The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rover 75 1.8T Jerky ride (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316081)

Kenneth Smith 28th October 2021 01:03

Rover 75 1.8T Jerky ride

Hi, can anyone explain to me why when I turn the ignition switch to the second
position and push the excellerator down 5 times the temporary jerky running stops and the tickover resets if it was running faster than normal at the time. The increase in tickover speed seems to coinside with jerky running I think. I have tried several times to correct the jerky running by changing fuel filter and plugs etc which sometimes temporaly corrects the fault but returns to jerky running later. Regards Ken

planenut 28th October 2021 06:19

Get a diagnostic check done on it; check the wiring to the coils and plugs, and maybe, try a temporary swap with a coil and run it.
Good luck.

SD1too 28th October 2021 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth Smith (Post 2905494)
... by changing fuel filter ...

Hello Ken,

Those with experience of it advise against touching the filter as it's apparently very difficult to reassemble the canister without distorting the seal. Maybe that's what's happened with your car Ken as the fuel pressure would be affected.

Does your filter canister have the orange/white clip fitted?

Simon

vitesse 28th October 2021 08:19

You're in luck - CB750Chris lives in the Portsmouth area, has a T4 diagnostic computer and knows how to use it.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=201841

Regards

Yorkshire GOC 28th October 2021 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth Smith (Post 2905494)
Hi, can anyone explain to me why when I turn the ignition switch to the second
position and push the excellerator down 5 times the temporary jerky running stops and the tickover resets if it was running faster than normal at the time. The increase in tickover speed seems to coinside with jerky running I think. I have tried several times to correct the jerky running by changing fuel filter and plugs etc which sometimes temporaly corrects the fault but returns to jerky running later. Regards Ken

By jerky running do you mean misfires ? If so i would go straight to changing the coils and leads - however as said there is a T4 operator near you so head there to get a definitive answer. Also as suggested by Simon suggested do you have the orange/white clip on the fuel filter -the later petrol filters tend to separate leading to non starts or fuel starvation and poor running - if no clip fitted suggest you get one - they cost A few pounds and can save a shedload of grief .:shrug: hence their original nickname -"fabled orange clip" or FOC.

mbonwick 28th October 2021 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2905502)
Hello Ken,

Those with experience of it advise against touching the filter as it's apparently very difficult to reassemble the canister without distorting the seal. Maybe that's what's happened with your car Ken as the fuel pressure would be affected.

Does your filter canister have the orange/white clip fitted?

Simon

At the risk of dragging this off-topic, I believe it's perfectly reasonable to change the fuel filter.
Like most things fuel-related in the 75, it is a bit fiddly to reassemble but far from difficult if you take your time and are careful.

It's the exact same design as the Mini Coopers of similar age, and for them is a service item - mini forums have plenty of members sucessfully changing filters without issue.

I predict over the next few year we'll start to see more and more of our cars with fuel pressure problems, as the pumps progressively weaken or the filters become clogged.

planenut 28th October 2021 17:22

Try to evaluate the options and take easier and cheaper steps first.