The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dodgy fuel gauge (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309651)

Alex D 3rd December 2020 19:51

Dodgy fuel gauge

Evening all. Either I'm going insane or there's something up with my fuel gauge. When I got home last night I'm fairly sure the gauge was reading somewhere between half and 1/4 of a tank. When I started it up this morning it was bang on 3/4 of a tank. Any ideas?

Westonboy 3rd December 2020 20:05

I know this will sound insane but when my fuel guage behaved like that it was a faulty offside front abs sensor, is your speedo affected?

gnu 3rd December 2020 20:21

Mines played up when I’ve brimmed it and 1 of the 2 level floats has got stuck up the top. That wouldn’t explain an overnight change though:huh:

Alex D 3rd December 2020 20:27

To be honest I only live a 10 minute walk from work so I haven't taken much notice of the speedo. (I know it's lazy but I can't be NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- walking, especially in this weather!) I've got college tomorrow so I'll keep an eye on the speedo and fuel gauge and see what they do.

It runs 4th December 2020 03:15

Again OSF abs sensor . I had the same . Had to change the whole hub in the end no Idea why new sensor cured for a week . So changed the lot then cured . If it is this bear with it for a bit and in due course your abs ligh should illuminate as well

Gunnerhavesome 4th December 2020 05:26

I have had some issues with mine although very infrequently. it usually happens when I fuel up, I always top right up and sometimes start up only for the gauge to show half or 3/4 tank. It usually sorts itself out after either sitting over night or after the next few start ups. However as always fill it and reset the odo i know roughly how afar I can go on a tank full.

This habit stems from my other vehicle an old Range Rover with a 4.6 V8 lump in it. The fuel gauge on that packed up years ago and as I only use it for 3 months over the winter and don't want to spend the £800-1000 to drop the tank to replace the sender unit. So I always fill right up and on a 100 litre tank is a fair amount but given where I use the car it only costs about £45 but then reset the Odo and know I have 200 miles yes that's it only 200 but I know I need to top off again at about 180 miles and then it usually takes about 80 litres so the system works and I haven't run out yet.

Sorry this doesn't fix your issue but if you top it off and know how far you can go on a tank full no worries.

Alex D 4th December 2020 09:56

It was reading half way between 3/4 and 1/2 when I started it up this morning and just under 1/2 when I got to college. No issues with speedo. It may be unrelated but I’ve noticed that the gauge has gone down quicker since I filled it up a few weeks ago than it did last time I filled up. So maybe it was reading low and has now sorted itself out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It runs 4th December 2020 17:05

Maybe a gremlin hiding behind the dash

COLVERT 4th December 2020 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex D (Post 2852068)
It was reading half way between 3/4 and 1/2 when I started it up this morning and just under 1/2 when I got to college. No issues with speedo. It may be unrelated but I’ve noticed that the gauge has gone down quicker since I filled it up a few weeks ago than it did last time I filled up. So maybe it was reading low and has now sorted itself out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is work and college the same place because if not, from your gauge reading' you live a long way from work. 2 gallons or so.---:shocked:

Alex D 4th December 2020 19:23

Work is about 800 yards away and college is half an hour away (17 miles)