The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "Bulb Out" problem. URGENT MOT TEST (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308687)

Frogmella 19th October 2020 11:50

"Bulb Out" problem. URGENT MOT TEST

We're booked for our MOT tomorrow.

I have a weird problem with the passenger side front indicator.

When I first switch on the ignition I have a faulty bulb warning on the dash. It's the front passenger-side indicator, the bulb has been changed and is good. The nearside front indicator bulb stays out while the side-repeater and rear flash double normal speed. If I leave it flashing fast for about 10 seconds the bulb-warning lamp goes out and all lights flash at the normal speed.

Then, if I switch off and leave it standing a while and then return to the car later the same thing happens. Warning light, fast flash, wait, warning clears, normal flash.

I had the front off the car on Saturday and checked the wiring behind the bumper, no breaks or chafing, and cleaned the connector thoroughly and on reassembly it was fine, all working normally so I put the front back on.

Today, I test it again and the fault is back, just like before. If there is a wiring problem why would it clear each time (while the car is stationery, engine off, no vibrations to move the wiring about)?

Urgent assistance would be appreciated if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

T-Cut 19th October 2020 12:05

Have you tried swapping the bulb?

TC

macafee2 19th October 2020 12:11

poor contact?

macafee2

trikey 19th October 2020 12:25

Smear some Vaseline on the bulb and try again..

Frogmella 19th October 2020 13:47

I have tried three bulbs.

I have cleaned all the contacts with fine abrasive paper followed by a spray of contact cleaner.

I was hoping someone was going to say it was a computer problem and tell me how to fix it.:}

trikey 19th October 2020 13:53

"Bulb Out" problem. URGENT MOT TEST

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogmella (Post 2843205)
I have tried three bulbs.

I have cleaned all the contacts with fine abrasive paper followed by a spray of contact cleaner.

I was hoping someone was going to say it was a computer problem and tell me how to fix it.:}

No, it will be a connection issue either at the bulb holder or the plug connector

If you want to double check, try the opposite side lamp housing connected to the side that is giving you issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nubsey 19th October 2020 14:42

Would suggest that you make sure it is working, I.E. leave it running for a while before you get it tested. It is a bad connection somewhere and the passing of current through it clears it. I have the same with mine, but only once in a blue moon. So I just leave it. As long as he sees it working all should be ok.

Frogmella 19th October 2020 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2843208)
No, it will be a connection issue either at the bulb holder or the plug connector

If you want to double check, try the opposite side lamp housing connected to the side that is giving you issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's a "why didn't I think of that" suggestion. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.

COLVERT 19th October 2020 20:56

Mine did something like that. It turned out to be light ( :D ) corrosion on the pins in the LSM plug. Spray of WD 40 and all's been well for years now.--;)

Frogmella 20th October 2020 08:38

I went to swap over the lamp fittings but found that the problem was gone. Intermittant faults are the worst.

I've taken it in for the MOT and the indicators worked perfectly all the way there.

I also have a reversing light that I can't get to work but I don't think that's part of the MOT.

Thanks everybody for giving your time to offer advice, I really appreciate it.