The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   False advice by mot garages (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314826)

donc 20th August 2021 13:47

False advice by mot garages

I am posting this in the hope that it encourages members not to take without question the advice of those mot testers who feel the answer to any mot failure is to "buy a new car". My 1,8t failed recently on disastrous emission readings which led the garage owner to say I needed to get a new engine or completely overhaul the one I have. The car was at the end of its life anyway he said and the best way out was to scrap it. I had a diagnostic test and the answer was a faulty sensor - costing about £80. I took the car back for a retest and was told "it's now a different car". I reminded him of his earlier comments and he didn't know what to say.

macafee2 20th August 2021 13:54

annoying for those that dont know.

I am sure this is a tru story but forty years on, who knows. My sister was quoted for a new gearbox for her MK1 Cortina. When she got home and told our dad, he went outside, had a look .......and closed the ashtray that was vibrating against the gear lever in 1st and 3rd

really glad you got your car sorted for such little money but you must be glad you had it properly diagnosed before going to a replacement car or engine

professionals bah humbug

macafee2

SCP440 20th August 2021 15:07

This is why I keep going on about finding an MOT testing station that you can use every year and does not do repairs.

The testing station I use will do his utmost to get a car through a test for his regulars, I was down there a few weeks ago getting a friends car tested, the car before me he was struggling getting the emissions low enough to get a pass, he had a cloth stuffed up the tail pipe, he was revving it to get the cat as hot as possible and after several mins he managed to get a pass on the machine. A lot of places will just put the test probe up the exhaust and if it fails it will be down to you.

roverbarmy 20th August 2021 16:17

The shape of the 75 tailpipe/s can give testers a problem even getting the probe in, due to the curved shape. (Just an observation!) Mine got damaged and spit out its "horses mane" (sound deadener) after one test!:duh:

Yorkshire GOC 20th August 2021 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by donc (Post 2896556)
I am posting this in the hope that it encourages members not to take without question the advice of those mot testers who feel the answer to any mot failure is to "buy a new car". My 1,8t failed recently on disastrous emission readings which led the garage owner to say I needed to get a new engine or completely overhaul the one I have. The car was at the end of its life anyway he said and the best way out was to scrap it. I had a diagnostic test and the answer was a faulty sensor - costing about £80. I took the car back for a retest and was told "it's now a different car". I reminded him of his earlier comments and he didn't know what to say.

Was it a faulty Lambda/Oxygen sensor ?:shrug:

dave lincs 21st August 2021 08:20

Glad you have got it sorted easily

donc 21st August 2021 09:47

It was a faulty oxygen sensor.

Vossy 21st August 2021 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2896568)
This is why I keep going on about finding an MOT testing station that you can use every year and does not do repairs.

The testing station I use will do his utmost to get a car through a test for his regulars, I was down there a few weeks ago getting a friends car tested, the car before me he was struggling getting the emissions low enough to get a pass, he had a cloth stuffed up the tail pipe, he was revving it to get the cat as hot as possible and after several mins he managed to get a pass on the machine. A lot of places will just put the test probe up the exhaust and if it fails it will be down to you.

Council depot's all do MOT's and they don't do repairs, our local bus garage also does MOT's without repairs.

edwardmk 21st August 2021 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2896558)
annoying for those that dont know.

I am sure this is a tru story but forty years on, who knows. My sister was quoted for a new gearbox for her MK1 Cortina. When she got home and told our dad, he went outside, had a look .......and closed the ashtray that was vibrating against the gear lever in 1st and 3rd

really glad you got your car sorted for such little money but you must be glad you had it properly diagnosed before going to a replacement car or engine

professionals bah humbug

macafee2

Lol. A true professional is never afraid of a second opinion. Always get a second opinion or even a third when you get a big quote. Another great example of Caveat emptor.:eek:

myfirstrover 21st August 2021 11:35

This is why I'm loath to take a car to the like of Halfords , Kwik Fit etc , they always seem to be looking for work , my local testing station has no angle to them at all , if it fails the MOT that's the end of it ," bring it back for a retest when you get it sorted " none of this "we can give you an estimate " nonsense .