The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   T4 diagnostics in South-West London (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291962)

mgb66 17th January 2019 10:27

T4 diagnostics in South-West London

I have an airbag warning light issue and having spent a good deal of time reading the very many and useful threads on this thorny matter have come to the conclusion that a proper diagnosis via a T4 would be the best first step.

However, I live in South-West London and can't seem to find a nearby T4 expert.
I've found the map showing where T4s can be found and have planned a trip to Brown & Gammons but it would be good to find someone nearer if possible.
Any suggestions?

suzublu 17th January 2019 10:53

Just unplug the underseat connectors a few times to clean them:cool:

mgb66 17th January 2019 11:19

Thanks, I can try that, but is it wise to disconnect the battery first? There seems to be conflicting opinion on whether you need to.
The error code that my local garage could find via a Snap-on unit was:
74 Side airbag left high resistance on firing circuit.
Sounds scary!

another_clean_sheet 17th January 2019 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgb66 (Post 2703131)
Thanks, I can try that, but is it wise to disconnect the battery first? There seems to be conflicting opinion on whether you need to.
The error code that my local garage could find via a Snap-on unit was:
Sounds scary!

That is the normal reason for airbag light showing. Safest to disconnect battery and leave for 10 minutes for voltages in capacitors to discharge. Pull connectors apart and together a few times to clean the oxidation on the contacts which is why you have high resistance

stevestrat 17th January 2019 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgb66 (Post 2703131)
Sounds scary!

Just means the circuit isn't completing, usually down to corrosion in the connectors. Be aware that the fault light means the airbag(s) will not operate in the event of a collision.

marinabrian 17th January 2019 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgb66 (Post 2703118)
I have an airbag warning light issue and having spent a good deal of time reading the very many and useful threads on this thorny matter have come to the conclusion that a proper diagnosis via a T4 would be the best first step.

However, I live in South-West London and can't seem to find a nearby T4 expert.
I've found the map showing where T4s can be found and have planned a trip to Brown & Gammons but it would be good to find someone nearer if possible.
Any suggestions?

The passenger side seat thoracic airbag has a high resistance connection at the connector.

If you look under the seat, there are two connectors, one of which has two blue wires in a yellow sheath, this is the side airbag

With the ignition off, repeatedly disconnect and reconnect the plug, at least ten times, then turn on the ignition to see if you've fixed the issue ;)

Brian :D

mgb66 19th January 2019 21:17

Thanks.

Many thanks for suggestions. Will report back.

mgb66 22nd January 2019 08:23

Result!

Many thanks for the suggestions. I ferreted around under the passenger seat and found the yellow connector with two blue wires and remade the connection a few times. Ignition on and 'Hey Presto!' - no warning light. Very straightforward fix.
Extremely grateful to this forum and those who replied.
Meanwhile I would still like to find a T4 nearer to south-west London if possible for future reference. Any ideas gratefully received.

Andy_with_a_screwdriver 22nd January 2019 08:51

To help keep the corrosion away, spray the insides of the connectors with some type of electrical contact cleaner or similar.

stevestrat 22nd January 2019 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgb66 (Post 2704566)
Meanwhile I would still like to find a T4 nearer to south-west London if possible for future reference. Any ideas gratefully received.

I created a map of T4 locations, all those I've been made aware of, see the link in my signature below. South West London seems to be a bit of a desert for T4s unless someone is keeping one up their sleeve :shrug: