The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Raspberry Pi (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=119306)

Steve916 12th July 2012 18:56

Raspberry Pi

My Rasberry Pi turned up today after weeks of waiting:}
Now I can get playing with an in car media centre;)

Rocket 12th July 2012 19:59

When did you order it?

Mine was May 30th.

Steve916 12th July 2012 20:06

I think I ordered it around the end of march, then got an email 6 weeks ago to make payment, then it arrived today

Rocket 12th July 2012 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve916 (Post 1052886)
I think I ordered it around the end of march, then got an email 6 weeks ago to make payment, then it arrived today

When I said mine was May 30th, that's when I paid so hopefully not much longer to wait.

Steve916 12th July 2012 20:19

Just checked back through my emails and I actually paid on 30th May too, so you should get it within the next few days;)
Have you got yourself a case sorted out?

Rocket 12th July 2012 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve916 (Post 1052919)
Just checked back through my emails and I actually paid on 30th May too, so you should get it within the next few days;)
Have you got yourself a case sorted out?

No, not yet. I have got linux on another machine at the moment as I am no expert with it. I think XBMC will come in handy also. Have you any thoughts on how you would incorporate it into the car. I have highline fitted so I may just hook it into the av on the video module for a start. (mono only)

Did you order with RS or Farnell (spl)

Steve916 12th July 2012 20:46

Ordered mine from RS. I have seen plans on the web somewhere for a DIY box. Basically you print it on some cardboard and cut it out and fold it into shape. Has all the cutouts for USB etc. actually looks better than it sounds.
Mine came with a USB mains adaptor and an sd card with Linux installed on it.
I have a radioguy dd unit, which I was just going to plug the video out of the Pi into the av in on the dd unit. However, I have just bought a rear roof mount DVD screen and headphones. It has 2 video in plugs, so I am going to connect one of these to the Rasberry Pi, and one to the dd unit. The Pi will probably live in the glovebox with a USB Bluetooth adaptor plugged into it. A standard 12v to 5v USB adaptor will power the Pi. I will use a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse or similar to operate it. I'll install a media program (xbmc or similar) onto it and have films etc loaded onto a USB stick or drive.
That's my plans;) Hopefully it'll work

Rocket 12th July 2012 21:03

Yep, my ideas are much the same. Mine will be in the back (Tourer). I did see a 12v usb hub (switch) that would enable plugging in a few different devices. I too was thinking of films on sd card or maybe flash drive. Wireless keyboard, I found a small one with a touch pad. Maybe wireless for getting onto the net at BT hotspots (that's who get my internet access with.) Maybe bluetooth for my phone. Just kicking ideas around until it arrives.

championdaddy 12th July 2012 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve916 (Post 1052818)
My Rasberry Pi turned up today after weeks of waiting:}
Now I can get playing with an in car media centre;)

ok....its official.....im a numpty......what is raspberry pi......other than a tasty savoury treat ?????:shrug::shrug:

jase 12th July 2012 21:10

the pi xbmc works out of the box with the logitech k400 wireless keyboard (mouse pad built in) and only one usb used.

i found the xbmc a bit laggy but i`m sure they`ll improve it over time, especially if touch screen is added instead of keyboard.

looks a nice bit of kit and i`m wondering if someone will create an interface to
start my car and turn heated seats on via mobile phone ;)

after the initial eagerness, mine is currently sitting in a drawer doing nothing....

regards
jase