The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ZT-T/75 tourer tailgate lock problems (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295767)

PC2 14th May 2019 19:52

ZT-T/75 tourer tailgate lock problems

Evening

I did post this last week, but had no response, but I'm sure someone must have some more ideas of what I can check or even a remedy.
I have reached the end of my sanity trying to get the tailgate electronic switch working.
It worked intermittently when I bought the car last year (my third ZT-T - am I mad?) but stopped working completely about 6 months ago.
I have cleaned all the electrical contacts in the tailgate and check wiring for damage.
I have changed the plinth (in case the actual button switch was faulty).
I have now changed the locking mechanism (solenoid) in the tailgate.
I have disconnected the battery for 10 mins and reconnected.
I cannot see a fuse blown (is there a particular fuse I should check?)
I have tried holding remote buttons.
Nothing, it's dead, extinct, without life, expired.....but why?

Has anyone got any other ideas?
Are there some other connections worth checking?

It's a 2003 pre facelift model, low mileage, 190. I need help, please.
thanking you in advance

Paul

Yorkshire GOC 14th May 2019 20:04

Never had the problem but have you seen this - may help your quest:shrug:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=158307

PC2 14th May 2019 20:44

Thanks for that, but it's a different problem. My tailgate locks, but it wont open electronically, but only by using the emergency pull string.
It has to be some kind of electrical issue, but I don't know what else to check. I suppose the two new parts I bought could be dud, but the seller said they were tested before and all in good working order,

cat 14th May 2019 21:51

Have you checked that you've got power at the switch?

PC2 15th May 2019 08:17

is there an easy simple way to do this?

cat 15th May 2019 10:43

Have you got a multi meter? And ideally a wiring diagram and connector diagram. I haven't looked at this area myself but I presume when you changed the switch you undid a connector plug of some sort? If someone more knowledgeable doesn't come along I'll have a look for more info this evening when I'm back from work.

PC2 16th May 2019 11:25

Hi Yes, I have a meter somewhere, I don't think Ive ever used it.
Yes there are various connection. I presume I just stick the meter points into the plug socket and see if there is any power when pressing the button.

pmaliphant 19th May 2019 07:40

Tailgate opening

Don't know if this helps, but my 75 does this intermittently. The rear hatch decides it won't open at all, but I've found all i have to do is put the keys back in and turn on the ignition and hey presto it now opens. No idea why ....!

PC2 17th June 2019 13:18

so, just to finish this thread. After weeks of trying to trace the problem, it was actually where I started. The wiring to the micro switch - if I pushed or pulled the wiring into the switch, it started working. There seems to be a connection problem there. By folding the wire and taping securely, it is fully working. Temp fix, but ;ess hassle than changing the switch at this point!

Tourist 17th June 2019 16:16

Sorry - I've only just seen this thread.

I've had the same problem on my tourer - the switch just stopped working completely one day.

I removed the silver plinth from the car but in trying to dismantle it for testing I managed to knacker it so I just replaced it with one from a donor car.

It's a relatively easy part to replace, except you'll need a security Torx bit to unscrew the mounting screws, which come out from the outside.

Good luck!