The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Over heating diesel (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319116)

dingdong1960 13th May 2022 11:41

Over heating diesel

Hi ..diesel ...runs normal temp around town ..soon as i go up hill ..car overheats !.and starts rattling ! ..which stops as car cools down ...any ideas??
Fan works ok ...no bubbles in header tank ..tho bottom hose dosnt seem to get hot ..unlike top hose ...

tourer 13th May 2022 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingdong1960 (Post 2931813)
Hi ..diesel ...runs normal temp around town ..soon as i go up hill ..car overheats !.and starts rattling ! ..which stops as car cools down ...any ideas??
Fan works ok ...no bubbles in header tank ..tho bottom hose dosnt seem to get hot ..unlike top hose ...

Hi.

Over eating owner!
I also get hot going uphill.
Bottom hose also been known to get hot in certain circumstances. :}

Ducati750cc 13th May 2022 12:11

Quote:

It could be a faulty thermostat or other part of the cooling system preventing the correct coolant flow when hot, especially as the bottom hose is notably cooler

Does the noise sound more like a crackling sound than a rattle? you can get this noise when due to insufficient cooling, or sluggish coolant flow, when the coolant reaches the hottest parts of the head, which will be hotter than normal, it forms ' steam ' bubbles, this steam bubble quickly reverts back to water due to the bubble moving through the cooler coolant and the coolant being under pressure.

There will be no bubbles seen in the coolant when this happens.

When it's doing it you should also be able to feel the pulses in the top hose with engine off if you're quick.

dingdong1960 13th May 2022 16:08

certainly a rattle !..

dingdong1960 13th May 2022 16:09

yep sounds like me too ...tho bottom hose soft and limp !!

dave lincs 13th May 2022 16:34

Does the heater work if set on full heat? last time i had one do this the impeller had fallen off the water pump

dingdong1960 14th May 2022 04:42

Yes heater works fine ..

SD1too 14th May 2022 07:24

Quote:

... tho bottom hose dosnt seem to get hot ...

It's almost certainly your thermostat stuck or not opening fully Chris. They're known to be unreliable on the diesel.

Simon

Arctic 14th May 2022 07:49

Hi Chris.
You say the fan is working have you done the demist test? also as above the original thermostats on the diesel tend to open slowly, so maybe it's not fully open when you go up hill, how far have you travelled to the said hill or is it all hills even if you have been driving for an hour or more?

dingdong1960 14th May 2022 15:37

Hello there ..thanks all for helpful replies ..Arctic ...demist test ????think i had done approx 10-15 miles ..its all hills around here !!! ..diesel tourer i had previously was exact opposite ..ran really cold til i did thermostat in top hose trick ...temp gauge rises to half way and stays there til i up a bl**dy hill !! i then have to put heater on full to help cool it ..fan comes on ok ..also starts rattling too ( water pump impeller ?)...its not losing or using coolant ..nearest 75 guy cant look at it til mid june ..