The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New car costs. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310628)

jackatesme 21st January 2021 21:25

New car costs.

Council in Barry, S.Wales are sending out letters to people who park on drive. They must install an appropriate vehicle crossing off the road. But 1st they must apply for permission, applications cost £215.

Steamdrivenandy 21st January 2021 21:27

That's normal local authority procedure and has been for decades.

stocktake 21st January 2021 21:34

Looks like its where people have installed their own parking and not applied for the kerb dropping?

A Vale of Glamorgan council spokesman said: “Scheduled highway inspections have identified instances where people have been driving onto the kerb and over pavements to access their driveways.

“Under the Highways Act such a practice is not allowed unless a properly constructed dropped kerb which can support vehicles has been installed. If this is not in place pavements can sustain damage and require repairs.

“The council has asked properties that do not have properly constructed vehicular access to their driveways to pay for the necessary adaptation work. Anyone having difficulty finding the funds should contact the council to discuss the matter.

Steamdrivenandy 22nd January 2021 08:13

When my dad had a garage built at our family home it's short drive was out onto the road at the rear of the property. He had to apply and pay for a dropped kerb. That was in the early 1960's.

coolguy 22nd January 2021 13:02

It all depends on how focussed your Local Authority is, or whether your neighbours dislike you, as to the enforcement of what has always been the law.
Such crossings used to be frequently refused years ago, but as car usage has grown, you are unlikely to be refused now. Average price for the installation of a dropped kerb is around £700 I am told, and this is on top of the application fee. many Authorities insist that their Highways partner does the work as well.

torque2me 22nd January 2021 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2861056)
“The council has asked properties that do not have properly constructed vehicular access to their driveways to pay for the necessary adaptation work. Anyone having difficulty finding the funds should contact the council to discuss the matter.

So, an owner/renter can afford to run a motor vehicle but not the kerb-drop charge? No surprise there!

Kev

Ian G 22nd January 2021 17:25

I can see the reasoning behind this and it has been in place for many years but I wonder how many people in Barry park outside their house with two wheels on the pavement without penalty. Must be easy money there to pick up.

jackatesme 22nd January 2021 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamdrivenandy (Post 2861055)
That's normal local authority procedure and has been for decades.

We must be well behind the times down here.:} It made the BBC Welsh news on line.:}