The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rear parking sensors (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317146)

goltho 7th January 2022 21:21

Rear parking sensors

The rear sensors weren't working when I bought the car in October. Now I've straightened everything out that mattered, I'd like the sensors to work.

There is no clicking from any sensor. I disconnected the connector behind the bumper and cleaned & reconnected it but still nothing. I know at least one sensor is bust due to damage. Am I right in thinking that when reverse is selected, power should go to the module, and power should also go from the module to the sensors? If so, I'll test the car-side connector behind the bumper.

Second question. Is there a display on the IPK as well as a beeper when the sensors do work?

Dougie.

macafee2 7th January 2022 21:48

I dont think there is a display on the IPK. I can probably find another module you can try and see if that solves the problem. I'm perhaps a bit over 20 miles from you if you want to pop over

macafee2

Yorkshire GOC 7th January 2022 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2915476)
The rear sensors weren't working when I bought the car in October. Now I've straightened everything out that mattered, I'd like the sensors to work.

There is no clicking from any sensor. I disconnected the connector behind the bumper and cleaned & reconnected it but still nothing. I know at least one sensor is bust due to damage. Am I right in thinking that when reverse is selected, power should go to the module, and power should also go from the module to the sensors? If so, I'll test the car-side connector behind the bumper.

Second question. Is there a display on the IPK as well as a beeper when the sensors do work?

Dougie.

In answer to your questions

1 - Yes - just check your reversing lights work - if not the reverse switch has failed and your sensors wont work

2 - There is no display on the IPK

3 -Yes when you select reverse there should be a ONE second beep to tell you all is OK

4. In my issues with the parking sensor it has been the connector that draws in the 4 sensor looms and channels them to the parking ECU as it is prone to water ingress

5 . Your parking ECM may have failed - but that is rare - black ECM on early models and white on later models not sure of the cutover date.

6. Check your sensors - select reverse and get someone to listen to them - if they are ticking then the sensor is fine - which would point to the connector or the ECM

7 . Finally in early car the reverse sounder is mounted at the back of the car
and they do fail -Rimmers have them - on later cars the sounder is incorporated in the IPK - if it has failed then the door open sounder wont work as well.

goltho 7th January 2022 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2915487)
I dont think there is a display on the IPK. I can probably find another module you can try and see if that solves the problem. I'm perhaps a bit over 20 miles from you if you want to pop over

Thanks.:} I near enough drove past your door on Wednesday en route to Listers at N-o-T. As Yorkshire GOC has confirmed there's no display to be had, I may actually fit an aftermarket set I've had lying about unused for ages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2915491)
1 - Yes - just check your reversing lights work - if not the reverse switch has failed and your sensors wont work
They work.

2 - There is no display on the IPK
Ta.

3 -Yes when you select reverse there should be a ONE second beep to tell you all is OK
Nope, nothing.

4. In my issues with the parking sensor it has been the connector that draws in the 4 sensor looms and channels them to the parking ECU as it is prone to water ingress
As above, I've checked & cleaned it although it still may be faulty.

5 . Your parking ECM may have failed - but that is rare - black ECM on early models and white on later models not sure of the cutover date.
Mine's black although I've not seen it yet. The cut-off was done on VINs.

6. Check your sensors - select reverse and get someone to listen to them - if they are ticking then the sensor is fine - which would point to the connector or the ECM
As above, no ticking.

7 . Finally in early car the reverse sounder is mounted at the back of the car
and they do fail -Rimmers have them - on later cars the sounder is incorporated in the IPK - if it has failed then the door open sounder wont work as well.
The sounder will be at the back in view of having the earlier module.

Thanks for all that.

goltho 7th January 2022 22:15

So going on from all that, should OEM sensors work with an aftermarket unit? They'll both obviously be 12V but other than that, I'm not au fait with what the sensors require in the way of signal. I'll check in the morning whether the (black) aftermarket sensors will fit in the existing holes; if so, and if they're technically usable, I can paint them to match.

Dougie.

billh 8th January 2022 09:13

Almost certainly the wiring loom between ECU and connector behind the rear bumper. The connector pins get corroded and the copper cable terminations oxidised within the connector.This causes volt drop to the sensors so won't work properly. No amount of cleaning cured mine. A replacement loom worked straight away. ECU was older black type and was fine.

macafee2 8th January 2022 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2915494)
Thanks.:} I near enough drove past your door on Wednesday en route to Listers at N-o-T. As Yorkshire GOC has confirmed there's no display to be had, I may actually fit an aftermarket set I've had lying about unused for ages.

Listers, they are just 5 minutes down the road.

macafee2

goltho 8th January 2022 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by billh (Post 2915523)
Almost certainly the wiring loom between ECU and connector behind the rear bumper. The connector pins get corroded and the copper cable terminations oxidised within the connector.This causes volt drop to the sensors so won't work properly. No amount of cleaning cured mine. A replacement loom worked straight away. ECU was older black type and was fine.

Thanks. I've got the opportunity on Monday to get bits from a same-colour breaking car so I'll get both looms and the sensors. And maybe the module too if it's cheap enough. That should fix 'em. :} I'd rather fix the OE than fit aftermarket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2915524)
Listers, they are just 5 minutes down the road.

They are, you lucky person. I use only them for timber stuff.

Dougie.

hogweed 8th January 2022 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2915495)
So going on from all that, should OEM sensors work with an aftermarket unit?

To be honest, mate, no need to worry about it - if you buy a cheapo kit off eBay it'll come with sensors and everything. Think my entire kit cost £13!

Been working fine now for nearly 10 years...

suzublu 8th January 2022 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2915562)
To be honest, mate, no need to worry about it - if you buy a cheapo kit off eBay it'll come with sensors and everything. Think my entire kit cost £13!

Been working fine now for nearly 10 years...

And mine 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

goltho 8th January 2022 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2915562)
To be honest, mate, no need to worry about it - if you buy a cheapo kit off eBay it'll come with sensors and everything.

I get that.:} I was just thinking aloud about the hole sizes and sensors colour but on reflection, I probably redefined overthinking. It's all sortable. :D

Dougie.

rovertone 8th January 2022 15:34

I bought a set of these for my wifes 25 which are same size and a good colour match (silver). They fit OK into the existing holder in the bumper and will need perhaps a wrap of gorilla tape or similar to make them a snug fit. I haven't done job yet due to ill health as I think Ill need to remove bumper to get at existing sensors.
Ive faffed around for ages trying to get existing ones to work without success, wiring etc all looks brand new as cars only done 29K but at this price far easier and cheaper than going to an auto electrician. Hope this helps.

rovertone 8th January 2022 15:36

Sorry forgot the link!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142316341...8AAOSwuxFYy7oR

hogweed 8th January 2022 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2915572)
I probably redefined overthinking

Ooohh you and me both mate. I was awake till 3 this morning working out measurements etc for a simple fencing job I had to tackle this morning. Round and round, till eventually I took a sleeping tablet…

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovertone (Post 2915582)
Ive faffed around for ages trying to get existing ones to work without success, wiring etc all looks brand new

Again, me too – I stripped the loom out, checked for breaks, cleaned and greased all the connectors (they didn’t need it), checked each sensor for clicking etc etc etc… still didn’t work, gave up.

Not absolutely sure you have to take the bumper off…? Check carefully before you do, as it’s a bit awkward – but I did manage it a couple of times without assistance for other reasons :D

goltho 8th January 2022 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2915585)
Ooohh you and me both mate. I was awake till 3 this morning working out measurements etc for a simple fencing job I had to tackle this morning. Round and round, till eventually I took a sleeping tablet…

I'm laughing with you, definitely not at you. :D:D:D I'm fine with bumpers though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovertone (Post 2915583)
They fit OK into the existing holder in the bumper and will need perhaps a wrap of gorilla tape or similar to make them a snug fit.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142316341...8AAOSwuxFYy7oR

Exactly the ones I was looking at when your notification came through. After to-ing and fro-ing, I've decided to fit the 8-sensor version front and back. They give the useful advantage of a display monitor which I like, and I'll fit it above the rear-view mirror.

So you removed and then reinserted the new Cisbo sensors inside the original holders? The inner diameter of those holders is 25mm; the outer diameter of the Cisbo sensor bodies is 21mm and the front lip is 25mm. So that will give a 2mm all-round clearance inside the OEM holder which I'll need to take up with tape as you mention. The Cisbo sensor lip OD is the same size as the OEM holder ID so that should sit in nice & tight. As far as I can see, the Vermillion Red sensor colour is very close to Copperleaf so I'll take the chance with a near-enough colour match.

Nobody understands the problems we have, eh? :D

Dougie.

rovertone 8th January 2022 19:34

I'm looking at Rover 25 sensors (54 Reg) which I am sure are the same as my 75 (i'll double check again tomorrow). I took out one of the originals and it measures 22mm dia, hence the wrap of tape for the difference.
I haven't actually tackled the job yet but I did try a CISBO unit in the holder and it fits ok.

My reference to removing the bumper refers to the fact its a 25 and when i tried I can't get my hands in to remove clips on three of the 4 sensors, it might be easier on 75.

rovertone 9th January 2022 11:25

Update

Sensors on both cars are the same

goltho 9th January 2022 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovertone (Post 2915665)
Sensors on both cars are the same

Thanks for that. Are your holders the same as mine on the Tourer? The sensors are recessed into them.

http://www.dougie.guru/imgs/sensors.jpg

PaulR 9th January 2022 16:29

I damaged one of my sensors by reversing into a fence, don't ask how! The beeper sounded continuously when in reverse. All the sensors clicked so it was difficult to find which one was faulty.

I tried aftermarket ones which looked identical and some I came across on ebay which came from a different car (Landrover I think). Neither worked. Eventually I luckily came across a NOS set in the right colour on ebay, took the rear bumper off yet again and fitted them. They worked but shortly afterwards the beeper itself stopped working, presumably after working so hard with the faulty sensor! I replaced that and all has been well since.

rovertone 9th January 2022 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2915667)
Thanks for that. Are your holders the same as mine on the Tourer? The sensors are recessed into them.

http://www.dougie.guru/imgs/sensors.jpg

No mine are not recessed they are flush with holder, looks like there are different ones fitted. My 75 is 2003 and 25 is 2004.

goltho 9th January 2022 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovertone (Post 2915760)
No mine are not recessed they are flush with holder, looks like there are different ones fitted. My 75 is 2003 and 25 is 2004.

Thank you. I actually had a look at Ian/mcafee2's saloon this afternoon and saw that - should've put it on here, sorry. The main thing though is that all car versions use the same transducers so mine being a Tourer isn't a factor.

Maybe other things will be, but that won't be.... :rolleyes:

goltho 12th January 2022 16:26

New Cisbo front & rear sensors arrived today. Their Vermillion colour is almost perfect against the Copperleaf so happy with that. Sunshine and warmth threatened tomorrow, so will set-to and hopefully get 'er done.

Display monitor will sit on top of the rear view mirror so will have to dig out the fish wire to run the supply front to back on top of the headliner. I'm also fitting a small round lit switch for the front sensors which may mount onto the front interior light. I'm not interested in having them come on and stay on for 30 seconds when applying the brakes - a manual switch will be fine for parking.

Dougie.

suzublu 12th January 2022 17:27

Good old cisbo. 12 years and counting 😎https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...33a7175991.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

goltho 12th January 2022 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2916136)
Good old cisbo. 12 years and counting 😎

Yay. That's exactly what's gonna happen here tomorrow. :clap:

Briodyjl01 13th January 2022 12:04

I have fitted sensors to one of our 75s and having issues. it is an original dealer fitted rover kit part number VUB 002190 and its fitted correctly. you can feel all 4 sensors vibrating ect but no beep when you stick it in reverse and only the middle 2 sensors work. Would any think its the big white box as it has been sat around for a long time.

trikey 13th January 2022 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briodyjl01 (Post 2916239)
I have fitted sensors to one of our 75s and having issues. it is an original dealer fitted rover kit part number VUB 002190 and its fitted correctly. you can feel all 4 sensors vibrating ect but no beep when you stick it in reverse and only the middle 2 sensors work. Would any think its the big white box as it has been sat around for a long time.

I’d say so Josh.

goltho 14th January 2022 17:16

Two consecutive days of warm sunshine have meant it's been an enjoyable job so far. I pulled the rear bumper off first, removed the old sensors from the holders and chucked them as a couple were damaged and the other two were minging. The new Cisbo sensor bodies were a little loose in the car's original holder sleeves but the outer lip butted up nicely, so I wrapped some duct tape round the bodies to pack them out a bit and used Gorilla glue on the back of the outer lips to secure the sensors to the holders. They look fine.

I've positioned the control box on the rear of the right-side body panel which involved stripping out all the trim from the C-pillar rearwards. The existing wiring provides the +12V ignition feed, +12V reversing feed and the earth, so it was straightforward to solder & heat-shrink them to the supplied feed to the new box. The new rear "loom" i.e. the 4 wires from the sensors to the box were straightforward to fit after removing the old one which runs through a grommet in the rear of the spare wheel well and out to the sensors.

It's (apparently) standard fare for front sensors to operate when the brake is applied and then for 30 seconds or so afterwards. I don't like that at all because reasons, so I've mounted a proprietary switch on the interior light so I can manually turn the front sensors on & off when needed. I fed the wiring to the D-pillar through the headlining along with the wiring for the display monitor which is now fitted on top of the mirror as planned (see suzublu's photo above). Tested it all and it's A-ok. I'm dead chuffed with the result.

The front sensor wires to the control box were only just long enough - by that, I mean they were too short for comfort by about a foot when it came to the farthermost front left sensor. I had to offer up the bumper to about 4 inches from the car and then lift it up to its normal height before just managing to connect the feed wire to the sensor. I had nothing left to play with at the back so it was a close call! Care will have to be taken when removing the front bumper in the future, but it made it by the skin of its teeth.

Job should be done tomorrow. I'll post pics.

Dougie.

hogweed 14th January 2022 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2916417)
Two consecutive days of warm sunshine have meant it's been an enjoyable job so far.

Sunshine? What is that please?

- Roger in NI

PS well done :D

goltho 16th January 2022 15:53

I got the job done today with 99.5% success and the car went back together with no extra screws left over, which never fails to please. :D

One front sensor is unfortunately not working so I've requested a replacement from the seller. It's a pain because I'll have to unbolt and move the bumper forward again to connect it (because guess who unplugged the connector before refitting the bumper:duh:) but hey ho. I decided to paint the sensors as their Vermillion colour was too light, but that only took a few minutes with the touch-up bottle. You'll see the bust sensor on the front outside passenger position as I didn't paint it.

I'm really happy with the switch for the front sensors on the light assembly. The 21mm hole cutter supplied with the sensors was exactly right for the switch, so happy days.

Dougie.

http://dougie.guru/imgs/2022-01-16-01.jpeg

http://dougie.guru/imgs/2022-01-16-02.jpeg

http://dougie.guru/imgs/2022-01-16-03.jpeg

http://dougie.guru/imgs/2022-01-16-04.jpeg

macafee2 16th January 2022 20:55

I have not been following this thread so my appologies.
This web site may be of interest to people, it is a/the Cisbo dealer.
please treat this is post 2 of 2, i seem to have a problem annding another link so will make a separate post

https://www.aetonline.co.uk/
this page for colours
https://www.aetonline.co.uk/front-au...-4l-5270-p.asp

macafee2 16th January 2022 20:57

post 1 of 2
I found this link and scrolling down found a company name
http://www.szcisbo.com/base/contact.aspx

A&E TRADING LIMITED
the other links I posted were from the companies web site

macafee2

goltho 16th January 2022 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2916761)
I have not been following this thread so my appologies.
This web site may be of interest to people, it is a/the Cisbo dealer.
please treat this is post 2 of 2, i seem to have a problem annding another link so will make a separate post

No need to apologise.:} AET in fact were who I bought from on eBay. I messaged them telling them of the faulty sensor and asking for a replacement and had a reply from them literally 5 minutes ago, asking me to do what I already told them I've done i.e. tried the sensor with other wires & control box sockets to identify what's at fault. At least they've replied. :}

Dougie.

goltho 28th January 2022 18:02

Very happy with the sensor fit. I took the car to London yesterday and had to park several times in tight spots (bear in mind I've turned into a carrot cruncher after 25+ years in Lincolnshire....). Both the front and rear sensors were superb and made my day that little bit easier. :}

Dougie.

SD1too 28th January 2022 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2918432)
I took the car to London yesterday ...

:eek: Did you pay the ULEZ?

Simon

goltho 28th January 2022 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2918434)
:eek: Did you pay the ULEZ?

Simon

How very dare you sir!! :D Of course not. Had to go to Sutton (Slutton to the locals....) so zoomed round to Wisley M10 M25, up the A3 and then over to Worcester Park etc. So none of your 'orrible "inside the North/South Circ" for me, thank you very much.

Dougie.

SD1too 28th January 2022 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2918438)
Had to go to Sutton ... and then over to Worcester Park etc.

Ahh, Sutton comes under the County of Surrey and i think Worcester Park may do too. So we'll have none of your "London" thank you very much! :D :laughing2:

Simon

goltho 28th January 2022 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2918439)
Ahh, Sutton comes under the County of Surrey and i think Worcester Park may do too. So we'll have none of your "London" thank you very much! :D :laughing2:

Simon

Still a London borough “mate”. :p:

SD1too 29th January 2022 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2918446)
Still a London borough “mate”. :p:

Ah, that's a good point Dougie. My information must be out of date. Anyway, well done for circumventing the ULEZ. :}

Simon