The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   gates belts (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316834)

xsport 14th December 2021 14:33

gates belts

im about to order a gates kv6 front timing belt. has anyone bought one online, as im after some information if someone has to the following questions 1. should the belt be sealed in plastic polythene etc .. unopened ? . 2. should it be coiled / packaged in a certain fashion ? 3. are they stamped on the belt with a production date or sheflife advice ? it seems that unless you can sign up to a gates suppliers / members official parts supplier , you cannot buy direct from gates. i ask these questions as i dont want to buy old stock thats been sitting on the shelf for too long. all info appreciated. many thanks. :icon_lol:

trikey 14th December 2021 15:18

Use AUTODOC Stefan, I’ve used them for the last couple of years for cambelt kits and the belt dates are always within a few months of placing the order.

My guess is that as they sell more than most suppliers, their Kan Ban system actually works well!

xsport 14th December 2021 15:22

thanks andy. they have them on offer very cheap at the moment , its just the new import duties and delays now that bother me since we left the E.U.

rab60bit 14th December 2021 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsport (Post 2912292)
thanks andy. they have them on offer very cheap at the moment , its just the new import duties and delays now that bother me since we left the E.U.

Got some Mehle drop links off them a couple of weeks ago. Delivery isn't exactly 'instant', mine took around 5 'real' days transit. What is not great is their communication/tracking - all seemed in limbo for a few days then it was advised as already 'on it's way' and next there was a ring at the door but no sign of progress in between so you can't plan!! I panicked (had an MOT re-test deadline) and got another SIAC set ordered off DMGRS which appeared on the doorstep like lightening; sods law, they arrived within 12 hours of each other so I've now got a set of SIAC in stock.

xsport 14th December 2021 16:10

i have gone along with trikeys advice. even with taxes and vat paid it still saved me quite a bit. all ordered now . im not in that much of a rush so i can wait and see how long the delivery pans out. ... :smiley:

trikey 14th December 2021 16:12

I’ve never been charged any duties on AUTODOC deliveries Stefan, just has a delivery of stuff a few days ago too.

xsport 14th December 2021 18:37

hello andy. just checked the invoice and it says £8.45 delivery costs and £3.55 security delivery costs. VAT was included but not itemised. so its a bit confusing. i did notice though that when ordering the price was said to be before taxes ... so that could i suppose be duties and or VAT ? still whatever it is i am still quids up on other prices i have seen !! thanks again andy.

SD1too 14th December 2021 19:23

Your questions answered Stefan

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsport (Post 2912285)
... I'm after some information if someone has to the following questions 1. should the belt be sealed in plastic polythene etc .. unopened ? . 2. should it be coiled / packaged in a certain fashion ? 3. are they stamped on the belt with a production date or shelf life advice ?

I bought and fitted a Gates kit, so ...
  1. No.
  2. Yes, coiled like a relaxing python. No twisting or hairpin bends.
  3. No, but shelf life is not a concern. The belts will last 20 years in service so even longer basking in the luxury of a moderate and stable temperature shelf.

Simon :D

Dorset Bob 14th December 2021 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2912356)
[*]No, but shelf life is not a concern. The belts will last 20 years in service so even longer basking in the luxury of a moderate and stable temperature shelf.[/LIST]
Simon :D

Gates would disagree with your everlasting belt theory. ;)
This is a copy and paste of their response, when I asked this question:-

They responded as follows:

Hi Robert
Sorry for the delay, the shelf life for the Timing Belts is 8 years prior to fitting, then you have a warranty period of 2 years or 60,000 miles, hope this helps.

GATES POWER TRANSMISSION
Tinwald Downs Road
Heathhall
Dumfries
DG1 1TS
UNITED KINGDOM

Costa Fortuna 14th December 2021 20:40

Am concerned that there is no mention of a water pump and rollers.

Have you bought a kit or just a primary belt, OP?

What about the inter-cam belts?