel better it's now fitted.

Tom's sill repair panels have arrived so I need to find a garage to fit them and because of the Christmas delay, I will have to pay for a full MOT again as you only get 10 days for your free retest !

sworks 19th December 2021 11:51

Heat shields are now part of the MOT

Bob Williams 20th December 2021 08:06

My rear heat shield had been corroding and the washers used to fix it were getting bigger and bigger but I managed to spot a good second hand one on eBay over a year ago and bought it ready for a fail! When it went in for a service the 'new' shield was fitted to the car. It is worth keeping an eye on eBay as they do turn up.

clf 20th December 2021 12:55

If using penny washer or any kind of washer, add a piece of rubber between the fastener and the heat shield to prevent tearing (or further tearing) to the shield.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

MarkS 20th December 2021 17:30

You must have one heck of a doghouse, to fit a Connie in :xmas-smiley-003: