The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Time to rething Diplomatic ammunity (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299759)

stevestrat 9th October 2019 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2767563)

Some of our guys had speeding fines from France recently, they should apply for Diplomatic Immunity from paying only fair. :D

Rev.

I don't think the fact that Brian is the self declared president of the People's Republic Of Tyneside would qualify as being a diplomat and let's face it diplomacy isn't his strongest point :D

WillyHeckaslike 9th October 2019 16:00

The expenses fiddlers have had a least since April 1984 to negate this happening again but they have been preoccupied with apparently ... well, hmm? :shrug:

:smilie_re: Looking on the positive side, would the English courts and system on recent and maybe not so recent past performance deliver justice on behalf of a victim better than the American equivalent if it comes to pass? :getmecoat:

paulonsite 9th October 2019 16:26

Bags of fun

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2767074)
A new slant on The Diplomatic Bag.

Funny you should say that...I used to potter about with the British Council (amazing people doing priceless bond-building work) and 'The Bag', to my immense surprise was a concept not a thing. Turned out you could (back then) send anything through a bag, from a pen to an aircraft carrier and yes, on several occasions, me!

Apparently I was an awkward load :D

wraymond 10th October 2019 09:30

Entirely for the sake of clarity I would like to point out the very last thing I was intending was that any reference to a 'bag' was completely without suggestion as to the morals of the escapee, sorry, third party. I am sure the lady is beyond any criticism whatsoever and is a model of tact and diplomacy. The fact that she broke the law by lying and fleeing the country after giving an assurance to the police that she would remain (sorry about that word) for further enquiries to be made is moot. She has not been charged with anything and not found guilty by a court. At the moment her national leader is watching developments with interest in case any fake news breaks out, even from reputable sources. So that should be OK then. Phew.

stevestrat 10th October 2019 11:36

Trump spoke about it at a press briefing, he said US officials will speak to her . . . . but . . . . a photographer captured a pic of Trump's briefing notes which stated she would not be returned to the UK.

MissMoppet 10th October 2019 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2767764)
a photographer captured a pic of Trump's briefing notes which stated she would not be returned to the UK.

I think I'm right in saying that you can't extradite anyone from the US, but they can extradite a UK citizen across the pond. Remember the recent cases over alleged young hackers here. Funny that.

dattrike 10th October 2019 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2767770)
I think I'm right in saying that you can't extradite anyone from the US, but they can extradite a UK citizen across the pond. Remember the recent cases over alleged young hackers here. Funny that.

True, but they didn't have Diplomatic Immunity.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

RPWC 11th October 2019 07:17

Comes back to 1 rule for them, and one for everybody else.

KWIL 12th October 2019 09:38

It's called extraterritoriality, US laws apply anywhere in the world (when it suits them!)

wraymond 12th October 2019 22:28

Apparently the Foreign Office now confirms Anne Sacoolas does not have diplomatic status. She has also said she would like to meet the family of the deceased to express her sincere condolences.