The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Any one seen the 2017 film Dunkirk? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305398)

macafee2 4th June 2020 21:01

Any one seen the 2017 film Dunkirk?

Any one seen the 2017 film Dunkirk?
What did you think of it?

Reviews seem to be good but I've just watched it, I did not like it at all.

macafee2

BoroRover 4th June 2020 21:37

I too, found it to be somewhat of a letdown. I couldn't, " get into", the film very much at all, at times losing some interest, and picking up the TV guide for a scan.

Shame, I was really looking forward to seeing it too.

mh007 4th June 2020 23:21

Yes, an absolute disappointment I'm afraid.

Mr bountyfull 5th June 2020 00:08

I actually enjoyed it.

Rogue 5th June 2020 00:48

I wasn't overly impressed... Unlikely to ever watch it again so deleted it from the media pc.

Roverlike 5th June 2020 04:54

I watched it, but nothing special to me.

coolcat 5th June 2020 05:56

Not impressed either. I thought the timeline was all over the place.
I also thought it was very underwhelming in its portrayal of the enormous amount of service men that were actually being evacuated.
I know cgi can be over used, but I really think it should have been used here to show the scale of what actually happened !

Dawn 5th June 2020 07:44

I tried it when it first came on Netflix, I just couldn't get into it at all. I ended up switching off after about half and hour. My late brother was a bit of a military buff, so growing up I was subjected to every war movie ever made. I am of the opinion you can't beat the old ones! And they didn't rely on CGI to do the trick either. Same with the fuss about the Cameron Titanic movie - I prefer A Night to Remember personally!

macafee2 5th June 2020 07:47

so with 1 vote for it and seemingly 7 against, how come the reviews were good?
Surly the reviews are not "corrupt" are they? :)

I thought the beech landing scene in Saying Private Ryan were more horrific

macafee2

Teflon 5th June 2020 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2816722)
Not impressed either. I thought the timeline was all over the place...…...

You're not kidding - especially the bit near the end, where they ride home in a 1970s railway carriage!

I'm no train spotter, but the inside of the railway carriage was in no way period correct. The view from their carriage window as they pulled into "Woking Station" also less than realistic.

I was also somewhat disappointed in the character "Dawson" (I think that was his name) who sailed the small boat across the channel. He was clearly based on Commander (Retd) Lightoller, but why change the name? Legal reasons I guess.

Cliff