The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mystery?? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296202)

Caulkhead 31st May 2019 08:06

Mystery??

Used the tourer yesterday and left it on the drive as always. As I was going to bed I noticed the headlights were on dimly. Went to the car and I had left the key in the ignition, took it out and the headlights went off. Put it back in and they came on again, the light switch was off. Needless to say battery too low to start car, so it is on charge this morning. Any thoughts as to why the lights came on?

chris75 31st May 2019 11:45

This may be relevant ? :shrug:
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ng+home&page=2

COLVERT 31st May 2019 13:12

Perhaps you left the ---See you home----headlights on by accident with a battery that was on its last legs.---:shrug:

Don't forget to give that battery at least 24 hours charge.

The day after charging and before you switch on the engine check the battery voltage at the terminals.--It should read over 12.6 volts if the battery condition inside is OK.

clf 31st May 2019 13:22

Possible wiring short along chassis legs, or corrosion damage lsm?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8a158ba200.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Caulkhead 31st May 2019 18:47

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. Needed to use car so put it on charge for about two hours. Started first time. Has run well all day and started first time when asked. Still mystified as to why lights came on as I hadn’t used the lights, seems leaving the key in was the difference. No lights on tonight, battery on charge but all seems well now.

slovcan 31st May 2019 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulkhead (Post 2737236)
Thanks for the thoughts and advice. Needed to use car so put it on charge for about two hours. Started first time. Has run well all day and started first time when asked. Still mystified as to why lights came on as I hadn’t used the lights, seems leaving the key in was the difference. No lights on tonight, battery on charge but all seems well now.

I'm sorry, I'm not convinced it is OK. I think something may have gone astray with your Light Switch Module. If you get near a T4 you should get it checked.

Good luck,
Glenn

Caulkhead 31st May 2019 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by slovcan (Post 2737243)
I'm sorry, I'm not convinced it is OK. I think something may have gone astray with your Light Switch Module. If you get near a T4 you should get it checked.

Good luck,
Glenn

No t4 on the Isle of Wight, as I said all is well today, so hopefully car will continue to be reliable, on 175k now, so would have to retire it if any problem that proves to difficult to sort. Fingers crossed that whatever happened won’t happen again.

Sheraton 1st June 2019 08:04

"Fingers Crossed" should do the trick....... I'm sure this method is mentioned in many Technical Documents :duh: :getmecoat:

Paul.

COLVERT 1st June 2019 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheraton (Post 2737324)
"Fingers Crossed" should do the trick....... I'm sure this method is mentioned in many Technical Documents :duh: :getmecoat:

Paul.

A tried and tested method used by many people in all walks of life.

( Half the time it works too.--:D---)

Caulkhead 1st June 2019 12:11

Before putting members down why not realise that some of us love these cars but rely on advice from members who have skill and knowledge. My tourer is a 51 plate. It cost me £750 5 years ago, it has passed mot each year without major issues, the bodywork is sound, I get oil and fluids changed regularly. I love driving around the Island with my dogs in the back and often have great conversations with admirers in car parks. I have on each occasion that I have had an issue with the car sought advice from the forum. French Mike, Arctic, Brian, Klarzy, Harry and others to numerous to mention. I have done the sunroof drains, the handbrake, the FBH, the brake discs and pads, those big round things on the suspension and changed the crankshaft pulley recently. I am nearly 70, I do not welcome members posting emojis that brand me as thick, stupid or duh!
As I said the car is at present running fine, access to t4 is not available, I listened to advice, but the car returned to normal running after 2 hours charge, I do not have a garage full of testers, so cannot check it’s s condition. It either works or I get a new one. The remark that my fingers were crossed was not meant to be a technical comment, just that as at present all seems well, I hope the mystery lights on was just an unexplained event. If it happens again I will of course have to seek further advice and support. However, there is a limit to my budget, so fingers crossed that the car continues to be reliable and a joy to drive. My charger says the battery is fully charged and the car is starting and running fine. Cut out the smart ass put downs and judgemental conclusions about members less technically able or knowledgeable. Nice day here, hope all is well for all of you. Love this forum for support, don’t need to be judged or put down!