The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   High mileage car (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305212)

GBCB1986 28th May 2020 10:13

High mileage car

Hi all, just want to get opinions, I’ve seen a nice looking 05 plate CDTI tourer for sale but it covered 189k. It’s up for £1100. What do we think? Ok for a punt or forget it? Cheers

trikey 28th May 2020 10:27

That’s not high mileage, check out the ‘moon club’ thread on here, the car will be fine if you service it regularly.

myfirstrover 28th May 2020 10:38

Might pay to check the service history ? if it's been well looked after the mileage should be no problem

coolguy 28th May 2020 10:51

There are lower mileage examples around at that price, but like most of my spots, they are not in the right area under the current situation.

Briodyjl01 28th May 2020 11:33

If it looks good and all that it will be fine mine is nearly on 250k

Rick-sta 28th May 2020 12:19

Don't know the exact spec of the car you're looking at but unless it's a higher spec car I've seen others up for less recently with that kind of mileage.

Best to check the MOT history of the car online, usually gives you a good idea if the car is going to be a good one or a constant problem. Whenever I check the MOT history and see failures or a lot of advisories every year I tend to avoid it.

The diesels if well looked after will run way past that mileage, one of ours is on 215k, one is on just shy of 200k and another is on 162k.

coab 28th May 2020 14:18

Just remember the engine you dont have to worry about as they are 99% bullet proof and new ones are pennies as there is no demand! Just look at suspension, steering and everything else as 15 years and general everyday use reflected in the miles will have some effect on the car. Motorway miles are obviously great as the miles rack up but the other parts of the car get little wear.
Do all the checks as the fine people on here will tell you about and you should be fine.:}

Kevin Williams 28th May 2020 15:52

Just echoing Coab's [how do Sean?] and other posts.

Before the lockdown I visited a friendly breaker, and saw the rear suspension of a broken 14 year old R75: it was in the usual state. In the yard for breaking next were two fairly good looking 9/10 year old Merc C classes and Audis as MOt failures which surprised me till the owner showed me underneath....far worse rot than the 75 and the rear suspension arms were a lot thinner than the 75 [which are not a good thickness when new in my opinion-but I'm not an engineer]. There again, I shouldn't be surprised as VW are reported to have said that new cars are built to last on average 8 years, which, if true, is pretty damning.I'm guessing that there isn't much corrosion protection underneath to support this theory.

Hope this helps in your decision

Kevin

victorgte 28th May 2020 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBCB1986 (Post 2815045)
Hi all, just want to get opinions, I’ve seen a nice looking 05 plate CDTI tourer for sale but it covered 189k. It’s up for £1100. What do we think? Ok for a punt or forget it? Cheers

I bought a 75, 2004 plate last June. Drove superb for 3 months. Within 6 months of purchase it was being broken and has now gone. Absolutely rotten. Yes the rear suspension arms had been changed but when the jack went through the sill, I had to investigate further and found many more rot points. Sills were full of sand and soil. A cocktail for substantial rot. No way was I spending more money with substantial welding just for a new MOT.
I’m seeing adverts more often saying, “needs welding” or “welding done”. Best one is “should fly through its MOT”. Sadly, however good the mechanicals of the car are, rust is killing them first so have a good prod around.

genpk 28th May 2020 18:10

my diesel has done 250,000km (155,000 miles) and i use it to drive 600km trips
to our holiday house every few weeks and still going strong.
The things that have been done are the water pump, thermostat and crankshaft pulley, all items of wear which you should see if they have been done if history is available.
If not, at some point i would think you may be up for them.