The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I know you'll understand... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292961)

TT Tim 15th February 2019 12:59

I know you'll understand...

...had to pop over here as i knew you 'lot' would understand.

I bought my '53 plate, 1.8T touring in Feb '18, for the princely sum of £595.00, covered 6000 miles in the following 12 months, and other than a dodgy bulb seating (totally my fault) it flew through its MOT in December, albeit with an advisory for rusty brake discs.

So when the clutch decided to die on me last weekend (although it was always a tad iffy) I had some thinking to do, was this the end for the old girl?

She soldiered on and we managed just under 800 miles, even without a clutch between Sat and Sun!

https://i.ibb.co/5nzJrtJ/Screen-Shot...t-13-46-59.jpg

With that kind of loyalty, how could I not keep her, so yesterday I spent 82.5% of the purchase price on a new clutch and slave cylinder.

The pedal feel is totally different, but hopefully this clutch will last another 90,000.

Economically makes no sense, but its such a good car!

Brunty 15th February 2019 13:10

One of mine cost me £500 to buy, 2 months later new clutch & slave together with nearside bottom arm and MOT cost double what I paid for the car and worth every penny. You made the right decision!

john2443 15th February 2019 14:04

It doesn't make sense spending on a new clutch , but when the options are

1) £1000 for clutch, flywheel, hydraulics, you've got a car that will be fine for another 100k miles

2) scrap the car and buy another for £1000 that might have all sorts of other issues including needing a clutch

3) scrap the car and spend £5000...£10000 on something better (or a few hundred a month on a lease)

It mostly works out cheaper to spend what seems like a silly amount.

I had to do the sums on my ZT, it managed 160,000 on the original clutch, 60k of them with me. I need to get a few years out of it having spent the money and it is worth something now, without the clutch it was only worth about £27.50!

trikey 15th February 2019 14:24

Makes perfect sense to me, well done for keeping another on the road.

MSS 15th February 2019 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2711556)
Makes perfect sense to me, well done for keeping another on the road.

I'll secomd that. The fact is that you now have a car with a new clutch that should last another70k+ miles.

Makes perfect econimical sense.

zedhed 15th February 2019 15:08

Thing is you don’t buy any car,and not expect anything to wear out on it,after all a clutch is a wear and tear item on any motor.another 1.8t kept alive👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gigagator 15th February 2019 15:29

Before I bought my 75 in November 2017, I was running an Alfa Romeo Mito on PCP that was costing me just over £200 a month. No servicing included in those costs either which was about £250 each year.

With all the work I've done on my 75 it has cost me around £2500, divide that by £200 and you're looking at just over 12 months.

So as of November 2018, my 75 now makes more economical sense to run than a new car on PCP.

I will more than happily keep throwing money at her, it will still work out much cheaper than replacing for a long time to come and even then my heart will probably prevail and I'll keep spending on her.

coab 15th February 2019 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by TT Tim (Post 2711533)
...had to pop over here as i knew you 'lot' would understand.

I bought my '53 plate, 1.8T touring in Feb '18, for the princely sum of £595.00, covered 6000 miles in the following 12 months, and other than a dodgy bulb seating (totally my fault) it flew through its MOT in December, albeit with an advisory for rusty brake discs.

So when the clutch decided to die on me last weekend (although it was always a tad iffy) I had some thinking to do, was this the end for the old girl?

She soldiered on and we managed just under 800 miles, even without a clutch between Sat and Sun!

https://i.ibb.co/5nzJrtJ/Screen-Shot...t-13-46-59.jpg

With that kind of loyalty, how could I not keep her, so yesterday I spent 82.5% of the purchase price on a new clutch and slave cylinder.

The pedal feel is totally different, but hopefully this clutch will last another 90,000.

Economically makes no sense, but its such a good car!

Thats unless the slave fails within a few months.:getmecoat:

Only joking!;)

respace 16th February 2019 09:25

I'm having this dilemma currently with my CDTI, gear changes are getting stiff, any idea how much I should be paying? i know it is more than the car is worth but for reasons stated above it could still be the sensible option.

MSS 16th February 2019 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by coab (Post 2711570)
Thats unless the slave fails within a few months.:getmecoat:

Only joking!;)

That's, think positive! :smilie_re: