The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   75 connoissuer cdti inertia/fuel pump/starting problems (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300722)

jimbournemouth 11th November 2019 08:23

75 connoissuer cdti inertia/fuel pump/starting problems

Hi all, some help please? I was driving and the car suddenly cut out. The doors unlocked automatically and the warning lights came on. When I turned the ignition off and then on again to try to restart the car, the needle on the fuel gauge (which is faulty, saying a quarter of a tank when it is actually empty) jumped to a full tank and then settled again at just over half, which is where it should have been, having just put £20 in. I couldn't get the car to start again and thought it may be the immobiliser playing up, so tried to lock and unlock the car a few times. On the locking function the horn sounded once, and it's still doing that. I had a search through the forum and found a post suggesting the inertia switch, which I have now replaced, but the car still won't start and the horn is still sounding once on locking the vehicle. I've had a read through some posts and I think from what I've read it could be a number of things, fuel pump? inertia switch? problems but I can't find anything definitive. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance and thanks for the great forum.
And if there is anyone in the Bournemouth area who is a 75 expert, I'd be grateful if you got in touch, thanks again!

Geoff130 11th November 2019 19:02

The horn sounding once on locking is an indication something isn't shut, door boot or bonnet. I have just found out in the pouring rain that a dodgy MAF sensor can make the car not start, simply unplug it and if the car starts the sensor is faulty. It's under the engine cover near the oil filler. You'll have to take the cover off to do though.

trikey 11th November 2019 19:05

Sounds like water in the electrics somewhere, do you have highline radio or a sunroof fitted?

marinabrian 11th November 2019 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2775054)
Sounds like water in the electrics somewhere, do you have highline radio or a sunroof fitted?

I suspect water in the EWS too ;)

Brian :D

COLVERT 11th November 2019 19:34

He seemed anxious but hasn't come back to read the above posts.--:shrug:

With all the rain you're having at the moment his ECU might be swimming in a flooded plenum.--:eek:

cb750chris 11th November 2019 21:13

Have you checked your Fuses?
Fuse 28 on the mini blade Fuses, or fuse 20 if you have normal blade Fuses.
If you are stuck, drop me a message and I may be able to pop over and give you a hand

Regards
Chris

COLVERT 12th November 2019 17:23

I see the OP looked in today but not a word from him. Maybe he doesn't know how to find the answers to his post.---:shrug:

jimbournemouth 24th November 2019 08:41

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I've had some personal stuff on, and fortunately the use of another vehicle so the rover has been off the road for a few weeks, I'm hoping to get a chance to try everything today. Will let you know what happens, and I can't find where to thank the posters individually, so hope this will do!

Arctic 24th November 2019 09:02

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbournemouth (Post 2777810)
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I've had some personal stuff on, and fortunately the use of another vehicle so the rover has been off the road for a few weeks, I'm hoping to get a chance to try everything today. Will let you know what happens, and I can't find where to thank the posters individually, so hope this will do![/QUOT

E]

HI James
Do as Chris says and drop him a message see if he can pop over and take a look for you, it will cut out the guessing game. ;)

jimbournemouth 24th November 2019 15:55

Thanks again!

Hi, I've managed to get her running again, it was as cb750chris said, fuse 28, the one for the fuel pump. I have changed the inertia switch as well, although whether that was related to the breakdown is debatable.
Also did the plenums, and yes, there was an inch of water collected in that basin behind the engine, which is now gone,, so hopefully I'll be good to go for a while.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, they worked!!!!
And if someone can tell me how, I'll thank the members that posted replies.
:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown ::bowdown::bowdown: