The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   same problem (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305145)

derek v 25th May 2020 13:31

same problem

Hi guys any help would be great as im now lost. Rover 2.5 v6 will start and tick over sweet you can hold the revs on a 3000rpm and sweet. But you drive it for 200 yards and she brakes down.AA came out again and said cant find any faults showing up. Changed Cam sensor. Its just mad it will tick over but not drive

Yorkshire GOC 25th May 2020 13:45

As she starts then cuts out after 200 yards dont think it can be the Cam sensor this will not cause a cut out once started -but it could be a failing crank sensor - as they cut out when they get hot/warm and start working once they have cooled down - when she cuts out again turn her over and if the rev counter stays still that points to a crank sensor issue. :shrug:

SD1too 25th May 2020 14:19

Hi Derek,

A reply from your previous thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2813359)
A failing cam sensor will only cause non starts - it will not cause a cut out as the cam sensor only comes into play on starting thereafter it does nothing. As you are having a cut out and she restarts when cool this points to the crank sensor which when failing can cause non start and cut outs .:shrug:

You chose the wrong sensor Derek! :D

If the crankshaft sensor fails the fuel pump will stop running.

Simon

derek v 25th May 2020 14:20

Now I have another spanner in the works. Fuel tank light came on while i was messing about. So I put a can full of fuel in approx a gallon and now showing half full tank

derek v 25th May 2020 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2814569)
Hi Derek,

A reply from your previous thread:

You chose the wrong sensor Derek! :D

If the crankshaft sensor fails the fuel pump will stop running.

Simon

Thank you so much I didn't know that fact

coab 25th May 2020 16:30

When it happens see if the rev counter moves, a sure sign of the crank sensor goosed.:}

trebor 25th May 2020 21:06

Try re setting the throttle potentiometer Derek, ignition in position 2, do not start car, press accelerator pedal to the floor and release 10 times, nothing to lose by giving it a try.

John Astons V6 had the same issue as yours and this cured his problem

derek v 25th May 2020 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor (Post 2814634)
Try re setting the throttle potentiometer Derek, ignition in position 2, do not start car, press accelerator pedal to the floor and release 10 times, nothing to lose by giving it a try.

John Astons V6 had the same issue as yours and this cured his problem

Thanks Rob i will give it a try tomorrow I have ordered a crank sensor as well just in case

derek v 27th May 2020 20:48

crank sensor

Hi lads my crank sensor came today. Can anybody tell me where it is fitted on the engine 2.5 v6 petrol. Is it on the front or rear of the engine. Going to have a go tomorrow and change it.

trikey 27th May 2020 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek v (Post 2814979)
Hi lads my crank sensor came today. Can anybody tell me where it is fitted on the engine 2.5 v6 petrol. Is it on the front or rear of the engine. Going to have a go tomorrow and change it.

Front of the engine to the RH side of the exhaust manifold.