The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What I did with my Rover 75/MG ZT today? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=172123)

Pete 28th November 2017 19:10

Did nothing on the MG today, but come Thursday when I finish for the week the now very dead alternator will be coming off.

bl52krz 28th November 2017 22:02

Just bought some pagid rear discs. They are painted so should not rust? We shall see.

marinabrian 28th November 2017 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2569156)
Just bought some pagid rear discs. They are painted so should not rust? We shall see.

Best not press the brakes once you fit them to the car David, you won't want to wear off the paint :D

Brian :shrug:

7T5 29th November 2017 13:10

Quote:

If its the barrel centre part they last a while, but now we have salted roads mine are rusting up.

Arctic 29th November 2017 17:57

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Give the centres a extra coat of silver paint before fitting using the original coat as an under coat, then they should last a few years as mine have, once you see a dark patch appearing re-coat, you can do the edge also ;) mine have been on since 2013, second photo was taken in 2016, and they still look like that now 2017, maybe need doing in the spring ?

kelvo 30th November 2017 18:26

Got snowed on but finally put all the front end back together after waiting for the ducting to replace the air intake - much easier with bumper removed.

Sounds much better now with twin horns and looks better with stainless screws underneath. Greased all the screws for the ducts when refitting and adjusted the bonnet pins so it now sits a bit better with the wings.

took a while for the outdoor temperature display to read the correct temperature instead of -30C, I know it was cold but....

marinabrian 30th November 2017 19:36

Pressed the snowflake button and drove around with heated seats, knitback driving gloves, cravat, and a quilted smoking jacket.

Snowtastic :getmecoat:

Brian :D

keithst24 2nd December 2017 16:27

Got my expansion tank fitted....Thanks Rick 😁

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8f577a8982.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b60c48356c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SideValve 2nd December 2017 18:34

Took my heater matrix out and flushed (the missus has been complaining about cold feet). All went well, up to temperature, system bled, just starting to replace the covers and .... drip .... drip .... drip.
Break the offending joint, liberal smear of silicone, run niece to Heathrow in t'other half's Toyota (Made in England). Re-test on return and seems all good this time. Will check again in the light tomorrow before tidying up.
Next job is a back box.

suzublu 2nd December 2017 18:57

Errmmm, nowt:shrug: https://i.imgur.com/o66etvEl.jpg

keithst24 2nd December 2017 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2570580)

A crock of gold under that rainbow Ronnie :icon_lol:

suzublu 2nd December 2017 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithst24 (Post 2570582)
A crock of gold under that rainbow Ronnie :icon_lol:

A crock of chrome Keith ;):D

keithst24 3rd December 2017 09:44

:xmas-smiley-008: Just put the ZT battery on charge for the day :xmas-smiley-008:

Arctic 3rd December 2017 12:27

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithst24 (Post 2570731)
:xmas-smiley-008: Just put the ZT battery on charge for the day :xmas-smiley-008:

Hi Keith
Very wise idea at this time of year does not hurt to give the battery a little boost on charge.

Rick-sta 3rd December 2017 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithst24 (Post 2570522)
Got my expansion tank fitted....Thanks Rick 😁

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8f577a8982.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b60c48356c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You're welcome mate :) :icon_lol:

Sprinter 3rd December 2017 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithst24 (Post 2570731)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2570786)
Hi Keith
Very wise idea at this time of year does not hurt to give the battery a little boost on charge.

Did mine the other day, that should see me through the winter months.

marinabrian 3rd December 2017 21:30

Removed the gash caliper from the ZT, followed by the carrier, then the brake disc, and finally the hub bearing.

The handbrake shoes were next, then a clean up and derusting of the backplate, and servicing of the handbrake mechanism.

Disc was cleaned off with a coarse cup brush in the angle grinder, followed by a run over the inner drum with a flap wheel to remove the rust build up.

Hub bearing was next on the list, the oil seal was carefully removed, the inner races removed, then the balls removed from their plastic cages.

The dried grease was washed out with care, the outer races and balls checked for pitting and wear then everything reassembled and packed with fresh LM grease.

Handbrake shoes, were then cleaned, and deglazed under water with wet and dry paper, then dried and refitted to the backplate with new hardware (yes the backplate was in good order )

The overhauled bearing was refitted to the clean stub axle, with a smear of LM grease on the stub axle itself.

Coarse adjustments were made prior to refitting the disc, then finally adjusted through the wheel bolt hole.

The new caliper was mounted to the carrier after fitting the new brake pads, and the bleed nipple opened..........now where on earth did I put my easibleed ??????

Anyway, the light was starting to fail at this point , so I nipped up the bleed nipple and wracked my brain as to the whereabouts of the easibleed kit.

Tools cleaned and put away, disc and caliper covered up for the day, and a well earned shower were just the job :drool4:

After tea, I remembered where the easibleed kit was........in Frosty's boot :duh:

So you can guess what tomorrow's job is going to be :icon_rolleyes:

trikey 3rd December 2017 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2570997)
now where on earth did I put my easibleed ??????

I was going to say... Under the convertible in the garage :icon_redface:

marinabrian 3rd December 2017 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2571002)
I was going to say... Under the convertible in the garage :icon_redface:

Nope, that's where I keep the Lucas ultrasonic welder :getmecoat:

trikey 3rd December 2017 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2571004)
Nope, that's where I keep the Lucas ultrasonic welder :getmecoat:

Ha ha forgot about that!!

Mike Noc 4th December 2017 12:32

Just fitted a Mini compensator to Mr's Noc's Auto.

Fitting was easy enough, but getting the old one out was a pig of a job. Someone had tightened the adjusting nut all the way down so that it ended up widening the channel and everything was rotating when trying to loosen it. Not only that but the threaded end was bent so it wouldn't come out of the channel.

One thing I have been lucky with my own car is that the only people from new to service it to 118k miles were main dealers, and from there to 395k miles me.

The cowboys who worked on the Auto in the past couldn't even put the rear seat back in properly. :icon_rolleyes:

Quick update: Just before refitting the rear seat squab, I found one of the seat belts twisted. Reason for this was the bracket had moved round half a turn. It could do this because the anchor bolt was loose. :eek:

Yee Haa!:dung:

p2roverman 4th December 2017 18:21

Made a start looking for and fixing a power steering fluid leak. Practiced by taking a pump off the spare KV6 engine. Dead simple, now to look for the simplest way of doing the same job on the engine in the car.

Proud owner 6th December 2017 20:30

Put on the clear side repeaters from DMGRS and 2.5 litre torpedo badges from Steveo that both arrived in the post today, really lifted the car.

Mike Noc 6th December 2017 21:20

Both droplinks replaced and the back box cut off ready for the new one to be fitted. Also replaced the gaiter for the offside track rod end.

Should be enough for an MOT pass on Saturday - as ever I live in hope!

jackatesme 8th December 2017 16:08

Made a start on dash change,small passenger piece O.K., removed long piece but trouble getting the cable off fresh air wheel. Gave up now freezing cold,try again tomorrow.

oswestryalex 8th December 2017 21:59

with the snowy icy weather, have SORNd the Connie R75 - will turn engine and move, but keep away from the gritted roads!

Mike Noc 8th December 2017 22:15

New back box fitted. Despite measuring a couple of times, the cut for the old one was a tad lean, so had to remove another 10mm from the pipe to allow a nice stress free fit.

Mike Noc 9th December 2017 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2571103)
Just fitted a Mini compensator to Mr's Noc's Auto.

Fitting was easy enough, but getting the old one out was a pig of a job. Someone had tightened the adjusting nut all the way down so that it ended up widening the channel and everything was rotating when trying to loosen it. Not only that but the threaded end was bent so it wouldn't come out of the channel.

One thing I have been lucky with my own car is that the only people from new to service it to 118k miles were main dealers, and from there to 395k miles me.

The cowboys who worked on the Auto in the past couldn't even put the rear seat back in properly. :icon_rolleyes:

Quick update: Just before refitting the rear seat squab, I found one of the seat belts twisted. Reason for this was the bracket had moved round half a turn. It could do this because the anchor bolt was loose. :eek:

Yee Haa!:dung:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2571870)
Both droplinks replaced and the back box cut off ready for the new one to be fitted. Also replaced the gaiter for the offside track rod end.

Should be enough for an MOT pass on Saturday - as ever I live in hope!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2572357)
New back box fitted. Despite measuring a couple of times, the cut for the old one was a tad lean, so had to remove another 10mm from the pipe to allow a nice stress free fit.

Welll that was all worthwhile - MOT passed with no advisories. :icon_lol:

trikey 9th December 2017 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2572458)
Welll that was all worthwhile - MOT passed with no advisories. :icon_lol:

Result! Well done Mike.

keithst24 9th December 2017 11:29

Looked at it covered in frost :snowball: maybe I'll start the clean tomorrow :icon_redface:

trikey 9th December 2017 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithst24 (Post 2572478)
Looked at it covered in frost :snowball: maybe I'll start the clean tomorrow :icon_redface:

Same here, its too cold to do anything Today.

Mike Noc 9th December 2017 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2572477)
Result! Well done Mike.

Cheers Andy. Forgot to add to the list the NSF rear bush was replaced.

Done a few of these now and I leave everything in place and just undo the two bush bolts and cut the rubber inner off the lower arm if needed. This time round it pretty much fell off with a bit of a push.

Will sort me Dad's Astra with a service and hopefully another year's ticket next week, and then over Christmas get Big Ron my 75 ready for the MOT test - that might be a bit more of a challenge!

trikey 9th December 2017 12:04

Cutting the inner metal part off is definitely the easiest way of removing the remnants of the bush, its a nice drive once these have been replaced.

greendriver 9th December 2017 14:53

Fitted a new power vis in my ZTT

Nobby 9th December 2017 17:40

Cleared some space in the garage and gave the old girl her winter prep: wheels off, cleaned and waxed; wheel arches cleaned including behind the arch liners; front springs examined and greased; handbrake adjusted; underside and wishbones/suspension brushed down and then given a top-up coating of Dynax UP; all systems, lights etc checked and FBH test run for 20 mins and finally polished the windows. Froze me :shocked: off so no more playing with cars this year :xmas-smiley-008:

:christmas:

keithst24 9th December 2017 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobby (Post 2572616)
Cleared some space in the garage and gave the old girl her winter prep: wheels off, cleaned and waxed; wheel arches cleaned including behind the arch liners; front springs examined and greased; handbrake adjusted; underside and wishbones/suspension brushed down and then given a top-up coating of Dynax UP; all systems, lights etc checked and FBH test run for 20 mins and finally polished the windows. Froze me :shocked: off so no more playing with cars this year :xmas-smiley-008:

:christmas:

You have been a busy boy :icon_lol:

Nobby 9th December 2017 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithst24 (Post 2572632)
You have been a busy boy :icon_lol:

and I'm paying for it now - ache all over and still not warm - getting too old for this lark :laugh:

trikey 9th December 2017 21:30

I managed a ten min T4 session Today, then woosed out and came back inside.

WHERE IS SUMMER!!!!

marinabrian 10th December 2017 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2572719)
I managed a ten min T4 session Today, then woosed out and came back inside.

WHERE IS SUMMER!!!!

Ya big tart :snowball:

I'm wandering about in tee shirt and jeans, and I'm stripping brakes down :icon_lol:

Fusilier 10th December 2017 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2572852)

I'm wandering about in tee shirt and jeans, and I'm stripping brakes down :icon_lol:

Brian

Does that mean you have packed away the summer string vests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxXbpHeIrUc

Stu

trikey 10th December 2017 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2572852)

This does not surprise me one bit!

bl52krz 10th December 2017 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2569449)
Give the centres a extra coat of silver paint before fitting using the original coat as an under coat, then they should last a few years as mine have, once you see a dark patch appearing re-coat, you can do the edge also ;) mine have been on since 2013, second photo was taken in 2016, and they still look like that now 2017, maybe need doing in the spring ?

Thanks for that Steve. I was thinking of getting some high temperature paint and spraying them. I have some high quality industrial aluminium paint, from my working days, that I use on the calipers that seems to last well. And Brian, I am very light footed so the paint will hardly be scratched. Lol

marinabrian 10th December 2017 15:40

Well that's the brakes sorted out, amazing the price difference when cross referencing parts..........LINK

Sadly the two new tyres I ordered earlier in the week haven't arrived yet, otherwise I'd be heading up to the MOT station tomorrow.

Never mind though, I have a nice 75 diesel automatic with snow button, Werther's Original dispenser and heated seats to port myself about in until they arrive :drool4:.

After a quick test drive of the ZT, I'd forgotten how differently they drive to a 75 :drool4:

Sunday driver..........nope :devil:

vacuman 10th December 2017 18:11

Out in my ZTT today for my fishing club's Christmas match. A little worried about the weather but no scary moments and despite the snow most caught a few.
http://www.verulam-angling.co.uk/ima...match_2017.jpg

17 turned up out of 28 booked in. Even those with 4x4's bailed out...wimps :laugh:

LotusLC 10th December 2017 18:22

Blimey, well done going out in that weather. I love my fishing , but not that much :icon_rolleyes:

bl52krz 10th December 2017 18:30

I used to be a regular fisherman all year round. We have even broken the ice with a big heavy chain a few times where I fished, with the owners consent and while they were present at the time. And sat freezing like a snowman for 10 hours to catch................................nothing. Nice bacon and egg sandwiches by the owners though.

Arctic 10th December 2017 20:20

7 Attachment(s)
Cleaned the snow of the MG and the FL, went out on venture to track down a snow shovel, managed to get one in the end, cars cleaned only to be covered once again is a snowy coat :icon_rolleyes: so will be repeating the job tomorrow morning :snowball:

simondhopkins 10th December 2017 20:20

Smug!

Just drove it up an icy road looking smugly at the lad in the corsa revving its nuts off trying to spin its wheels up the hill. Press the snow button on the auto box and let the car do its thing. Worked a treat.

SideValve 10th December 2017 21:33

What I did yesterday - replaced my top hose (thread had gone on the air-bleed screw). Not a bad job apart from dropping my screwdriver bit down into the bay right at the start.
Had intended to take it for a blast today to clear any air bubbles but decided it was a better day for keeping the missus company on the sofa :¬)

oxfordblue75 13th December 2017 20:06

Took my car to see Phil T4 who got my headlamp washers and boot remote working, such a nice guy, thanks for all your help. ::)

suzublu 13th December 2017 20:18

Walked past it on the way to get a bottle of wine. Walked past it again to drink said bottle a bit later:drunk::wine:

keithst24 13th December 2017 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2573936)
Walked past it on the way to get a bottle of wine. Walked past it again to drink said bottle a bit later:drunk::wine:

Is it still wrapped up :xmas-smiley-008:...........and I don't mean the vino :icon_lol:

suzublu 13th December 2017 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithst24 (Post 2573938)
Is it still wrapped up :xmas-smiley-008:...........and I don't mean the vino :icon_lol:

No Keith, took the cover off the other day to give it a run out, got home & it started raining so left it off. Never stopped raining/snowing since:duh::D

keithst24 13th December 2017 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2573940)
No Keith, took the cover off the other day to give it a run out, got home & it started raining so left it off. Never stopped raining/snowing since:duh::D

Sunny Seaton :getmecoat::xmas-smiley-041:

jgriffo 13th December 2017 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by simondhopkins (Post 2573020)
Just drove it up an icy road looking smugly at the lad in the corsa revving its nuts off trying to spin its wheels up the hill. Press the snow button on the auto box and let the car do its thing. Worked a treat.

Have done the same over the last few days :xmas-smiley-008:

It does fill you with certain happiness when you watch several others attempt an icy hill and fail (then stupidly abandon it at the bottom) then you press one button and away you go, no wheelspin, no sliding about anywhere.
Really is an impressive and well thought out, but at the same time simple thing.

bl52krz 13th December 2017 21:10

No need for a snow button really. Just let the clutch out gently, no right foot, and away you go.To get to where I live is all uphill, and have always got home without to much trouble.Watched the woman visitor trying to get off the front garden yesterday, three million revs and standing still, and cars getting stuck on the road outside. Shame really no buses were running up here, they could have got on the bus.

Proud owner 13th December 2017 22:30

Just had my cam belts changed today, as there was no evidence of them ever having been done in the service receipts of my newly purchased 2.5 V6, the garage showed the old ones to me and thought they were the originals.

marinabrian 14th December 2017 06:33

Fitted the new tyres to the ZT, give it a wash as the hosepipe had defrosted, then reversed it onto the drive.

Today's jobs include a check of the lights, then a run along to the MOT station.

One of these days I'm going to have it tested during the summer, I can't abide the spanners freezing to your fingers when working outside on the car :icon_rolleyes:

marinabrian 14th December 2017 07:44

Hmm, flickering LED festoon number plate lamps, I'm off to the factors to buy real bulbs in a few minutes :getmecoat:

marinabrian 14th December 2017 08:25

Number plate lights sorted, quick vacuum out and test booked for 11.30 .........we shall see what happens :panic:

Mike Noc 14th December 2017 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2574021)
Number plate lights sorted, quick vacuum out and test booked for 11.30 .........we shall see what happens :panic:

I'd wish you good luck Bri, but I know with the standard of your workmanship and attention to detail you won't need it. :xmas-smiley-008:

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2573995)
One of these days I'm going to have it tested during the summer, I can't abide the spanners freezing to your fingers when working outside on the car :icon_rolleyes:

Ha ha me too. My 75 and Freelander, Mrs Noc's 75 and my Dad's Astra all get tested around Xmas time.

Weather's a bit warmer down here in the sunny south of course! :icon_lol:

marinabrian 14th December 2017 11:47

Well that's that over for another year, a straight pass without advisories, and the tester even commented on how nice it was inside for being an "ECU test rig"

Perhaps I should have put the ECM I had on test in the plastic housing, rather than strategically placed in a dog poo bag nestled in the top of the plenum :icon_redface:

It's hoying it down with rain outside, so the oil and filters I had planned for this afternoon will have to wait until the weekend.

Winter.............brrrrrr :snowball1:

Skilrove 14th December 2017 17:51

Steering pulley moving sideways

Just left the Rover with the garage, awaiting parts... I had heard a rattling sound earlier in the day and then a loss of steering power assist. Turns out the bolts had been worn away which hold on the steering pump pulley... why?? Because the shaft had somehow moved out sideways, reducing the clearance to the engine mount. Any ideas what happens inside the pump to make that happen??? :icon_question:

SideValve 16th December 2017 11:54

Fitted a new rear silencer - looks like the old one was the original - not bad for 1999. Nice to have her running quietly again :¬)

Sprinter 16th December 2017 13:19

Fitted new gas struts to the tailgate as the old original ones were no longer up to the job.

Managed to find a firm locally who manufacture in house and come with a 2 year warranty.
http://www.bootstruts.co.uk/rover-bo...truts/show/all

Quality seems up to standard and I was impressed with the service.

marinabrian 16th December 2017 17:30

Removed the OSF hub on the project car, and replaced the wheel bearing.

This car had done very little miles in the past couple of years, and coupled with owner neglect/poor repairs was in a very sorry state.

So the list so far...

Repair damaged front door locks

Replace both front springs and dampers of the correct colour codes, along with spring protectors, and not as I bought it with one ZT spring and damper on one side, and one scrapyard 1800 spring and damper on the other :eek:

Replace lower track control arms and bushes

Overhaul all brakes, compensator including rear caliper pistons and seals.

All oils and fluids replaced along with filter, PCV, air, pollen, oil etc

Headlamps polished, intercooler O rings, and gold resistor fitted.

Bonnet replaced due to typical "hand print" dents

Retrofit cruise control and message centre IPK

Rear lamp seals replaced.

Still to do

Source decent drivers front door, preferably Platinum Gold, however not important as repaint of the car is imminent :panic:

Sort out dash trim rattle

Strip off all chrome trims, bumpers, door handles wheel arch liners etc in readiness for repaint.

Source better wheels, as Forkspokes are not my favourite.:icon_rolleyes:

Decide if it is a keeper, as one of the fleet will have to go in the new year :getmecoat:.

Can't think of anything else at the moment :icon_redface:

marinabrian 17th December 2017 15:55

Took the gold one out and filled the lad with go go juice, and the results of yesterday's labour was plain as day...........

.......how smooth and quiet?? a total transformation from it's former self :drool4:

It's coming together, just in time too :icon_redface:

jackatesme 17th December 2017 19:01

Tried unsuccessfully to fit new dash.:icon_cry:

jackatesme 18th December 2017 11:29

Finally got fresh air cable connected,pushed long piece of dash into place, then noticed top left hand corner not sitting correct. Will have to take it back off to try again. Having a break now, energy levels are lacking.:xmas-smiley-008:

Rogue 18th December 2017 13:18

Had a new under bonnet pump fitted and she's home safe and sound again and more to the point under her own steam :)

jackatesme 18th December 2017 14:46

Finally got long piece of dash in,air bag and gear knob tomorrow.
Does the silver ring on gear knob has to be pushed down off knob before removing knob.

madeupname 18th December 2017 14:56

Replaced a bulb for the rear number plate so Kim would pass her MOT. . . and she did :}
Last week I put a new drivers door window in her and put the door cards back on and trim back in place. Still need to take the drivers door card off again to fit the new water shedder and replace the speaker :}

Coups 18th December 2017 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2575280)
Finally got long piece of dash in,air bag and gear knob tomorrow.

Does the silver ring on gear knob has to be pushed down off knob before removing knob.

No mate it doesn’t. Just a firm tug upwards will bring the knob off, chrome ring and all. Just be super careful not to smack yourself in the face when it comes off!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinabrian 18th December 2017 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coups (Post 2575329)
No mate it doesn’t. Just a firm tug upwards will bring the knob off, chrome ring and all. Just be super careful not to smack yourself in the face when it comes off!!

And the technique I employ is as follows....

Kneel on drivers seat facing the back of the car, reach behind you and grasp the gearknob with right hand and pull up sharply.

A black eye for Christmas will not be on the menu ;)

sworks 18th December 2017 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coups (Post 2575329)

This reminds me of many years ago at a meet at Shildon organised by Colin. A member no longer with us (Fred) was having trouble with removing an auto gear knob, a few people had tried and Dave (stocktake) asked me to try. The result was one removed gear knob and a very NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- nose! Lots of laughter and Fred trying to take photos for the forum. Dave thought it was hilarious, right up until the point when the fence he was sitting on broke :laugh:

marinabrian 19th December 2017 15:25

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing really, went to see about some fresh fluids then drove home.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1513700665

oxfordblue75 19th December 2017 16:41

Today I hoovered out the v6's previously blocked, now dry, plenum and replaced the mankiest pollen filter I have ever seen, it even had a tide mark on it :) I also replaced the wiper blades who's rubbers had a nice selection of lichen that David Attenborough would have found interesting .

clf 19th December 2017 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2575726)
Nothing really, went to see about some fresh fluids then drove home.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1513700665

finally getting around to paint over the primer? :p:

marinabrian 19th December 2017 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2575749)
finally getting around to paint over the primer? :p:

Yep :icon_lol:

hpold 19th December 2017 20:21

filled the diesel tank up to start on the next 400miles .:xmas-smiley-008:

jackatesme 20th December 2017 14:09

Finally got my walnut dashboard in. Not 100% happy,there is a 3/16 gap between air bag cover and long piece,don't think the long piece is sitting down fully. It will stay like this until next nano meet,where hopefully there will be someone a bit more skillful than me.:xmas-smiley-008: Also notice that airbag cover is a little lighter than other 2 pieces,is this the norm.

roverbarmy 20th December 2017 15:21

Started to get to grips with modern technology (new head unit)!:icon_rolleyes: I've managed to put my CD's onto the USB thumbstick after several attempts at getting to grips with Microsoft Media Centre and "synching".:icon_redface: I've finally sussed what a "source" is and can "navigate" between them! :icon_lol: Also, I've been able to fine tune my head unit to my "large" car.:laugh: The next step was to change the colours on the head unit to match the rest of the Rover lighting but I ended up going round in ever decreasing technological circles, so I quit, before disappearing up my own ****! :lipsrsealed: The sound is now almost as hood as my lounge sound system!

jordimussol 20th December 2017 21:02

Today I went down to the garage and since my other car is blocking it I simply admired it.

minimutly 20th December 2017 22:43

Not today quite, but 2 days ago took er indoors down to Bath for a couple of days. A quick check revealed coolant full to the top of the header, with the internal return hole blocked again.
I had noticed an intermittent heater for a while, so wasn't suprised. Unblocked and bled system, now Ok again. O really do need to flush the system out, as well as the oil cooler.
Yes, someone had kSealed it before I got it...

marinabrian 21st December 2017 23:47

1 Attachment(s)
Drove the ZT and parked it behind a local members "fleet"

A couple of new keys were required, first one, not a problem a 75 Contemporary diesel auto, the second.............arrgh, a wet mouldy poverty spec Disappointing Grey V8 with a K-Bus fault.........

So the 75 took 40 minutes, and the V8, well let's just say I preferred my next job of the day, a visit to the dentist :getmecoat:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...1&d=1513903021

So what can you say about someone with masochist tendencies, not one, not two, but three V8 ZT's, and painted in shades of Starlight Primertallic, and Monogram Tarmacadam, a 190 ZTT in a nice shade of Firefrost, a ZTT diesel, and a 75 in Pearl Black.

At least my mouth isn't as sore as earlier :icon_rolleyes:

trikey 22nd December 2017 18:51

Had a quick look at Debs engine, removing the rear cam cover to find a sheared cam pulley bolt.

It would appear that something in the engine has locked up and the belt continued to turn shearing the pulley bolt.

The only plus point is the genuine belt is still in one piece, this is testament to the quality of genuine parts.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5936722cdc.jpg

madeupname 22nd December 2017 19:00

Drove Kim to a speed awareness course in Rotherham. Very good course and I learnt stuff.
Then drove back with the sun full in my face and couldn't put my new found knowledge to the test.
Oh well, maybe tomorrow :Snowman2:

(can you smell carrots?)

marinabrian 22nd December 2017 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2576648)
Had a quick look at Debs engine, removing the rear cam cover to find a sheared cam pulley bolt.

It would appear that something in the engine has locked up and the belt continued to turn shearing the pulley bolt.

The only plus point is the genuine belt is still in one piece, this is testament to the quality of genuine parts.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5936722cdc.jpg

Gah!!! nasty indeed, a complete nightmare ;(

You really couldn't make that sort of disaster up

kelvo 23rd December 2017 09:19

Not in my ZT as such, but unwrapped another Christmas present to myself - a rear parcel shelf with sunblind and complete with the rear speaker hole in place. Decided I might as well go full SE spec, so just on the look out now for a memory driver's seat.

Will be waiting for warmer weather though before I start fitting the goodies.

EastPete 23rd December 2017 17:58

CDTi thermostat change

1 Attachment(s)
After putting up with 10-12 mile warm-ups on my CDTi in the recent cold weather, I decided a new thermostat might be in order. Yesterday, I dropped the bottom hose to let some coolant out, then topped up with Holts Speedflush and water. Gave it a 10 mile run. Today, I drained the system, including the coolant plug on the back of the engine block. Flushed through with water, then set to replacing the thermostat - not a nice job, given the amount of stuff you have to remove to get to it, and the limited access. The job took about 3-4 hours in total - I can do the same job on my MGB in 30 minutes !

Anyway, a quick test run shows the temp gauge needle starting to move after 2 miles, and up to the 9 o'clock position after 4-5 miles of gentle driving - a definite improvement.

Pete

alanaslan 23rd December 2017 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cusm (Post 1559804)
I lost all feeling in my fingers, changing drop links.

You have my sympathy, Sadly my old hands are like that 30% of the time whilst the rest of the time it is just lack of sensation. Go to the Doctors you may have a circulation problem. I know why mine don’t work well and will just have to live with it, please get yourself checked out.
Glad to hear you got your new drop links fitted. I fitted adjustable ones to the estate a couple of years ago. Never looked back when the saloons time comes it will get the same treatment.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alanaslan 23rd December 2017 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdi90 (Post 1561384)
Today I;

Booked the car in for 4 new tyres

Sprayed inside all the outer door handles with lithum grease cos they keep freezing shut

Whacked a dose of injector cleaner in the tank (double strength)

Purchased a 36mm socket ready for a service in a couple of weeks

Got over taken (but only just!) by the ZT's smaller saloon brother, the ZS. Not sure what he'd done to it but it was belching out black smoke like a good un!

Reminds me of driving back from Le-Mans a few years ago picked up a BMW about 30 miles out of Dover going my we kept passing each other over the next 450 miles. Was driving quite fast had the radar detector on. Anyway I was traveling briskly just north of the Scottish border when he decided to pass me. My 160Bhp tourer was pulling close to 4600Rpm in Drive when the 5 series passed me for the last time just as he was getting along side there were clouds of black smoke from the back of his Car then Thick black Smoke as the rear wheels locked. Whoops I think he killed it.
Not only that I’ll bet he used much more fuel than I did covering the same mileage.
I Love my 75s just hope they out live me I have kept them in good mechanical condition though the large dent in the rear quarter panel from Asda’s car park three months ago will need to be dealt with a near side internal trim strip down then a small amount of filler and respraying the panel will sort it out. It has some wax on it just now.
Ten years ago I would have pulled it that day. Sadly my old age is affecting my cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SideValve 28th December 2017 19:26

Belated Christmas lunch in Solihull followed by an airport run to Heathrow then home - 200+ miles of tedious motorway stuffed with holiday traffic made bearable by the comfort and calm of a 75 cabin. As the missus says, like a sofa on wheels :¬)

oxfordblue75 28th December 2017 19:40

I noticed when i got my latest addition that it had a very weak nearside headlamp with an odd beam pattern at night so today i removed the wheel arch inspection panel and found the bulb wasn't clipped in and was just hanging , clipped it back in now all as it should be .I did notice the inspection panel no longer has the metal turn key clip but a clip similar to the rear bumper top clips. Also the boot carpet has no binding on the rear end like my 2004 , are these some more cost cutting measures ????

neilll 28th December 2017 19:43

Sorry to jump in on this thread but, do you think this holts flush would cure my blocked heater matrix after a "mechanic" put radweld (or something similair)in my cooling system after changing the thermostat on my KV6!
Neil

trikey 28th December 2017 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilll (Post 2578139)
Sorry to jump in on this thread but, do you think this holts flush would cure my blocked heater matrix after a "mechanic" put radweld (or something similair)in my cooling system after changing the thermostat on my KV6!
Neil

I doubt it, once that stuff is in the matrix its near impossible to remove.

neilll 28th December 2017 20:12

Thought not Andy, just looking (hoping) for an easy way out. Looks like it is the ZT-T all winter then!
Neil

kelvo 28th December 2017 20:24

Checked my heated mirrors and washer jets on my new ZT. Wasn't 100% convinced they were working properly or at all, compared to my Mk1 ZT the mirrors felt cold even after being on a while but using a digital thermometer they showed a rising temperature - my Mk1s were warm to touch. I have a set of power fold mirrors to fit and checked the resistance of them and they were around 26 ohms so will compare against them. The washer jets on my Mk1 also seemed warmer - any idea what the resistance of these are?

marinabrian 29th December 2017 12:11

1 Attachment(s)
Wings and front and rear bumpers now ensconced at the bodyshop ready for painting, I have the drivers door to exchange for the much better one i.e. not full of filler and the chrome trims to remove.

However I think it's time for the thicker tee shirt :icon_rolleyes:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1514552749

Don't you just love working outdoors at this time of year :getmecoat:

Richard1973 29th December 2017 14:07

I finished fitting the walnut dash to the ZT.
Started on boxing day and got the gearstick gaitor swapped from the ZT to the walnut surround and fitted the cupholder assembly, the button surround, the eyebrow and the gearstick surround.

I had not been looking forward to removing the airbag cover as some of the bolts had been tight on the one I was fitting, and that was without the awkwardness of it being fitted on the car in the comfort of the living room.

Sure enough I struggled for a bit on the one on the car, and then broke the end off the security torx.

In a way it was a blessing as I ordered a T15 & T20 pair of Stanley bits, and they are far superior quality to the ebay special I was using, which made undoing them no trouble at all.

Anyway, today I removed the technical grey dash pieces, swapped the 75 clock for the ZT in the walnut dash and then refitted it all.

Fiddly pain in the watsit job by and large, and overall took me 3 - 4 hours but well worth it. Always disliked the technical grey.

Trickiest parts were getting the main dash piece to go back in and getting the cigarette lighter plug in the back of the fitting. Need the hands of a 5 year old for that.

marinabrian 29th December 2017 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard1973 (Post 2578315)
I finished fitting the walnut dash to the ZT.
Started on boxing day and got the gearstick gaitor swapped from the ZT to the walnut surround and fitted the cupholder assembly, the button surround, the eyebrow and the gearstick surround.

I had not been looking forward to removing the airbag cover as some of the bolts had been tight on the one I was fitting, and that was without the awkwardness of it being fitted on the car in the comfort of the living room.

Sure enough I struggled for a bit on the one on the car, and then broke the end off the security torx.

In a way it was a blessing as I ordered a T15 & T20 pair of Stanley bits, and they are far superior quality to the ebay special I was using, which made undoing them no trouble at all.

Anyway, today I removed the technical grey dash pieces, swapped the 75 clock for the ZT in the walnut dash and then refitted it all.

Fiddly pain in the watsit job by and large, and overall took me 3 - 4 hours but well worth it. Always disliked the technical grey.

Trickiest parts were getting the main dash piece to go back in and getting the cigarette lighter plug in the back of the fitting. Need the hands of a 5 year old for that.

At least you won't have to look at the god awful "wet and dry sandpaper" dash ever again ;)

I rather think you will enjoy a rattle free cabin, as the late plastic dashboard is normally plagued with them.

Not that I'm biased, but my ZT has a real wood dash too :drool4:

FLYING BANANA 29th December 2017 17:49

Gave Banana a well deserved wash. Topped up the tank with go go juice and then drove over to my brother-in-laws for yet another Xmas dinner.

roverbarmy 29th December 2017 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2578277)
Wings and front and rear bumpers now ensconced at the bodyshop ready for painting, I have the drivers door to exchange for the much better one i.e. not full of filler and the chrome trims to remove.

Looks like the half naked version of mine!:icon_redface:

marinabrian 29th December 2017 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2578429)
Looks like the half naked version of mine!:icon_redface:

Indeed Mike, except mine is the Platinum "can't decide if I'm silver or gold" version, as opposed to the Monogram Starlight Primertallic one.

Anyway, the replacement door is fitted now, albeit without the outer door handle, or brightwork, however not required at the moment, tomorrow's job is to remove the other waist trims, the sill finishers, rear arch liners, the gash rear bumper, rear number plate and trim, and the boot plinth, then temperature depending a jolly good wash underneath.

Only three days to go, before the lad goes into the bodyshop for a spit and lick to cheer him and me up :drool4:

trikey 29th December 2017 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2578277)

Im cold just looking at the pic!

marinabrian 29th December 2017 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2578445)
Im cold just looking at the pic!

It wasn't quite "orange wire" weather, but not far off it Andy ;)

What's the best method of removing the rear quarter panel waist trims ? , as I'm decidedly shy of spare clips :panic:

Bri :cool:

jordimussol 29th December 2017 21:51

Little bit of work today... changed engine mount:

https://scontent.fmad3-6.fna.fbcdn.n...e8&oe=5AB65723

Butchered the rear numberplate light cluster and made a more permanent fix soldering some permanent cables and installing LED bulbs:
https://scontent.fmad3-6.fna.fbcdn.n...1b&oe=5AF4CB31

And this is the look:

https://scontent.fmad3-6.fna.fbcdn.n...f9&oe=5AC776ED

Will replace the numberplate for the plastic ones like you have in UK. We're still on aluminium plates and plastic ones have only been out for a few years.

trikey 29th December 2017 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2578455)
It wasn't quite "orange wire" weather, but not far off it Andy ;)

That needs to be an official weather term:

Yellow flood alert.
Amber snow warning.
Orange wire weather.

saggy0000 29th December 2017 22:04

tried to stop condensation,no chance,more water inside the windscreen than out,any ideas?its damp on the o/s/r passenger foot well but i cant find where its coming from,anyone any ideas?

minimutly 29th December 2017 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2578405)
At least you won't have to look at the god awful "wet and dry sandpaper" dash ever again ;)

I rather think you will enjoy a rattle free cabin, as the late plastic dashboard is normally plagued with them.

Not that I'm biased, but my ZT has a real wood dash too :drool4:

Each to his own, i prefer my black plastic dash to a wood one. It doesn't rattle either, which is suprising since the mg has clocked up a load of miles, much of which were on rough Welsh tracks.

trikey 29th December 2017 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by saggy0000 (Post 2578523)
tried to stop condensation,no chance,more water inside the windscreen than out,any ideas?its damp on the o/s/r passenger foot well but i cant find where its coming from,anyone any ideas?

Have you got water in your plenum? This causes massive amounts of condensation.

marinabrian 29th December 2017 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimutly (Post 2578524)
Each to his own, i prefer my black plastic dash to a wood one. It doesn't rattle either, which is suprising since the mg has clocked up a load of miles, much of which were on rough Welsh tracks.

I much prefer the metal backed dashboard, if nothing else the face level vents fit the hole, and they tend not to crack under the centre vents.

But as you say each to his own, you couldn't give me a black oak dash, as one local member found when he attempted to gift one from his Contemporary SE.

My current project car has light oak fitted, and I'd forgotten just how poor the fit is, especially where the airbag cover "fits"

I'm planning something a little different for the project 75 though.......so watch this space ;)

marinabrian 29th December 2017 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2578527)

And as there is water in one of the rear footwells, probably leaking in the boot too :drool4:

Brian :icon_lol:

minimutly 29th December 2017 22:28

Someone recently suggested a mod to stop boot water tracking down under the seat into the footwells - good idea too.
I think a line of sealer, across the area between the wheelarch and the spare wheelwell was the suggestion. That still leaves the problem of the boot mat and capillary action, but some polystyrene or similar under it should solve that.
On mine I punched a pair of holes in each boot panel just inboard of the side trims, which stops any ingress building up.

marinabrian 29th December 2017 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimutly (Post 2578535)
Someone recently suggested a mod to stop boot water tracking down under the seat into the footwells - good idea too.
I think a line of sealer, across the area between the wheelarch and the spare wheelwell was the suggestion. That still leaves the problem of the boot mat and capillary action, but some polystyrene or similar under it should solve that.
On mine I punched a pair of holes in each boot panel just inboard of the side trims, which stops any ingress building up.

The alternative is to fix the leaks though, it really does make a huge difference not having a foisty dank wet dog smell to the car :xmas-smiley-008:

trikey 29th December 2017 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2578538)
The alternative is to fix the leaks though, it really does make a huge difference not having a foisty dank wet dog smell to the car :xmas-smiley-008:

Totally agree, I hate to see holes drilled in the wheel well.

minimutly 29th December 2017 22:40

I never drilled any, I said they were punched in, and not in the wheel well, the flat are either side. Sort of just in case...

ratchet 30th December 2017 12:08

I finally got around to finishing my cruise control install :smiley:

It looks like I have the common clutch switch problem, as I have to hook my foot under the clutch to enable the C/C. I've tried pushing the switch back in, it does click back into place, but then it pops out again when the clutch is depressed. I'm about to search the forum to find out if there is any adjustment that can be made to the clutch pedal..........if not, I'll live with the problem for the time being as it looks a "naughty word :icon_lol:" to replace.

Thanks to Rick-Sta for the "how to" with no wiring loom in place :bowdown:

Proud owner 30th December 2017 15:11

Spent an enjoyable few hours renovating my leather with the Deep Sea Green dye I got from Scuffmaster by Gliptone, has come up beautifully with a proper clean first and now all the scuffs and scratches have gone. Not cheap as I got the full kit, but a worthwhile investment.

Coups 30th December 2017 15:40

Patched the back box again, on the lookout for something to replace it if anyone has something tasty lying around!

Resecured the rear exhaust heat shield while I was under there. Nice and dry under the car but my feet got cold and wet in the sleet.

bl52krz 30th December 2017 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by saggy0000 (Post 2578523)

Remove the rear seat and check that the ‘tube’ that the seat rests on at the side has not gone rotten from water getting into it from the stupid cable’s that run through it from inside the wheel arch. Mine was tommy cotton when I lifted up the seat to replace the intank pump.

marinabrian 31st December 2017 11:27

3 Attachment(s)
fitted it up with some temporary panels, to make it road legal for the trip to the bodyshop on Tuesday

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1514723013

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1514723023

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1514723037

Still need to remove some other bits and bobs, so not quite there :icon_redface:

LotusLC 31st December 2017 11:42

Looks nice and sunny their Brian, attire, shorts and a vest i would say...

marinabrian 31st December 2017 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotusLC (Post 2579030)
Looks nice and sunny their Brian, attire, shorts and a vest i would say...

Tee shirt and jeans Gary, it may be sunny, however the wind is howling in from the west :xmas-smiley-008:

marinabrian 31st December 2017 15:09

4 Attachment(s)
Well the weather was kind, so I removed some bits ready for a deep clean tomorrow............

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1514735912

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...6&d=1514735925

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1514735985

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1514735955

You couldn't make it up really, the idiot who had done the ghastly paint job on this car had knackered the fuel filler flap, presumably to take to the myopic paint stockist to have some paint mixed :getmecoat:

Hopefully this time next week, the poor lad will have been restored to a much better state.........watch this space ;)

harrisop48 31st December 2017 22:08

Thanks Trikey

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2578527)

Read this the other day and it turned out to be a lightbulb moment.
When there was severe frost on the car recently requiring massive scraping of ice off the windscreen, this also manifested itself on the inside of the screen.

When checking, nine times out of ten my plenum was bone dry. Checked today and had a couple of inches of water in there. Gave it a good rodding with a flexy car aerial that resides permanently inside the bonnet. Now bone dry again. Thanks for the heads up Andy.

sworks 1st January 2018 14:22

Took the 75 for a drive as it’s been sat over Christmas as we were away. Drove it to where the coupe is in storage and put the battery on charge.

marinabrian 1st January 2018 21:29

Manufactured a tool to remove the clips securing the finishers on the door tops, removed the door handles, fuel filler flap solenoid, washed all of the muck and detritus from behind the bumper area, and inside the wheelarches.

Tomorrow will see me temporarily refit the old rear bumper, back lights and drive it to the bodyshop, where I will remove both bumpers, and the front wings.

Then it is the hands of the painter................I can't wait :drool4:

marinabrian 2nd January 2018 22:11

Picked up a replacement fuel filler flap and some trim clips, however on the way to MGR services in Blaydon, some absolute clown ** in an Astra heading in the opposite direction to me decided not only to overtake a car on a zebra crossing, but then proceeded to head the wrong way around a roundabout, forcing me up onto the kerb.

The result is two damaged 11 spokes, one destroyed 6mm Dunlop, and one of my new Continentals fitted for the MOT less than three weeks ago.

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement, I'll remove the tyres tomorrow and mount the wheels in the balancer to see if they're buckled :mad:

And the day started so promisingly with the 75 safely dropped off at the paintshop :getmecoat:

Brian :icon_cry:

** insert your choice of expletive here, I certainly did :(

marinabrian 3rd January 2018 15:37

Well it could have been worse I suppose, both tyres are completely U/S as I suspected, however the wheels are still true, and with a bit of careful fettling, the marks will be virtually unnoticeable hopefully.

I've managed to secure a partworn Dunlop to match the one on the offside, and I'll have to see about sorting another new Continental for the rear......at least the offside rear one still has it's bobbles on the tread.

So this will have to go down in history as the most expensive second hand fuel filler flap ever :icon_rolleyes:

P.S. the ZT looks absolutely lush with a set of Comets on the front, like a sort of jacked up 1970's street machine :icon_lol:

marinabrian 4th January 2018 20:01

2 Attachment(s)
Fuel filler flap scrubbed clean, and any traces of gunge removed, a trip up to see the painter, a thumbs up from him in regards to the nice clean filler flap, and he allowed me to watch the application of the base coat :drool4:

It's obviously too early to see what the finished result will be like, but needless to say, it will be a considerable improvement over it's previous incarnation, even without lacquer, the paint finish looks superb.

One of those skills that you either possess or don't, and finding somebody who takes pride in his work to the level of Dave is a rarity these days :bowdown:

Once home again, I sorted out a defective IPK for a member in Ireland, so that's boxed up and ready to go tomorrow, so all in all a good day :cool:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...1&d=1515099531

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...1&d=1515099588

Looks like next week is going to be a busy one fitting up the 75, I can't wait :D

madeupname 4th January 2018 20:30

My dad had a Mini in the 60's. AWB 237 B. Amazing how I've never forgotten that reg number, but can only remember my most recent one now. Except for the 75's of course.
Bluey Turquoise she was too. Luvvly colour and a luvvly car :}

marinabrian 4th January 2018 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeupname (Post 2580532)
My dad had a Mini in the 60's. AWB 237 B. Amazing how I've never forgotten that reg number, but can only remember my most recent one now. Except for the 75's of course.
Bluey Turquoise she was too. Luvvly colour and a luvvly car :}

A good Sheffield registration number too ;)

I've had the following Sheffiecl issued numbers

A178AWA
NWE552X
FWG96V

Funny how some numbers stick in the back of your head

Eddy600 4th January 2018 20:58

Managed to wire up my gsm for the fuel burning heater, electrics are not my strong point, so the amazement on my face when it fired up at after I texted it :D

kc13661 5th January 2018 13:38

Went to the compound today, never been there since around the end of October. The 1.8 did need a little help in the way of some jump leads but alas started instantly off the key..... engaged gears and moved her around a little.

So need to get the battery off and onto a full charge

FLYING BANANA 5th January 2018 15:23

Took The Flying Banana to collect "The Sprouts" interior from Rick-sta for delivery next week. Could not believe the amount of drivers still using there phones whilst driving.

gbs100 5th January 2018 16:20

Well today I fitted a new alternator to my diesel auto. Working from the top it only took me 2 hours inc coffee breaks. Then I replaced the bonnet switch. Next job to do is the o/s/f lower arm:}

bl52krz 5th January 2018 19:26

Hi John. I used to drive to different parts of London during the 60/70s, and it was a mad house then. I well remember getting onto the M1 coming home, and the three lanes as it was then, were reversed with regards to speed. The near side was the fastest lane, and very often you we’re doing 45/50 mph and the third lane was standing still. I think it was down to the usual brain dead example of’ i’ll Get in the fast lane’ syndrome. This used to be the case every time. I used to deliver to Fords of Dagenham parts from brum, and that was another interesting place to go, not for the right reasons. Meant to say I was going to clean the car, but rain and visitors put paid to that.Waiting for the two auxiliary belts to arrive so I can change the old ones that have been on for 6 years.

v6Mark 5th January 2018 20:42

Today I forced my son to change the rear light seals on the poverty spec 2L V6

jordimussol 6th January 2018 08:59

Yesterday I tried to fix the clonk problem in the suspension, turns out it was the part I had not bought. I need the full control arm as well. Thought it'd be the bush arm thingy (that usually goes on many Peugeots and Citroëns) but it's the lower suspension bush.

I also adjusted the handbrake, that was a bit of a mission, and discovered that the rear brake is disc and drum at the same time. I've only ever worked on my own cars and those were either or, not both.

gazcaz 6th January 2018 14:01

At last manage to clean polish and do engine bay.Oil catch nearly full so emptied and Plenums nice and dry...

Proud owner 6th January 2018 14:09

Gave both of my cars a thorough wash and then applied my newly arrived Carpro Reload sealant, boy, that stuff is good!

roverbarmy 6th January 2018 14:16

Washed and dried the Conny, set the date and time on the dash cam (finally worked out how!), stood back and admired it, realised that the cold was reaching the parts that other beers occasionally reach and came in for an empty and a refill!:D

madeupname 6th January 2018 15:27

Removed air intake manifold, and EGR (only a bit of gunge)
fitted in line thermostat and topped up coolant. I'll be cleaning everything up tonight for refitting tomorrow :}

FLYING BANANA 6th January 2018 17:47

Took Banana to the, first for 2018, Rover SD1 meet in Meldreth. 3 cars braved the cold.

david75 6th January 2018 21:42

Did oil change (1.8 NA). Managed not to spill any - well almost - until the funnel slipped when I was decanting the old stuff into a container for disposal. All cleaned up now. :)

Typhoon190 7th January 2018 19:41

Had the engine out a few weeks ago to fit new timing belts and clutch. Slowly getting it back together. Today I refitted the engine wiring loom and upper inlet manifold, and the front brakes with refurbished calipers. Unfortunately the radiator I order was nicely dented, so will have to wait for a replacement. :getmecoat:

vacuman 7th January 2018 20:00

Found some tapes in the loft (when putting the Xmas stuff away) that we had missed in the last clear-out so today I cruised the M25 to my fishing match to the sound of early 90's George Michael. Gosh, it felt good to be retro :D

Halfway there and the airbag light came on again :mad:

Once home and stuff packed away I had a good jiggle of the cables under the passenger seat and it went out again. Other than that, everything was hunky dory.

Proud owner 8th January 2018 18:18

Took my recently purchased 2.5 to Rick-Sta to have a new IPK screen fitted, no more lines and much better as a lot clearer and better contrast than the original one. One more thing to cross off the list.
Cheers Rick!

mbonwick 8th January 2018 19:27

Faffed about in the dark replacing the driver's side dipped bulb.

Headlight is now making a clicking/groaning noise at the extremeties of the self test so I must have knocked something, but what I have no idea...