The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Stainless Steel Rear Subframe Washers (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311594)

Bob Walker 10th March 2021 06:47

Stainless Steel Rear Subframe Washers

1 Attachment(s)
Dear All
I am in the process of collecting all the parts I need to rebuild and replace my rear suspension. One of the parts I could not get anywhere are the four large rear subframe failsafe washers. Many members have just cleaned the originals up and used them again. I always like to replace with new parts, just in case the old ones are not serviceable, and to keep the parts as spares if they are serviceable.
I contacted several automotive washer manufactures to see if they could help but without any luck.
I have eventually found an engineer who would make the tool and make a batch (enough for about 30 subframes) in stainless steel and with the radius which reinforces the washer and to the correct thickness.
I don't intend having any more made as I read somewhere on the forum (after I ordered the batch) that another member has made the press tool to do these!
Drop me a PM with your email address if you are interested in a set of these either to replace the ones you already have on the car or to keep for when you rebuild your suspension.
I'll send you a picture of the finished washers and work out the costings,
Best wishes to all,
Bob

rrobson 10th March 2021 07:44

I’d be weary about using stainless steel, you are asking for trouble if you plan to remove them in future years. Not only that, you will speed up the corrosion of the subframe and the fastener in the area around the washer.

I would highly recommend you use a a low carbon steel for the washers if you want to future proof this. You didn’t extend your search very far, there will likely be a number of people on here (including myself) that could produce tooling to manufacture these with relative ease. But consider a few other advantages to using mild steel; cheaper end products, higher durability and ease of manufacture.

Bob Walker 13th March 2021 18:09

Thank you for the comment

Dear RRobson
Many thanks for your comments. In hindsight, I should have posted something about these washers on the forum. I did look through any posts relating to them. I then contacted automotive washer manufactures but to no avail. I would be wary of using stainless steel bolts into aluminium etc but the washers I have had made should not be a problem. A smear of copper seal should stop any issues. The original washers on my low mileage car were absolutely rotten so I just tried to find a solution.
Very best wishes,
Bob

macafee2 13th March 2021 20:11

If you are going to clean and keep your originals if serviceable, why not just use them?
I know you like to use new parts but if existing are serviceable, there is no point going to the expense of manufacturing new.

macafee2

Bob Walker 14th March 2021 07:47

Washers

The originals are very badly corroded.
Bob

Bob Walker 17th March 2021 18:33

First sample has arrived!

Hi Folks
The first sample of my new rear subframe washers have arrived and I am very impressed with the quality and finish. It is identical to the old one except it has no rust and made from stainless steel!! I have taken onboard RRobson's comment and will provide a small tube of copper seal to lightly smear on the touching surfaces if you would like a set. If you would like a picture please send me a PM

rrobson 17th March 2021 19:00

Copper grease wont protect the subframe and fastener from corrosion unfortunately, you need to electrically insulate the washer from the carbon steel, or use carbon steel. It’s the reason you won’t find any stainless steel in any car construction (apart from the one famous example).

Have a read up on galvanic corrosion, not a lot will happen for a while but if it’s a long term solution I would strongly suggest using carbon steel instead.

I certainly don’t mean to waz on your bonfire, just making you and others aware about the possible issues to surrounding items that may cause issues in years to come. You certainly won’t have catastrophic failure of any components but you certainly will see more corrosion in the long term.

The Mighty Quinn 17th March 2021 19:51

Would be inclined to agree with the above..

Like quite a few, I expect, I was attracted to the stainless slam panel bolts and had them fitted several years ago. Last year, when I was doing a mini resto, I noticed that the captive nuts on the underside of the slam panel (where the bolts thread into) had quite a bit of surface corrosion, although the stainless bolts were, of course, fine. I replaced them again with new carbon steel originals and gave everything a good coat of Bilt Hamber. There's little benefit to stainless steel (other than the surface shine) and I made sure not to use any stainless fasteners anywhere else on the car.

Cheers,
Karl.

75driver 17th March 2021 19:53

Separate the stainless washer from the subframe with a barrier (washer fashioned out of tyre tube) to prevent galvanic corrosion??🤔

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrobson 17th March 2021 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75driver (Post 2871829)
Separate the stainless washer from the subframe with a barrier (washer fashioned out of tyre tube) to prevent galvanic corrosion??🤔

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could, however you’d also need something between the fastener and subframe and through the centre of the washer although you would limit the amount of contact. I wouldn’t want anything compressible holding my subframe on though...
It wouldn’t be that bad if they were tucked away, but they are open to road spray including salty water in the winter and that would increase the corrosion (only tends to be a problem where an electrolyte can coat the two materials and of course salty water is a great electrolyte but water / moisture has a similar although lessened effect)

Quick fix not an issue but long term stick with the oem material