The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   CDTI Auto More fuel woes (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309339)

Stephen0 19th November 2020 05:54

CDTI Auto More fuel woes

Hi, Having a fuel problem with my 2003 CDTI Auto.

About two months ago the car refused to start, i suspected the Under bonnet fuel pump, so i tapped it with a screwderiver, and bingo! the car started, it was like this for a couple of weeks, sometimes it would start, sometimes not, but a little tap on the pump always got it going. So i changed the Pump for a mid priced one and all was good again.

Got up yesterday morning, the car started fine, a quarter of a tank of fuel, drove half a mile to the petrol station, filled up with Diesel, car then refused to start at the pump, called RAC. He plugged in the diagnostic, at first he said it had a high pressure fautl then changed his mind and said a low pressure fault.

He then checked fuses and power to under bonnet pump which were all ok, he said the under bonnet pump was hot!

So...a tow in to my local garage, they fit a new, but cheep and very noisey under bonnet pump.

They phone me to collect the car, the car now starts fine, but drives abismal, no power, and it wont rev above about 2300 RPM.

They are a little stumped, i did mention to them the other, in tank pump.

With the fuel filler cap off, i think it can just be heard but its very quiet. The in tank pump was changed around 4 years ago.

I would be very gratefull for any pointers.

Thanks.

trikey 19th November 2020 08:15

I would buy a pump from Rimmer brothers, far too many bad quality ones out there at the moment.

Mike Noc 19th November 2020 10:22

Some of the new pumps come with clear plastic protectors over the open pipe ends. If one is left on it can jam in the fuel hose and partially block it causing the faults you are experiencing.

COLVERT 19th November 2020 10:38

I see that you've been on the forum 2 years now and this is your first post. OK up to now then ??

Have you had a look through the---How-To--- section.
Lots of posts in there about both fuel pumps. Problems and cures.--:}

Stephen0 19th November 2020 11:50

Thanks, i guess its probably either a very poor quality replacment fuel pump, or the mechanic who fitted it has partially blocked the flow by leaving the protective cap on, this seems unlikely.
Though it dosent explain why the pump i purchased from DMGR only lasted 8 weeks and according to the RAC man was getting very hot, perhaps the fuel filter is blocked.
Thanks anyway.

COLVERT 19th November 2020 12:54

Could be a partial blockage as the flow of fuel through the pump is what keeps it cool.--:}

Stephen0 19th November 2020 14:35

Thankyou, turns out you are spot on the money.

Just had a call from the garage, all sorted, now pulling like a steam train...

Blocked fuel filter.
142k miles, but still sweet.

Thanks all.

Alf Best 20th November 2020 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen0 (Post 2849269)
Thankyou, turns out you are spot on the money.

Just had a call from the garage, all sorted, now pulling like a steam train...

Blocked fuel filter.
142k miles, but still sweet.

Thanks all.

I wonder if your original fuel pump was okay? after all a blocked fuel filter may have caused the breakdown.

Might be worth asking if the garage have the old pump, especially if the new one is noisy.

Mike Noc 20th November 2020 21:39

Strange that the MIL didn't light up - it should with a blocked fuel filter. Any blockage further down wouldn't affect the UBP as the differential pressure valve would open, but that sits after the filter. :getmecoat:

Arctic 21st November 2020 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen0 (Post 2849225)
Thanks, i guess its probably either a very poor quality replacment fuel pump, or the mechanic who fitted it has partially blocked the flow by leaving the protective cap on, this seems unlikely.
Quote:

Though it dosent explain why the pump i purchased from DMGR only lasted 8 weeks and according to the RAC man was getting very hot, perhaps the fuel filter is blocked.
Thanks anyway.

Then you need to contact them as they have a warranty on the pump for 12 months i think?:shrug: