The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Dipped beam bulb replacement (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309170)

oldie 10th November 2020 20:24

Dipped beam bulb replacement

It can't be denied Rover designers and engineers had a rare sense of humour. Near side dipped beam bulb has failed; of course, why not one of the more accessible - because that wouldn't have been so amusing. Attempts so far: remove washer fluid bottle filler (not enough space to fit hand), loosen fuse box (see earlier problem), cautiously lift fuse box to one side (hand can reach the bulb holder, can't turn the holder). Recommendations please. Even if I move the fuse box as far as possible I'm not sure I'll be able to gain enough purchase. Surely it can't be a bumper-off-job?

Rick-sta 10th November 2020 20:37

Do you have halogen headlights or xenon headlights?

If halogen and you need to replace the H7 dipped beam bulb you can access it via the access panel in the wheel arch as per the owners manual if you have a copy.

If you have xenons and need to replace the D2S xenon burner, then it's a headlight out job unfortunately. If you do have xenons and need to replace the D2S burner I recommend changing the dipped beam burner in both headlights at the same time. 4300k is the OEM colour temp, you can fit 6000k if you'd like a whiter light.

oldie 10th November 2020 21:03

Halogen lights. Regrettably the v8 has no access hatch, I'll post a picture and give you a bit of a laugh at Rover's sense of humour. If my arm went through two oppositional right angles, had the width of a broom stick and could generate about 50 Nm torque I'd still struggle.

DeeJ 11th November 2020 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldie (Post 2847422)
Halogen lights. Regrettably the v8 has no access hatch, I'll post a picture and give you a bit of a laugh at Rover's sense of humour. If my arm went through two oppositional right angles, had the width of a broom stick and could generate about 50 Nm torque I'd still struggle.

Same problem at the moment again. Always the damned LH one! I have found that it's quicker to take the bumper off, and remove the lamp unit, really, even for the RH lamp (saves the blood getting on the drive too!). Making a hole to fit a hatch-cover in the liner, like on the FWD cars, wouldn't help a lot. I did consider that having a couple of hatch-covers over.

SCP440 11th November 2020 17:33

A lot of cars including some mass produced models made by big manufacturers ( Ford Focus ) require the bumper to be removed to replace headlight bulbs.

The problem is design seems to be more important that servicing and repair.

This is the least of the problems on some modern cars, oil filters and drain plugs in places that are almost impossible to reach unless pieces of engine or undertrays are removed.

oldie 11th November 2020 22:36

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Couple of pictures showing the available space with the washer-bottle filler removed. I'll disconnect the battery and move the fuse box over as far as possible to see if I can get enough purchase (I've been cooked a couple of times AC I'd rather not chance DC). If not looks like bumper off. Something I'd rather do in warmer times.

Rick-sta 11th November 2020 23:27

Quote:

Ah really? All the v8s I've had the front ends off for headlight upgrades I've never noticed that. Thinking about it I think I remember the washer bottle neck being in the way of the access panel in the wheel arch.

If you're going through the headache of taking the bumper off personally I would swap the headlights out for some factory xenons, as the factory d2s burners last a lot longer than halogen bulbs about 95% of the xenons i work on still have the factory burners fitted to them.

ceedy 12th November 2020 09:48

Its quite feasible to partially take off the bumper, done it a couple of times.

Pull out the Sides from the Wing ( put some masking tape on the wing to protect the paint.

then remove all the top bumper fixings, and pull it forward to get better access and leave it at an angle supporting it with something .

makes it easier to put back too .. :D

:getmecoat:

C

edwardmk 12th November 2020 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldie (Post 2847677)
Couple of pictures showing the available space with the washer-bottle filler removed. I'll disconnect the battery and move the fuse box over as far as possible to see if I can get enough purchase (I've been cooked a couple of times AC I'd rather not chance DC). If not looks like bumper off. Something I'd rather do in warmer times.

12v DC is not going to do anything unless you're holding a spanner. Then it can get very interesting lol I guess that's what you meant lol:getmecoat:

Rogue 12th November 2020 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2847734)
Its quite feasible to partially take off the bumper, done it a couple of times.

Pull out the Sides from the Wing ( put some masking tape on the wing to protect the paint.

then remove all the top bumper fixings, and pull it forward to get better access and leave it at an angle supporting it with something .

makes it easier to put back too .. :D

:getmecoat:

C

A little like this :)

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/[...m/vhIa79Th.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/vhIa79Th.jpg