The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What I did with my Rover 75/MG ZT today? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=172123)

75driver 23rd October 2021 23:19

What I did with my Rover 75/MG ZT today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2904946)
Wire through the bulkhead (Remove the sound deadening near the battery and you will see a grommet in the bulkhead) route through the grommet on the drivers side near the bonnet pull cable, then up through the A pillar tris and across the roof lining to an LED in the interior light or the mirror surround ;)

👍👍That sounds easy …😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolves 75 24th October 2021 05:16

Washed it :}

TomTheTyke 24th October 2021 22:44

Was yesterday actually (apologies).

Removed all 4 wheel arch liners and mudflaps, finding they are much more comprehensively attached than those on my TF, then pressure washed out the arches. Then applied Lanoguard grease to areas at high risk of rust, edges of arches, sills etc, then Lanoguard spray over the rest of the suspension, underbody etc. Then put all the fixtures and fittings back in.

A good day's work including drying time and a lunch break but I'm now happier the car is ready to face winter.

Just as I was packing up I did notice some water in the lens of my rear light, suspecting the infamous seal might have failed on that side? Another job on the list.

SideValve 25th October 2021 20:00

Oil & Filters.
Quick service indicator reset with a paper clip. Think I've been using the same clip for 5 years now. Proper value for money!

ryszard 26th October 2021 23:00

Had an itch I had to scratch or another bucket list car!Here's me getting ready to sell my launch car to make room and yesterday I ended up buying a MG ZT260.
In my past had a few V8,proper old style burbling V8s,have missed that sound so this was always on my wish list to get another,not the greatest of engines but at least the measurements of the car are sensible.As a previous amateur customiser of the 70s always like to have cars different to everybody else.
Regards Ryszard....

trikey 27th October 2021 04:53

Yesterday I replaced all four doors, a bonnet and a pair of front wings, fitted dynamat around the speakers while the door cards were off as well.

Took the opportunity to give the inner wings and inside the doors a good coat of acf50 as well.

Andy24601 27th October 2021 16:59

What a rollercoaster ride...

Drive home from work and, arriving home, discover my V6 has become incontinent - coolant widdling out of the expansion cap. After some faffing around in the near-dark I decide it has to be a head gasket fault -having spent all my hard-won pocket money on the car this is how it repays me...
The next morning and some more faffing (including losing the bleed screw into the darkest recesses of the wheel well) I try swapping out the expansion cap - sure enough 'incontinence' stops and car is fine again. Today I take the car for an MOT and it flies through, scoring a 'highly commended' from the tester - ah the ups and down of 75 ownership...

Rich in Vancouver 27th October 2021 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy24601 (Post 2905432)
Drive home from work and, arriving home, discover my V6 has become incontinent - coolant widdling out of the expansion cap. After some faffing around in the near-dark I decide it has to be a head gasket fault -having spent all my hard-won pocket money on the car this is how it repays me...
The next morning and some more faffing (including losing the bleed screw into the darkest recesses of the wheel well) I try swapping out the expansion cap - sure enough 'incontinence' stops and car is fine again. Today I take the car for an MOT and it flies through, scoring a 'highly commended' from the tester - ah the ups and down of 75 ownership...

They do that to scare you and test your resolve.

TomTheTyke 28th October 2021 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy24601 (Post 2905432)

I wonder if the coolant cap on the V6 a fairly common failure?

I am new to my V6 75 but also have a TF (and had another one before that) where the expansion caps are a regular failure, obviously same 1.8 K series as in the 75, do they fail here as well? Some people in the TF groups change them as a service item. There have also been problems with duff aftermarket parts failing even more quickly than OEM items.

Rich in Vancouver 28th October 2021 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomTheTyke (Post 2905582)

I am new to my V6 75 but also have a TF (and had another one before that) where the expansion caps are a regular failure, obviously same 1.8 K series as in the 75, do they fail here as well? Some people in the TF groups change them as a service item. There have also been problems with duff aftermarket parts failing even more quickly than OEM items.

I bought a set of Viton O-rings on E-bay and swapped them out for the old compressed ones on the cap on my 190. When you see the new seals next to the old ones you can see why they no longer hold pressure.

Andy_with_a_screwdriver 28th October 2021 22:04

MOT sorted

Spent an hour this morning adjusting the handbrake.
When that was done, I took the Tourer to the garage for its MOT test.
Picked it up this afternoon along with a nice new MOT certificate. :cool:
Just a couple advisories for a chipped windscreen and a tyre wearing a bit low.;)
Very nearly 217,000 miles, the moon is in sight....

Arctic 29th October 2021 09:41

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomTheTyke (Post 2905582)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver (Post 2905583)
I bought a set of Viton O-rings on E-bay and swapped them out for the old compressed ones on the cap on my 190. When you see the new seals next to the old ones you can see why they no longer hold pressure.

As above most of the time all that is required to make the cap good again is change the O-rings.

I give these away at the Nano meet or just change out caps that have already had the O-rings changed.
https://i.imgur.com/7X8KZZql.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/teTUEgRl.jpg2

Another trick is to turn over the top seal of the cap
https://i.imgur.com/lhtSIPil.jpg3

https://i.imgur.com/lhtSIPil.jpg4

https://i.imgur.com/iNcVXNtl.jpg5

Lucky Boy 29th October 2021 11:58

Finally got around to getting my conny back on the road after 4 years!.I past the car on to my youngest son in 2015 who took it back up to Cumbria after Brian worked his magic on repairing the ECU and upgraded it. It failed the MOT in 2017 and my son wanted to scrap it as it needed so much work to be done by the garage. Finally got it back home to me in 2019 but couldn’t do anything until recently. Now new rear springs, new rear brake pipes, new brakes and disks all round, new rear exhaust and a tiny bit of welding and it past the MOT. Have had terrible trouble with the sun roof drains even after Arctics hose connector mod. It transpired that the offside front drain tube had been partially crushed about 6 inches from where it connects to the sunroof so was very sensitive to rubbish blocking it. Now appears to be OK. Its wonderful driving it around again after so long. Now just need to get the A/C sorted for Spring/Summer next year.

al_dente 29th October 2021 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Boy (Post 2905663)
Finally got around to getting my conny back on the road after 4 years!.I past the car on to my youngest son in 2015 who took it back up to Cumbria after Brian worked his magic on repairing the ECU and upgraded it. It failed the MOT in 2017 and my son wanted to scrap it as it needed so much work to be done by the garage. Finally got it back home to me in 2019 but couldn’t do anything until recently. Now new rear springs, new rear brake pipes, new brakes and disks all round, new rear exhaust and a tiny bit of welding and it past the MOT. Have had terrible trouble with the sun roof drains even after Arctics hose connector mod. It transpired that the offside front drain tube had been partially crushed about 6 inches from where it connects to the sunroof so was very sensitive to rubbish blocking it. Now appears to be OK. Its wonderful driving it around again after so long. Now just need to get the A/C sorted for Spring/Summer next year.

This is great :-)

Rich in Vancouver 5th November 2021 16:06

Finally the ZT-T190 I had shipped from Germany is road legal and in use. :)
I bought the car from Karl in Westphalia in early June on the recommendation of Pim Appel. The sale was straightforward but the shipping process was complex, partly due to the current shipping crisis and container shortage.
There was a 2 month delay in Rotterdam, caused mainly when the fellow who was supposed to share a 40 foot container with me stalled and eventually dropped out forcing me to go solo on a 20 foot container at an additional 2500 euro cost :eek: The container travelled by ship to Montreal then train to Vancouver where it was unloaded and delivered to me.
Then came the work of getting it registered for British Columbia. The car breezed through the safety test with no issues. All that was required was activating the DRLs (using TOAF) and fitting side reflectors and number plate mounts for the North American size plates.
The paperwork turned out to be a huge pain. The licensing agent didn't care for my translation of the German documents and insisted on a certified translation which cost $300. and took 2 weeks, and the whole process ground to a halt when the car didn't appear on the Imported Vehicle Registry. It turns out that the freight forwarder and missed a letter when entering the vin so the agent was searching the wrong number. :duh: I will never use that forwarder again. (Not just due to the number, but just "Didn't give a darn, poor service") Once that was sorted registration went smoothly and number plates were issued. Four and a half months!
I have since swapped the EBC brakes, K&N filter and a few other bits and pieces over from my destroyed 190, including my dash cam, and plan to send the instrument panel to Rick-Sta for a new IPK. The IPK is really the only issue with the car. The underside is immaculate with only a bit of rust on one rear upper arm which I will replace in the spring. The top-side is also in great shape and will only need a good polish after it's long journey, and the interior is immaculate as well. Next up is an oil change and swapping over my poly bushed lower engine mount followed by a precautionary timing belt/water pump/thermostat change over the winter. Fun and games!
In the meantime I'm happily driving the ZT-T in the awful rainy autumn weather. :)
The photo shows the car on the road to the US border a couple of km from my home.

[IMG]https://images2.imgbox.com/76/78/554Y6eeo_o.jpg[/IMG]

FLYING BANANA 5th November 2021 17:19

Took the Bear on a 200 mile round trip, and I still have petrol left. Not a lot but enough to get me to the garage tomorrow. And no tyre/road noise from the Continental Conti Sports I had fitted on Wednesday.

trikey 5th November 2021 20:02

Drove to reading to drop off a K series engine for Shiner, had to fuel up on the M25... £1.60 for normal diesel :eek:

coolguy 5th November 2021 20:48

Collected my Tourer from the paint shop following a bonnet respray due to lacquer peel (worst I have ever seen). Also had a couple of minor marks on the rear bumper tidied up. Brilliant match as ever - cannot see the join!

bl52krz 5th November 2021 21:40

We went for lunch with our friend’s yesterday. Went back to theirs for a natter and a cup of rosy lee. When we came out for home, I noticed there was water that had run from under the car onto the drive. Thought it was from the air conditioning. My mate said it looked green? Looked in the header tank, and the level had fallen slightly. I check it every Sunday morning. Put some of the ready mixed coolant that I keep in the boot and came home. Had a look in the light this morning, and there was damp under where it was dripping down onto the drive. Expletives followed. Looked in the header tank, and there was no difference in height to when it was topped up last night. Funny! Got it up on ramps and found where it was dripping from, the rear of the brace on the nearside. Got a drop on my finger and it was clear water. Now I wonder where it was coming from? As some of you may have guessed, the plenum. Now this is regularly cleaned out by rodding the drain, end of September. When I got access to the plenum, there was around half inch of water in there, just below the aircon filter. Rodded it out, because the hole was covered in small leaves from the May trees that are on the allotment. The moral of this story is :- CHECK YOUR PLENUMS ARE CLEAR BEFORE WE GET THE AUTUMN RAINS? Cheers lads.

Arctic 6th November 2021 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2906801)
We went for lunch with our friend’s yesterday. Went back to theirs for a natter and a cup of rosy lee. When we came out for home, I noticed there was water that had run from under the car onto the drive. Thought it was from the air conditioning. My mate said it looked green? Looked in the header tank, and the level had fallen slightly. I check it every Sunday morning. Put some of the ready mixed coolant that I keep in the boot and came home. Had a look in the light this morning, and there was damp under where it was dripping down onto the drive. Expletives followed. Looked in the header tank, and there was no difference in height to when it was topped up last night. Funny! Got it up on ramps and found where it was dripping from, the rear of the brace on the nearside. Got a drop on my finger and it was clear water. Now I wonder where it was coming from?
Quote:

As some of you may have guessed, the plenum. Now this is regularly cleaned out by rodding the drain, end of September. When I got access to the plenum, there was around half inch of water in there, just below the aircon filter. Rodded it out, because the hole was covered in small leaves from the May trees that are on the allotment. The moral of this story is :- CHECK YOUR PLENUMS ARE CLEAR BEFORE WE GET THE AUTUMN RAINS? Cheers lads.

Hi David.
Have you cut 15/20mm of each plenum tube hanging down from under the car if not do so, and it should not block up even if a few leaves get into the plenum.

https://i.imgur.com/MqwEpHXl.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/zhR3kJYl.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/OHcGl6il.jpg3

p2roverman 6th November 2021 15:24

Painted with chassis paint the new rear sub-frame and two pairs of new rear upper suspension arms, having had them first grit-blasted and primed. Now to preserve the inside surfaces, perhaps pour paint in and keep rotating the part, then finally a Waxoil or similar for anything the paint has missed.

bl52krz 6th November 2021 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2906806)
Hi David.
Have you cut 15/20mm of each plenum tube hanging down from under the car if not do so, and it should not block up even if a few leaves get into the plenum.

https://i.imgur.com/MqwEpHXl.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/zhR3kJYl.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/OHcGl6il.jpg3

Cheers Steve. I had read your suggestion before on here, although I have not done it. It just shows that you need to keep on top of the plenum cleaning. The two rubber pipes shown in your photo, is where the water was running down onto the brace underneath, and then dripping down onto the floor.The problem I had was the leaves were across the top of the drain blocking it. As soon as i moved them, the water drained out, but I still rodded it , but nothing came out.I must cut the hole in the plenum water cover so I can clear the drain without taking the cover and all the gubbins out.It just shows as you have always pointed out on here, how important it is to keep the plenum drains rodded out.

MSS 6th November 2021 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2906785)
Drove to reading to drop off a K series engine for Shiner, had to fuel up on the M25... £1.60 for normal diesel :eek:

Reading - rough, godless place Reading is. I bet it made Norfolk feel civilised! :cool:

trikey 6th November 2021 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSS (Post 2906906)
Reading - rough, godless place Reading is. I bet it made Norfolk feel civilised! :cool:

I didn't venture into the centre Maninder, where the garage is situated is rather nice ;)

rover_ghost 7th November 2021 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2906753)
Took the Bear on a 200 mile round trip, and I still have petrol left. Not a lot but enough to get me to the garage tomorrow. And no tyre/road noise from the Continental Conti Sports I had fitted on Wednesday.

I do 34 mile with 6L of gasoline driving only in urban..so "city drive". This means the consumption for city drive is 12L per 100km. I have 1.8L Rover 75. Just posting a question if this is usual for urban consumption

Mike Noc 7th November 2021 17:44

You've lost most of us mate - we understand miles per gallon, but litres per 100 km, you might as well be talking Klingon! :getmecoat:

FantasticMrFish 7th November 2021 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2907031)
You've lost most of us mate - we understand miles per gallon, but litres per 100 km, you might as well be talking Klingon! :getmecoat:

Just shy of 20mpg

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

trikey 7th November 2021 19:12

Attacked the rusty sill on the old gold diesel in prep for the pending mot, Mr Hobbs would be proud of my efforts :duh::eek:

Rich in Vancouver 8th November 2021 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2907031)

nukneH!
We speak Klingon here in Canada.
My ZT190 (KV6) was getting about 12.5 L/100km as does my wife's 3.2L 2020 Subaru Outback, my KV6 Freelander got around 13.5 L/100km.
Not a direct comparison to the K4 but 12 L/100km seems a bit much for a 4cyl unless the OP is quite an agressive driver.:driving:

Martin Butler 8th November 2021 12:03

Today, I t cut, mopped and polished my car, It now looks the mutts nuts

FrattonEnder 8th November 2021 13:19

Took the Zed for her first proper run since the Nano back in the summer. 240 mile round trip down to Portsmouth and she didn't miss a beat. Three up with a boot full on the return leg (picked up my daughter and her friend from uni - reading week or some such excuse to come home).
Well impressed with the in-gear acceleration. To get a similar acceleration in the daily driver Mondeo (1.8CDTi, 120bph and 5 years younger) I've got to drop a cog. As far as I'm aware she's not been remapped or had any performance shenanigans going on. Only sipped on a quarter tank of diesel too, so not complaining. Return trip on Saturday? Quite possibly!
Only one spot on the way - AW04FTE. Greeny-blue 75 on the M3 slip-A34. Driver didn't seem too impressed that I sailed passed...

rover_ghost 8th November 2021 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver (Post 2907074)
nukneH!
We speak Klingon here in Canada.
My ZT190 (KV6) was getting about 12.5 L/100km as does my wife's 3.2L 2020 Subaru Outback, my KV6 Freelander got around 13.5 L/100km.
Not a direct comparison to the K4 but 12 L/100km seems a bit much for a 4cyl unless the OP is quite an agressive driver.:driving:

Will convert it, I did 37 miles with 1.6 gallons which was 8.54 pounds. App for fuel consumption calculates that its 10.7 L per 100km not 12 L as i typed before.

Maxfly 8th November 2021 18:25

Did a temp job on my floppy headliner. Was sagging at the rear window, have glued it back in place with copydex glue which has held the other bit round the front windscreen well now for about a year lol. Was mainly to stop it being visible when viewed from outside the car and redoing the material is near the top of my to do list now:D

Ched 14th November 2021 18:50

I jacked up Karens zt today and pulled the drivers side wheel arch cover back, then started the engine and listened to the racket the pulley is making, joy of joys, a job I cant wait to do, a corteco pulley is on order and some new belts from dmgrs.
I changed the droplink that side whilst I was there, the other side can wait till next week.

smudge.g 15th November 2021 09:32

Eventually got the rear brake disc on after much fiddling and scratching of head!! It seems that the discs that i was given with my scrapper, despite saying rover 75 on the box, are actually much smaller internal diameter than the one I removed, by about 10mm, hence my difficulty. lesson learnt, check sizes first even if it looks the part! :getmecoat::getmecoat::getmecoat:

YHT 16th November 2021 12:33

Just replaced the struts on the hatch; a lot easier than I thought it would be. The door collapsing on my head was not a bonus! Propped it open with a fence post whilst the struts were off.

Rich in Vancouver 19th November 2021 05:07

Just placed a good size order with DMGRS for my new ZT-T.
Belts, water pump, associated idlers, tensioner, seals, bolts etc.
Also a thermostat kit and a bunch of other bits and bobs including stainless bumper bolts for use when I install the DRL/Fog lights I got from Rick-sta.
It's going to be a busy winter!:}

mileshawk56 19th November 2021 16:57

Just booked a A/C service for the ZT tomorrow 1400hrs - be interesting to see how much it has gone up. Chris.S.

xsport 19th November 2021 21:35

keep us posted. i use mine all year round. !!

Martin Butler 20th November 2021 13:04

Well this morning I finally got round to changing my front pads, and for once, everything went OK, the pins came out without any problems, the callipers came out easily, discs are well within thickness without any run out, everything went back on easily also, pins were lubricated with copper ease, to ensure the calliper can slide, going to tackle rears and change handbrake equaliser next week, , whilst i had the wheels off, I checked the front suspension, and everything looks good,

75driver 20th November 2021 19:58

Trusty mechanic (& me as trusty onlooker / gofer) changed the front springs & shocks and rear springs on the marmite duotone.
Much nicer to drive now!

bl52krz 20th November 2021 21:19

Decided once again, to start the diesel up that has been sorned for a while. I thought that seeing that the weather was supposed to be going downhill into the cold period, I would start it up. I put the meter on the battery, and it registered 12 volts. I was wondering if it would start, but it fired up on the first turn of the key. Ran it for around an hour at varying revs to put some juice back in and give the engine and ancillaries a bit of exercise. Now the winter is coming, I will have to go round and start it up every week or so.When it was sorned I filled the tank up full, and now it is around just over a quarter full, so will need a few gallons put in, along with the usual Redex. I intend putting the diesel back on the road next year, and at the moment, I don’t know what I will be doing with the V6 Connie. My son has said he wants it, so I might be making another trip with a car to Germany next year. Becoming a bit of a repeat sale. They are worth more over there than here.

mileshawk56 21st November 2021 09:22

Stefan & all, A/con checked, all in order, fluid loss within the stated limits, all working as should, topped up- £70.00, same as June 2019, came to the house. 50mins work. Chris S.

Arctic 21st November 2021 14:10

weekly fluid check & wash

Washed and did the weekly fluid check, all is as it should be :D

https://i.imgur.com/nSKGwRXl.jpg1

Ched 21st November 2021 14:16

Washed the blue zt and then went to the breakfast meet at Frimley, Mmmm, a lovely breakfast.

trikey 22nd November 2021 16:10

Took the old diesel back for a retest following Fridays failure on a rusty sill and a loose track rod end, thankfully a pass when inspected this morning.

Maxfly 22nd November 2021 18:20

Cleaned the interior then gave the outside a good wash too. Popped the club pen in the armrest holder and stuck the club stickers on the rear quarter lights and fitted the phone holder delivered the other day from Rick, delighted all round

BillyMG 22nd November 2021 18:22

I got my MOT too - only failed on 2 rear reg plate light bulbs but got advisories for:

- Vehicle undersealed (??)
- Play in steering rack inner joint
- Brake pipe corroded or covered in grease or other (underseal??)
- Rear suspension arm pin or bush worn but no excessive movement (both sides)

bl52krz 22nd November 2021 21:26

Decided to give the Connie a wash this afternoon. Came up nice and clean again. Guaranteed to rain within 24/48 hours.

Southern Star 23rd November 2021 21:36

Mine passed the MOT yesterday, four advisories.

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Hydraulic leak, but not excessive Steering rack (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Shock absorbers has light misting of oil (5.3.2 (b))
Nearside Front Track rod end ball joint has slight play (2.1.3 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Mike Noc 23rd November 2021 22:08

Well I had a failure, only the one - play in the OSF lower arm outer balljoint, which turned out to be a worn hub lower clamp. All rectified now and another year's motoring hopefully to look forward to. :}

Can't believe I missed it as I always give the car a good check over before the annual test.

Twisterboy 24th November 2021 06:41

Yesterday - Went to Euro Car Parts to pick up a fault code reader (lost mine somewhere) and took the Mother In Law back to the Bus Station and Grabbed a couple of photos in the city centre of Edinburgh.

Rich in Vancouver 24th November 2021 18:34

We are on gas rationing here (British Columbia) due to the recent floods and are only allowed 30L per fill. I had the ZT-T out to drop my daughter off so took advantage of the trip to top it off. Every time I drive that car I get a big grin on my face. It is so nice and tight you would think it is a new car. (Certainly more free of rattles and a better ride than our 2020 Subaru!
I also got a confirmation from FEDEX that my order from DMGRS is on it's way. It's going to be like Christmas when that lot arrives! :D

Twisterboy 25th November 2021 07:13

Giving mine a day off today, as working from home and do not need to use the car today.

Ched 26th November 2021 13:38

I gave up trying to undo the crank pulley bolt and put it all back together, I'll have to take it to a garage for them to do it, I just have to find someone now tho.

Pistons_and_processors 27th November 2021 14:02

Nice little 100mile round trip to collect some replacement parts.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e30482d210.jpg

patrolman pete 27th November 2021 17:00

Whilst sat waiting to find a parking place at a nearby supermarket , I felt the rear of the car give a little nudge ? Looking in the mirror to check if someone had bumped me but no one was there ! As I moved I heard the occasional knock from the exhaust so I pulled in to see the strap had given up causing the box to fall. :duh:

Once home , on my cold windy drive , I managed to fit a strap that I had started to make earlier this year as an experiment but I had to improvise it's fitting by using a couple of jubilee clips to attach it at the top but we are good to go until the spring I hope.

Southern Star 28th November 2021 15:09

Re-wired my number plate lights at all the wiring had gone rotten and the lights had stopped working. Only had MOT 6 days ago too and they were working then.

goltho 2nd December 2021 21:15

Popped up to Leeds at HarryM1BYT's amazing invitation, to be supervised whilst changing my handbrake compensator for one of his modified ones he still had. The supervisor soon became supervising assistant as he didn't have all day!😬 Handbrake now locks the back wheels with little effort (not that I need it to..).:}

Thanks Harry - a great guy who was the original inventor of the compensator mod and who generously gave his time and effort to forum members over the years supplying them free of charge. (He no longer produces them.)

:bowdown:

Dougie.

HarryM1BYT 3rd December 2021 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2910615)
Popped up to Leeds at HarryM1BYT's amazing invitation, to be supervised whilst changing my handbrake compensator for one of his modified ones he still had. The supervisor soon became supervising assistant as he didn't have all day!😬 Handbrake now locks the back wheels with little effort (not that I need it to..)

Dougie.

You were welcome - all I really did was watch and point in the right direction. Wendy sends her regards..

Twisterboy 3rd December 2021 12:53

Just about to take it on a roadtrip of fife over the weekend.

Maxfly 3rd December 2021 12:57

Booked the ZT in for a full stainless exhaust system in January. No idea on tailpipe design yet but going for a mid sound as while i enjoy a loud exhaust this is also the long haul family car when holidays come and the last two cars which were a bit loud tbh, were not appreciated by the better half at times lol
:smiley:

JohnnyBG 3rd December 2021 19:14

After the storms, rain and snow the ZT-T was covered in pine needles.

Checked the plenum drains and all good but gave a rod through anyway. While doing it discovered a couple of extra jobs. One was spare wheel cavity damp; I've done my searches on here and will do as soon as I can.

Johnny BG

FantasticMrFish 3rd December 2021 20:43

Decided to go to shopping today and wouldn't you know it JBR2 wouldn't start. Did a few things to narrow it down and it isn't getting fuel. Checked the ECU for water, nothing. Started the engine with carb cleaner and it was running fine so got it down to fuel pump.

Lost the light at this point so first thing in the morning I'll check the fuse but I suspect I'm changing the pump this weekend. Perfect weather for it too ❄️🌨️😰🤧

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

polinsteve 4th December 2021 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ched (Post 2909719)
I gave up trying to undo the crank pulley bolt and put it all back together, I'll have to take it to a garage for them to do it, I just have to find someone now tho.

I feel your pain! Been there. I don' know anywhere close to you , but after another MG rover specialist couldn't do it I went to South Coast Garage, 16 Maple Rd, Eastbourne, England. It doesn't look much but with a bit of muscle and a thermal coil round the bolt, they got the job done. If you wanted a run out to the seaside, it could be worthwhile.

Ched 4th December 2021 18:18

Finally, a fully charged impact wrench and the bolt didn’t put up a fight.
The next faff was putting the new belt on, the tensioner at its limit and still I couldn’t get the thing on, in the end I got it partially fitted to the pulley then turned the engine over and success at last.
All back together and started and a quiet car again.
Tomorrow’s job is to jet wash the wheel arch before refitting the liner and undertray.

The pulley.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...af54684e7c.jpg

Arctic 4th December 2021 23:04

Not mine but local owner, drop links sorted out and a ducks pool in the boot.

https://i.imgur.com/XQAI89Xl.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/D7Y01APl.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/DrnYjqbl.jpg3

extra grease inserted and an extra nut on the ARB, also these have the wire spring which are better than some of the drop links which have a rubber band.

Wheel well and spare was under water, so must have been swilling about quite a lot.
https://i.imgur.com/N0vD0X3l.jpg4

seems it is getting in from the right hand side, i noticed the rear window seal as gave out, which will be pointed out when they pick the car up, i have no clips.
https://i.imgur.com/bLjQOeVl.jpg5

Drained with the help of a few drilled holes which were the protected with rust preventive and grease after all cleaned out.
https://i.imgur.com/K7KdcQKl.jpg6

https://i.imgur.com/1N8T3KSl.jpg7

So check those boots for water ingress.

75driver 6th December 2021 16:20

Well not today, but at the weekend…
- On RKZ:
- replaced front sidelights with original bulbs, as one of the led bulbs fitted was flickering, also causing the Xenons to flicker.
- cleaned out debris from all 4 windows using a flat blade screwdriver wrapped in cloth and soaked in soapy water.
- treated the window rubber surrounds with Autoglym Vinyl and bumper Care. Forgot to do the boot seal rubber🙄.
- cleaned the drivers side switchpack to get mirror switches operating again.

On Various cars:
- replaced the wipers on 3 of the fleet. Went for Bosch again as 4 sets were £55.36 from Aceparts_uk on eBay.
- changed out 2 key fobs with new ones bought from eBay seller flysky2019. Only tested 1 set and it’s not fantastic. Locks ok, but the “open” function is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes It can take multiple try’s, by pressing very hard on the fob. It’s like there is very little “give” on the plastic area that has to be pressed. I’ll probably take the fob apart again to check that the pcb / micro switch is in the correct location, as the pcb locator pins and securing tabs are missing on the eBay purchase. (The fob parts on the right hand side of photo below).
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...1c449936d1.jpg

Twisterboy 7th December 2021 06:14

Not today but yesterday.....:shocked:

Re-installed the Alarm Sounder Fuse after having issues with the bonnet switch at the weekend, expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised the alarm never went off again.

FrattonEnder 9th December 2021 14:58

Well, yesterday I finally got the Zed back on the road without a list to starboard. Pretty much a full rear end replacement of springs upper and lower arms. Mechanic said that all the bolts were pretty badly rusted up, so I'm glad I didn't attempt it on the drive. Thanks to the guys at DMGRS for help with the bits to get the old girl rolling again. Now we have a car that I can get the weekly shop in the boot, rather than the boot and the entire back seat like I had to in the Mini. Didn't get any complaints about the ride when I dropped my better half off at work this morning, so all must be good!

For anyone wondering if my mechanical bad luck did go in threes - after the demise of the Mondeo and the rear suspension giving up the ghost. Yes it did. Cycling home on Tuesday night (car was in the garage for 2 days as they fitted the work in around other bits) a pedal sheared clean off the crank arm, leaving me with a 6 mile walk home. Got my steps up for the day though!

simondhopkins 10th December 2021 11:24

Intank pump

Well, after ordering a replacement pump from DMGRS last week, had to let the storm pass and installed it yesterday.

No more hesitation under acceleration thank god, I really thought my autobox was shot.

Edit:scrub that still getting throttle cutout underload. Arrrgh. Think the scrapyard calling its name. Not throwing any more money at it now.

EDIT 2: No its fine, was air in the system from messing around with the fuel line. Molly isn't being scrapped.

Oh and finally put on my side 75zt club stickers.
Hope everyone has a happy Christmas.

Southern Star 11th December 2021 12:41

Bled my coolant system again. This time tried to get the expansion tank off to raise it as far as it would go on the pipes but the bolt holding it on is well and truly seized so I filled the header tank to the brim and squeezed the top hose repeatedly, lots of bubbles appeared. When they stopped I emptied out the header tank to the right level using an anti-freeze tester. Hopefully all the air is out now but I'll monitor it over the coming week.

Wolves 75 11th December 2021 13:22

Replaced the rear light seals, had a little bit of water in the boot, both seals were split so will try that for now

Twisterboy 11th December 2021 18:07

Drove it to Asda to get some diesel, going to have replace the passenger dipped beam bulb tomorrow.

Davy

Southern Star 11th December 2021 19:44

I put another tonne of aggregate down on my car parking area. I need another tonne to finish it off, extend it forward to my boundary, level with the Astroturf. Sooner or later, another tonne will turn up

I've put down about six tonnes of aggregate so far, I get all of it free from work. If I didn't take it away every day, 150kg at a time, then it would just end up being put in the skip which work would have to pay to have taken away. Normally bulk bags turn up without labels on them so nobody knows where it is supposed to be going and after a few weeks we just get told to scrap it.

So a win/win situation really, freecycling at its best. My mooring was a quagmire before I started.

https://i.imgur.com/iydhFMAl.jpg

coolguy 11th December 2021 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Star (Post 2911874)
I put another tonne of aggregate down on my car parking area. I need another tonne to finish it off, extend it forward to my boundary, level with the Astroturf. Sooner or later, another tonne will turn up

I've put down about six tonnes of aggregate so far, I get all of it free from work. If I didn't take it away every day, 150kg at a time, then it would just end up being put in the skip which work would have to pay to have taken away. Normally bulk bags turn up without labels on them so nobody knows where it is supposed to be going and after a few weeks we just get told to scrap it.

So a win/win situation really, freecycling at its best. My mooring was a quagmire before I started.

https://i.imgur.com/iydhFMAl.jpg

Looking very impressive. I have the right of way over a gravel drive to my garage yard - your tonnes made me grateful that I don't have to maintain it - it measures 19 feet wide by nearly a hundred yards long!

Ched 12th December 2021 14:41

I had to recharge the battery on the v8 as it was flat. I did it a week ago as it was flat, so I think its time for a new one.
Once recharged it was good to listen to that v8 burble into life again, roll on next spring.:icon_lol:

Arctic 12th December 2021 14:46

Bonnet Striker Pins

Cleared all the faults with the T4 after doing the crank shaft pulley and belts a few weeks back, also fitted the modified bonnet striker pins to the NUK.

https://i.imgur.com/qD9bYuYl.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/Sib1pQQl.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/bTLko3pl.jpg3

The one i have just taken off have been cleaned up and in the process of being sprayed.
https://i.imgur.com/E48P539l.jpg4

bsafly 12th December 2021 17:06

Fitted new front and rear number plates (courtesy of Matt Dickins) to the 75 tourer and repaired the floppy o/s door mirror on the ZT-T. :xmas-smiley-008:

Southern Star 12th December 2021 17:27

Drove down to Oxfordshire (which was good in itself as my car gets used too often on short journeys and a 100 mile round trip blows out the cobwebs especially as I chucked half a litre of Liqui Moly in the fuel tank yesterday) and there I picked up a set of 16" Union alloy wheels from club member Typhoon190 to replace the 17" Star Spoke alloys I currently have as I don't like the low profile tyres. I've been meaning to do this ever since I bought the car and it's only taken me nine years to get around to it. ;)

Started deep cleaning them with a toothbrush etc but haven't fitted them yet as I was worried about running out of daylight, I find wheels with bolts an absolute PITA to fit and will probably get some M14 threaded bar in the week to use as a guide. Or I might just give my local friendly mechanic a brown beer voucher to do it next Saturday.

Then I think I will probably sell the Star Spoke alloys on here.

Arctic 12th December 2021 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Star (Post 2911992)
Drove down to Oxfordshire (which was good in itself as my car gets used too often on short journeys and a 100 mile round trip blows out the cobwebs especially as I chucked half a litre of Liqui Moly in the fuel tank yesterday) and there I picked up a set of 16" Union alloy wheels from club member Typhoon190 to replace the 17" Star Spoke alloys I currently have as I don't like the low profile tyres. I've been meaning to do this ever since I bought the car and it's only taken me nine years to get around to it. ;)

Started deep cleaning them with a toothbrush etc but haven't fitted them yet as I was worried about running out of daylight,
Quote:

I find wheels with bolts an absolute PITA to fit and will probably get some M14 threaded bar in the week to use as a guide.
Or I might just give my local friendly mechanic a brown beer voucher to do it next Saturday.

Then I think I will probably sell the Star Spoke alloys on here.

Hi Vincent.
Grab your self one of these i have two, just in case one went missing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181609101680

MacRob 12th December 2021 22:51

[QUOTE=Arctic;2911962]Cleared all the faults with the T4 after doing the crank shaft pulley and belts a few weeks back, also fitted the modified bonnet striker pins to the NUK.

What has been modified and for what reason?

Arctic 12th December 2021 23:39

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRob (Post 2912036)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2911962)
Cleared all the faults with the T4 after doing the crank shaft pulley and belts a few weeks back, also fitted the modified bonnet striker pins to the NUK.

What has been modified and for what reason?

Hi Robert.
I painted the plates the same colour as my car, usually they are just metal, i have also flattened the edges just in case at any time the cable gave way and you need to get the bonnet up, you can use a 10mm ring spanner on the plate bolts.

https://i.imgur.com/RWkzrqFl.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/KlwltuPl.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/bTLko3pl.jpg3

I had them on the shelf since 2020 and recently got involved with a thread asking how to remove them or adjust them, which spurred me on to finish the project which i did yesterday.
https://i.imgur.com/PN8chxdl.jpg4

The ones i have taken off will now go back on the shelf.

ryszard 13th December 2021 00:10

Hi,that's a good tip,that is what I will do,flatten the edges to enable to get a spanner in there,ever since I got the V8 have had problems opening the bonnet,done all the cleaning and lubrication on the strikers/latches cables,but the bonnet was still hard to open so I thought I would take one striker assembly off and adjust one at a time for smoother operation,closed the bonnet and it still jammed,took me ages to open it so back to square one,more adjustments.Regards Ry...

Twisterboy 13th December 2021 06:54

Gave mine a wee run yesterday out to Falkirk and back with some toys to donate to a charity.

Davy

75driver 13th December 2021 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryszard (Post 2912046)
Hi,that's a good tip,that is what I will do,flatten the edges to enable to get a spanner in there,ever since I got the V8 have had problems opening the bonnet,done all the cleaning and lubrication on the strikers/latches cables,but the bonnet was still hard to open so I thought I would take one striker assembly off and adjust one at a time for smoother operation,closed the bonnet and it still jammed,took me ages to open it so back to square one,more adjustments.Regards Ry...

Check the outer sleeve isn’t frayed / kinked, which can cause the cable to stick at that point.
I had done all of the lubrication, as you had done, but it kept sticking. Finally bit the bullet and removed the slam panel to examine the entire assembly and found the cause.
New cable from dmgrs sorted my issues.

bsafly 13th December 2021 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryszard (Post 2912046)

Had the same issue with my ZT-T, lubricating the cables had no effect, bought new cable set from DMGRS and fitted them (stripped, cleaned and lubricated the catches at the same time whilst they were off the car), the bonnet catches can now be released with one finger.
Inspection of the removed cables showed the short (o/s) cable outer had rusted where it had been contacting the underside of the slam panel, so make sure you route it correctly and clip it in position when fitting new cables. :xmas-smiley-008:

Twisterboy 13th December 2021 10:46

Also yesterday changed the passenger headlight bulb, was amazed at how quick and easy it was to do.

Davy

Shonkie 13th December 2021 15:26

I finally had a dry day to replace the lower engine mount on my CDT. Took it for a spin and it felt instantly better. Then the damned airbag light came on saying there was a fault. Mot is due on the 21st and I am getting worried.

bl52krz 13th December 2021 15:45

Air bag light:- have a look under the drivers seat first and make sure the electrical connections are tight. Sometimes constant moving of the seat backwards and forwards loosen’s the electrical plugs.

FLYING BANANA 13th December 2021 15:57

Took Banana for a run out to Jamaica Inn out on Bodmin Moor. Went to the shop to buy some presents. Saw two McLaren F1’s in the car park. Was going to get some photo’s with Banana parked next to them but they left before I was able to line up.

stevestrat 13th December 2021 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonkie (Post 2912149)
I finally had a dry day to replace the lower engine mount on my CDT. Took it for a spin and it felt instantly better. Then the damned airbag light came on saying there was a fault. Mot is due on the 21st and I am getting worried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2912153)
Air bag light:- have a look under the drivers seat first and make sure the electrical connections are tight. Sometimes constant moving of the seat backwards and forwards loosen’s the electrical plugs.

The seat belt pretensioner wiring/connectors, can also cause the light to come on. Don't ignore under the passenger seat, exactly the same airbag/pretensioner wiring and connectors under there.

Southern Star 13th December 2021 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2912160)
The seat belt pretensioner wiring/connectors, can also cause the light to come on. Don't ignore under the passenger seat, exactly the same airbag/pretensioner wiring and connectors under there.

Agreed, nine times out of ten it's the connector under the driver's seat but it can be the one under the passenger seat too. Normally just a case of moving both seats as far forward as possible, then- but only after the ignition has been switched off for an hour-reaching beneath the seats and having a wiggle of the yellow connectors.

I believe some folk wire these permanently, getting rid of the plug-in connectors but I just use the wiggle method when my car starts doing it every couple of years or so.

Arctic 14th December 2021 08:52

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonkie (Post 2912149)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2912153)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2912160)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Star (Post 2912161)
Agreed, nine times out of ten it's the connector under the driver's seat but it can be the one under the passenger seat too. Normally just a case of moving both seats as far forward as possible, then- but only after the ignition has been switched off for an hour-reaching beneath the seats and having a wiggle of the yellow connectors.

I believe some folk wire these permanently, getting rid of the plug-in connectors but I just use the wiggle method when my car starts doing it every couple of years or so.

Hi Guys.
Do your self a favour and get some of these below, once made up, cut off the old connectors and join the new ones, remember to add some heat shrink to the join.

https://i.imgur.com/2I0WRAKl.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/1p7i8CQl.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/Ck5eQuWl.jpg3

https://i.imgur.com/p4Qv7VDl.jpg4

https://i.imgur.com/tj5ssG4l.jpg5

https://i.imgur.com/2pkqssJl.jpg6

Leave a decent length of wiring so the seat can be moved back and forth.

HarryM1BYT 14th December 2021 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2912155)
Took Banana for a run out to Jamaica Inn out on Bodmin Moor. Went to the shop to buy some presents. Saw two McLaren F1’s in the car park. Was going to get some photo’s with Banana parked next to them but they left before I was able to line up.

The first time I went in there, it was very much like it was depicted in the film. Not so now or a few years after I first visited.

Mike Noc 14th December 2021 19:14

Was working in the area a couple of years ago Harry and so thought I'd stay there. They had a party one night as new owners had taken it over. A new broom usually sweeps clean sooner or later. :icon_lol:

Southern Star 14th December 2021 19:32

Today I had an unexpected day off work so I hand-polished and waxed the Union Alloy wheels I bought from fellow member Typhoon190. I think I've got them looking as good as I can get them without professional refurbishment, which I may or may not do at some stage. I'm really pleased with them, I've been meaning to put Union Alloys on ever since I bought the car which was nine years ago now.

I'm hoping to fit them at the weekend but I'm waiting for some ebay 14mm threaded bar to arrive to help with this. I find wheels with bolts a pain to line up and fit compared to wheels with studs and nuts, especially given the difficulty of not even having an area of hard standing to work on.

Arctic 14th December 2021 21:16

Service (quick)

today i took advantage of a generally dry but over cloudy afternoon, and did a quick top service of the (NUK) tourer, which i usually do about September, but i am behind this year, i do this twice a year spring and autumn.

Air filter.
https://i.imgur.com/6PohG1nl.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/4CBhoBSl.jpg8

https://i.imgur.com/SvCVyctl.jpg12

https://i.imgur.com/Ts1pdFbl.jpg14

Also changed the PCV filter.
https://i.imgur.com/hRuFxwIl.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/l55F9NSl.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/KsmecxJl.jpg3

Most would not change out this PCV filter.
https://i.imgur.com/yj3BoiIl.jpg4

https://i.imgur.com/xsknU93l.jpg5

https://i.imgur.com/YDPGuU8l.jpg6

Swapped out the manifold and EGR too.
https://i.imgur.com/CQwJKVxl.jpg1

Again i doubt anyone else would have swapped this out as it is still quite clean.
https://i.imgur.com/oz11SISl.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/5S3CtXVl.jpg3

All ports are nice a clean too, so well happy.
https://i.imgur.com/LjzmJJ6l.jpg4

https://i.imgur.com/6dQlxtGl.jpg5

https://i.imgur.com/JWiA1g4l.jpg6

I will drop the oil and do the oil filter the weekend.

bl52krz 15th December 2021 19:49

Looks nice and clean Steve.

bigblue75 15th December 2021 20:52

Great pictures again

Thanks for the pics Steve, really helpful post.

Have searched for an answer but no joy- Does the housing cover ever need to be renewed or cleaned ? Answers appreciated as when I checked the cotton reel filter/ separator it wasn't sitting right as the plastic holder was absent after a previous owner serviced the car and seeing those photos has got me wondering if particles may have gotten past the filter/ separator.

Arctic 16th December 2021 01:06

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue75 (Post 2912511)
Thanks for the pics Steve, really helpful post.

Have searched for an answer but no joy- Does the housing cover ever need to be renewed or cleaned ? Answers appreciated as when I checked the cotton reel filter/ separator it wasn't sitting right as the plastic holder was absent after a previous owner serviced the car and seeing those photos has got me wondering if particles may have gotten past the filter/ separator.[/QUOTE

]

The plastic holder is there to help centralise and hold in the cotton reel in the body, i would imagine once the O-ring is in place and the reel pushed over it that should hold it in place, and you could carefully lower it on to the pin in the housing.
https://i.imgur.com/KtD4gXVl.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/0do3Xl9l.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/bYY0m4ul.jpg3

I too have removed some PCV filters and the plastic holder as been missing, which i have replaced because i had one spare.

Twisterboy 16th December 2021 07:19

Again yesterday:icon_lol:

Changed the Driver's side headlight bulb in the middle of the Asda Petrol Station last night and again was surprised at how easy it was to do.

Davy

Twisterboy 17th December 2021 08:31

Bought Wipers for mine, hard to believe, but I had to buy two single wipers, no one done a box with driver and passenger wipers in them unless I went Halfords Budget!

Hey Ho at least it will improve the wipers already on the 75!

Davy

Arctic 17th December 2021 12:57

Rain x

Washed it after the last week of dirty weather and rain X the windows inside and out, also silicone all the door seals which helps in the winter to stop the doors from sticking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-881995...606996941&th=1

trikey 17th December 2021 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2912695)
Washed it after the last week of dirty weather and rain X the windows inside and out, also silicone all the door seals which helps in the winter to stop the doors from sticking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-881995...606996941&th=1

I have to do the same over the weekend, Ive put 600 miles on the old gold diesel this week and its blacker than a black thing!

I do like rain X, will apply some to my visor on my crash helmet too as thats the rules!

Arctic 17th December 2021 21:10

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2912745)
I have to do the same over the weekend, Ive put 600 miles on the old gold diesel this week and its blacker than a black thing!

I do like rain X, will apply some to my visor on my crash helmet too as thats the rules!

Hi Andy.
Hope you are keeping well based on your recent circumstances, try and do it leisurely, as i did today with a least three coffee and biscuits break, they look great when cleaned, well for at least a couple of days anyways:icon_lol:

Tomorrow i hope to drop the oil on both the FL2 and the NUK (tourer) along with giving all the black work a good coat black shoe polish, good luck with your cleaning day :xmas-smiley-008:

trikey 17th December 2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2912763)
Hi Andy.
Hope you are keeping well based on your recent circumstances, try and do it leisurely, as i did today with a least three coffee and biscuits break, they look great when cleaned, well for at least a couple of days anyways:icon_lol:

Tomorrow i hope to drop the oil on both the FL2 and the NUK (tourer) along with giving all the black work a good coat black shoe polish, good luck with your cleaning day :xmas-smiley-008:

Thanks Steve,

I'm ok, biscuit consumption is getting back to normal! I'm living on coffee at the moment, the cars always need a bit of attention, good old goldie just keeps plodding on, it's nice to have a good old reliable motor when ya need it.

AndyN01 18th December 2021 14:00

Clutch Master cylinder

Actually Thursday, not today but have successfully swapped out the old one for one of DMGRS's "left hand drive" ones where you use your existing pipework.

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/gen...e47c0ba9&_ss=r

Symptoms were my clutch bite point was getting steadily nearer the floor and it felt difficult to change gear.

I was praying that it was the master, not the slave.

First off the plastic collar that splits the quick release under the battery was missing :icon_cry:.

Turns out that there's a "spare" plastic collar on the one from DMGRS so I successfully used that :icon_lol:.

Decided to remove the clutch pedal to get better access and sight. Fortunately that comes off easily and quickly. A couple of clips, pop off the master shaft and she slides off and out. Just beware the spring.

The master is in a stupid place but it's not actually difficult as such. Just time consuming and awkward. I sucked out the fluid with a syringe as I didn't fancy it all over the carpets and it wasn't pretty. A sort of grey/black colour. Nothing like the clear, new fluid.

The two little (8mm head) bolts holding the master in place are a bit of a faff but OK with some patience and a short 8mm socket.

Pulling some hydraulic pipe through the bulkhead was fun. But worth it in the end for ease of access to get the split pin and roll pin out.

The new master slotted straight in and was soon ready for bleeding.

Using a Gunson's Easybleed I flushed about 300-400 ml of fresh fluid through the new master & pipework then connected up the slave and flushed a further 300-400ml through the whole lot. It's really to do easy with pressured bleeding. The last thing I want is any muck/debris from the old master/pipework to end up in the slave.

The Easybleed runs at 20psi max. so remember to pump up your spare tyre if that's what you used.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/gunson-br...questid=282517

And the result, a whole different biting point. Gear changing is now lovely and it's the best clutch feeling I've had on any of the Rover's I've owned :xmas-smiley-008:

As an aside I seem to have cured an intermittent cruise fault where it would disconnect completely when, say, coming off a motorway, onto a roundabout. I'd initially put it down to the brake switch but having to reset the clutch switch appears to have cured it. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the help, particularly from DMGRS for getting the unit to me pronto, Colvert & Mike Noc for suggestions about the missing plastic collar and, of course, all the threads and numerous hints and tips on the forum.

Cheers.

Southern Star 18th December 2021 16:51

Today I fitted my 16" Union Alloy wheels, sourced from a fellow forum member last weekend. I much prefer the look of them anyway but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and a drive down the very bumpy farm track showed a huge improvement in ride quality over the 17" Star Spoke alloys and low profile tyres which were fitted.

I've had the car nearly nine years and have been meaning to do this since the day I bought it.

Another forum member has a single Union Alloy wheel for sale, possibly two, and I intend to grab this/them to replace the space saver spare once Christmas is out of the way.

https://i.imgur.com/fC6DKsjl.jpg

I started cleaning up the Star Spoke alloys, will do some more tomorrow, and then I'll be selling these, either on here or ebay, more because I need the space than the money.

Arctic 18th December 2021 20:22

Added some edging to the slam panel.

https://i.imgur.com/HDDkIv6l.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/ZN9VaRUl.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/NmSbvDBl.jpg3

https://i.imgur.com/NJqYkWMl.jpg4

https://i.imgur.com/sBP2yQhl.jpg5

https://i.imgur.com/FfAaegrl.jpg6

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383715772123

Pistons_and_processors 19th December 2021 14:08

What I did with my Rover 75/MG ZT today?

Thought I’d try and tighten the nut on the handbrake compensator, but it’s spinning around more than Kylie Minogue.
Guess I need to change the compensator? 🤷🏼NAUGHTY WORD-♂️
I already have a replacement mini one, was hoping for the easy fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e03500af73.jpg

Arctic 19th December 2021 14:26

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistons_and_processors (Post 2912999)
Thought I’d try and tighten the nut on the handbrake compensator, but it’s spinning around more than Kylie Minogue.
Guess I need to change the compensator? 🤷🏼NAUGHTY WORD-♂️
I already have a replacement mini one, was hoping for the easy fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e03500af73.jpg

Hi Gavin.
Passenger seat removal is best with the R53 Mini compensator and cable change over.

Pistons_and_processors 19th December 2021 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2913004)
Hi Gavin.
Passenger seat removal is best with the R53 Mini compensator and cable change over.

Cheers, I’ll stick it on the to do list! Something to be done before February’s MOT

ryszard 19th December 2021 17:29

Hi,last night collected a 18 inch Vortex wheel for my new toy.Now have a spare.Next year get tyre fitted and powder coated to match the rest.Regards Ry...

bsafly 19th December 2021 18:01

Went to Tesco in the tourer and loaded up with our click and collect order, needed rear seats down to get it all in. :xmas-smiley-008:
Drove home with 'Christmas in a car'. :smiley:
No need to do anything before Christmas now, except pick up the turkey from the local butcher in the village on Christmas eve day.
Hope everyone has a wonderful festive break :christmas: and a :new_year:
Paul.

Southern Star 19th December 2021 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsafly (Post 2913036)
Went to Tesco in the tourer and loaded up with our click and collect order, needed rear seats down to get it all in. :xmas-smiley-008:
Drove home with 'Christmas in a car'. :smiley:
No need to do anything before Christmas now, except pick up the turkey from the local butcher in the village on Christmas eve day.
Hope everyone has a wonderful festive break :christmas: and a :new_year:
Paul.

I did my shopping today not just for next week but for the Christmas period too and it came to £31 so it just goes to show what a "Billy-no-Mates" I am. :icon_lol:

MSS 19th December 2021 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Star (Post 2913039)
I did my shopping today not just for next week but for the Christmas period too and it came to £31 so it just goes to show what a "Billy-no-Mates" I am. :icon_lol:

Extravagant, is what you are. :laugh:

Did you not read my post a couple of weeks back about how an Indian can feed a family for a week on £10? :shrug:

Martin Butler 21st December 2021 10:09

What have i done on my 75, well, took it on its first long drive in my ownership this week end, from Hastings on the south coast, to Swindon, for a pre Christmas get together with family, Pleased to report car ran really well, didn't miss a beat, only used 1/4 of a tank each way, which was very good as i wasn't exactly hanging around on the motorway very solid car, no rattles and bangs, probably the most comfortable car i have driven for a long time.

Southern Star 21st December 2021 17:15

Quite a varied day today. Just a few little jobs set in motion. I was at work today so not too much time for hands-on work.

Placed the 75 and ZT Club cling sticker in the rear window. This was actually more difficult than it sounded mostly because my OCPD meant it had to be dead-centre and perfectly straight. Looks good though, I'm looking forward to the club grill badge turning up to finish off the other end.

Ordered new bonnet struts from SGS Engineering.

Phoned Lates600 about my coolant leak although it's just about the worst time of year to arrange repairs and he couldn't fit me in any quicker than my local garage. However he did agree to do the transmission fluid change and sort the handbrake out, these aren't so pressing, then I ordered 5 litres of the transmission fluid recommended by Arctic on another thread.

My local garage are good, honest, friendly, efficient etc but it would be good to establish a relationship with a Rover 75 specialist, especially as Lates are very local to me and tend to focus on working at weekends which is when I have my time off work.

Mike Noc 23rd December 2021 16:17

Had a quiet morning so reckoned I'd get the old duff bearing out of the hub I recently changed.
Sadly the universal puller kit I bought a few years ago isn't quite as universal as I thought it was, as it wouldn't quite go up to the diameter of the wheel bearing.

https://i.imgur.com/SZ1FKof.jpg?1

So a quick rummage through the scrap bin and managed to find a GhettoTech solution. The yellow flat bar was an old remnant from the banger racing days - used to help hold the bonnet when tying it down with divi bars.

https://i.imgur.com/kAGvcoK.jpg?1

To be fair the universal puller kit has more than paid for itself over the years and despite a fair bit of use still looks like new, so can't complain. :icon_lol:

bl52krz 23rd December 2021 21:17

I bought one of those puller kits this year. Yet to use it yet tho.

Mike Noc 24th December 2021 07:35

I'd recommend the one I bought - they are pretty tough and well made. :}

AndyN01 24th December 2021 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Butler (Post 2913235)
......probably the most comfortable car i have driven for a long time.

And that is why I bought one.

Wasn't even on my radar. After all, who, in their right mind, would buy an old Rover?

Was searching for something to do our regular 3 hours+ trip from the Midlands to the North East and a 75 popped up as being comfortable.

Then I found this forum and that pretty much settled it.

Enjoy her. :xmas-smiley-008:

Twisterboy 24th December 2021 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyN01 (Post 2913650)
And that is why I bought one.

Wasn't even on my radar. After all, who, in their right mind, would buy an old Rover?

Was searching for something to do our regular 3 hours+ trip from the Midlands to the North East and a 75 popped up as being comfortable.

Then I found this forum and that pretty much settled it.

Enjoy her. :xmas-smiley-008:

I wanted one for a couple of years, nearly bought a Tourer back in 2019, but plumped for a Volvo instead which lasted 4 months when I found out how much it would put through a MOT...... Got a Qashqai in Feb 2020 but the 75 was still in my head, it was at Youtuber's Hubnut Social in August when I seen a few 75's lined up that I knew I had to do it.

Had my 75 for 3 month's, it's had its issues ie swimming pool, Rear light issues, Bonnet Switch, but it's a great car to drive and I know everytime I park up and look back it makes me smile, that for me means I have the right car.

stevestrat 24th December 2021 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisterboy (Post 2913654)
plumped for a Volvo instead which lasted 4 months when I found out how much it would put through a MOT

Funny, I had a Volvo S80 and PX'd it for my first 75 for exactly the same reason. I was going to buy a 75/ZT before that, when they were still being produced. Looked at one in a dealer, went to sit in it and got caught out by the low door opening, smacked the side of my head so hard I was seeing stars, put me off.

ceedy 24th December 2021 10:03

Gave the Auto a Xmas prezzy of new wiper blades, after it mended itself :icon_rolleyes:
( maybe) ?

and because I stole the wipers to get the 260 thro its MOT :icon_redface:

Also had to send a text message to the V8 to find where it was :icon_lol:

C

Twisterboy 24th December 2021 10:30

Just checked to see if mine has been leaking again, after all this rain!

Success it's fine!

trikey 24th December 2021 20:38

Had a sticking rear caliper, replaced both rears with new old stock ones that I had sitting around, not a terrible job to do.. just about managed it before the cold got to my finger ends.

bl52krz 24th December 2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyN01 (Post 2912844)
Actually Thursday, not today but have successfully swapped out the old one for one of DMGRS's "left hand drive" ones where you use your existing pipework.

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/gen...e47c0ba9&_ss=r

Symptoms were my clutch bite point was getting steadily nearer the floor and it felt difficult to change gear.

I was praying that it was the master, not the slave.

First off the plastic collar that splits the quick release under the battery was missing :icon_cry:.

Turns out that there's a "spare" plastic collar on the one from DMGRS so I successfully used that :icon_lol:.

Decided to remove the clutch pedal to get better access and sight. Fortunately that comes off easily and quickly. A couple of clips, pop off the master shaft and she slides off and out. Just beware the spring.

The master is in a stupid place but it's not actually difficult as such. Just time consuming and awkward. I sucked out the fluid with a syringe as I didn't fancy it all over the carpets and it wasn't pretty. A sort of grey/black colour. Nothing like the clear, new fluid.

The two little (8mm head) bolts holding the master in place are a bit of a faff but OK with some patience and a short 8mm socket.

Pulling some hydraulic pipe through the bulkhead was fun. But worth it in the end for ease of access to get the split pin and roll pin out.

The new master slotted straight in and was soon ready for bleeding.

Using a Gunson's Easybleed I flushed about 300-400 ml of fresh fluid through the new master & pipework then connected up the slave and flushed a further 300-400ml through the whole lot. It's really to do easy with pressured bleeding. The last thing I want is any muck/debris from the old master/pipework to end up in the slave.

The Easybleed runs at 20psi max. so remember to pump up your spare tyre if that's what you used.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/gunson-br...questid=282517

And the result, a whole different biting point. Gear changing is now lovely and it's the best clutch feeling I've had on any of the Rover's I've owned :xmas-smiley-008:

As an aside I seem to have cured an intermittent cruise fault where it would disconnect completely when, say, coming off a motorway, onto a roundabout. I'd initially put it down to the brake switch but having to reset the clutch switch appears to have cured it. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the help, particularly from DMGRS for getting the unit to me pronto, Colvert & Mike Noc for suggestions about the missing plastic collar and, of course, all the threads and numerous hints and tips on the forum.

Cheers.

Hi Andy, have a merry Christmas. The cruise control dropping out when getting to an island, is probably caused by the fact you can not engage cruise below around 25 mph. So if your speed drops below 25mph, you have to reset it.

Southern Star 25th December 2021 08:49

Replaced my bonnet gas struts this morning, only took 5 minutes to do both. Had a look to see if I could get behind the grille just by undoing the bolts holding the assembly to the slam panel but I can't, will need to get up under the wheel arches to undo the screws there and I'll wait for better and drier weather to do that.

Southern Star 26th December 2021 20:33

Had a look at the screws in the wheel arches securing the front bumper today but as suspected they are in very poor condition with the heads largely rusted away. I didn't even try to get a turn on them, I will do but I'm 99% sure they will need drilling out.

Ordered new rear light gaskets on ebay as these are leaking.

I've had the car nine years now and I've kept up with servicing and general maintenance but it's come to the point where I have to spend a lot of money putting the little things right or replace the car and I've decided to do the former even if it doesn't make economic sense.

trikey 26th December 2021 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Star (Post 2913942)
I'm 99% sure they will need drilling out.

I doubt that, I have never seen one of those fastners that has rusted away, a good 6 sided socket will have them out I'm sure.

They screw into a plastic insert, so no metal on metal fatigue to worry about.

Rogue 26th December 2021 20:59

Quote:

I've had the car nine years now and I've kept up with servicing and general maintenance but it's come to the point where I have to spend a lot of money putting the little things right or replace the car and I've decided to do the former even if it doesn't make economic sense.

There might be one or two way beyond that point on here :icon_lol:

Southern Star 26th December 2021 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2913943)
I doubt that, I have never seen one of those fastners that has rusted away, a good 6 sided socket will have them out I'm sure.

It might be different on mine, which is a facelift model, but it is a Phillips screw so a socket won't touch it. I will have a go at getting it out with a screwdriver but the head looks pretty rotten.

trikey 26th December 2021 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Star (Post 2913946)
It might be different on mine, which is a facelift model, but it is a Phillips screw so a socket won't touch it. I will have a go at getting it out with a screwdriver but the head looks pretty rotten.

Some did have phillips screws, a small pair of side cutters to grab whats left of the head will undo them ok.

Arctic 27th December 2021 00:37

Quote:

Quote:

Had a look at the screws in the wheel arches securing the front bumper today but as suspected they are in very poor condition with the heads largely rusted away. I didn't even try to get a turn on them, I will do but I'm 99% sure they will need drilling out.

Ordered new rear light gaskets on ebay as these are leaking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2913943)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Star (Post 2913946)

Hopefully you are talking about the same screw bolts on the upper part of the wheel arch liner, they should be six sided bolt screws.
https://i.imgur.com/5tEJ9Osl.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/2NOvg75l.jpg2

Or are you talking about the middle ones which are indeed Phillips screws, and 99.9% the heads are rusted out but, never mind as you can pop the split bracket off the plastic tag on the bumper and deal with them after the bumper as been removed, or lowered down if you so wish.

https://i.imgur.com/2FiXyRGl.jpg3

https://i.imgur.com/V0FtoGul.jpg4

https://i.imgur.com/glvQBYNl.jpg5

https://i.imgur.com/ESARuSbl.jpg6

Southern Star 27th December 2021 07:55

They are the ones at the top of the wheel arch liner and they are definitely Phillips screws. Whether the car has been worked on before I bought it and the garage put back the wrong screws, or whether with it being one of the last 75s produced Rover were just using up whatever they had to hand in the parts bin I don't know. When I do get them out I'll replace them with hex heads.

Arctic 27th December 2021 09:39

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Star (Post 2913963)
They are the ones at the top of the wheel arch liner and they are definitely Phillips screws. Whether the car has been worked on before I bought it and the garage put back the wrong screws, or whether with it being one of the last 75s produced Rover were just using up whatever they had to hand in the parts bin I don't know. When I do get them out I'll replace them with hex heads.

Hi Vince.
I would say they have been changed at some point?

Southern Star 27th December 2021 09:42

Yes, probably a careless garage in the past. I'll get them out one way or another and replace them but yet again it is raining and I have nowhere undercover to work so it will just have to wait for better weather.

suzublu 27th December 2021 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Star (Post 2913976)
Yes, probably a careless garage in the past. I'll get them out one way or another and replace them but yet again it is raining and I have nowhere undercover to work so it will just have to wait for better weather.

Left mine out, not really doing anything 😁

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Southern Star 28th December 2021 13:42

It was a little bit drier today so despite being all poorly with the Omicron I attacked the screws with a pair of locking pliers and managed to get them off. I've left them off, for the time being at least as I'm waiting for my club badge to arrive, hopefully this week but I fitted the retro Green Flag badge anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/zLPrxR9l.jpg

I have new rear light seals on their way as these are leaking, and the coolant leak issue and transmission fluid change are scheduled for mid-January.

75driver 28th December 2021 15:15

With an upcoming mot sometime in January, I thought I should switch out the Xenons to a set of projectors. In NI, Xenons aren’t allowed if no washers fitted. (In 9 years, with 2-4 cars every year going through, I’ve only been pulled twice over it).
Anyway, polished up a set of projectors with the remains of an old 3M kit.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...48c9072a42.jpg

Also fitted nightbreaker 200 bulbs for the dipped beam. Time will tell if they’re any good I suppose.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a4991a7006.jpg

75driver 28th December 2021 18:11

I can now report that the nightbreaker 200 dipped beam bulbs are very good.😃
Better than the Xenons if I’m honest.
As for longevity….that remains to be seen.

Rogue 28th December 2021 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75driver (Post 2914154)

I've been using them for a while with projectors and so far normally about a year a bulb ish

Twisterboy 29th December 2021 07:43

Taking mine to a car meet tonight.

Southern Star 31st December 2021 12:36

Two small but important jobs today.

Firstly I fitted new rear light seals. The old ones were predictably both split, this will be why the boot carpet is so wet. I have to dry this out now somehow, this is easier said than done as I have no indoor space to do it so am reliant on Mother Nature and patience.

Secondly, fitted the club grille badge. A couple of members had reported that after some time the back plate tends to corrode away so I gave this a few coats of Simoniz Tough Satin Black paint first. Whether this helps I won't know for a while. But now I have the badge on the front and the window sticker on the rear.

https://i.imgur.com/qGbDUakl.jpg

Twisterboy 31st December 2021 13:00

New Windscreen fitted today.

Pistons_and_processors 31st December 2021 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75driver (Post 2914154)

Have the same bulbs on my ZT-T. Had to adjust the beam down as kept getting flashed by oncoming cars 😄

Pistons_and_processors 31st December 2021 13:45

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ff74035147.jpg
Cheerio Christmas 🎄 👋🏻

Arctic 1st January 2022 00:32

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistons_and_processors (Post 2914485)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ff74035147.jpg
Cheerio Christmas 🎄 👋🏻

Hi Gavin.
You will be picking those pine needles out of your this time next year,:eek: i would have tied string round it first, then wound cling film round it, which would help with those needles ;) happy new year