The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Intermittent Slightly Sluggish Start 1.8T (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292958)

Lovel 15th February 2019 12:30

Intermittent Slightly Sluggish Start 1.8T

Very unusually for my runabout, these last few weeks I have been experiencing a sluggish start before the engine catches when the engine is cold. This occurs in very low outside temp and when relatively warm, perhaps 1 in 6 start ups are sluggish.

The engine runs perfectly right up to the redline once running. Excellent fuel pressure reading (not backed off or extruded elastomer at the filter housing) at shraeder valve and before the inlet manifold.

Initially I thought it was the fuel pump relay, due to my perceived lack of prime when turning the engine to ignition switch to position II, but it turns out I was getting prime. I changed the fuel pump relay out as a matter of course but this has made no perceivable difference.

I have not run T4 diagnostics yet, but now I am focusing on the cam or crank sensor. Anybody have any comments on this scenario?

VVC-Geeza 15th February 2019 13:16

I had a similar scenario with my 45 in very cold weather. I was in the habit of letting the fuel run very low before filling up. On occasions it struggled to start and it briefly brought the EML on. I took a fault code reading and it came back as fuel starvation and misfire on 3. I put a new set of plugs in and made sure I didn't let the tank run so low and haven't had a problem since.

Lovel 15th February 2019 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza (Post 2711526)
I had a similar scenario with my 45 in very cold weather. I was in the habit of letting the fuel run very low before filling up. On occasions it struggled to start and it briefly brought the EML on. I took a fault code reading and it came back as fuel starvation and misfire on 3. I put a new set of plugs in and made sure I didn't let the tank run so low and haven't had a problem since.

I run the tank until the gauge is close to empty on all my 75’s and never had an issue of fuel supply to date. However the scenario occurs whether full or empty.

zedhed 15th February 2019 16:12

Would have thought it was quite normal in the cold weather tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovel 15th February 2019 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhed (Post 2711562)
Would have thought it was quite normal in the cold weather tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the most extreme cold days (we get lots of them up here) it starts on the button exactly the same as on a hot day.
Every now and again I get a little delay before it fires up independent of whether it is cold or hot outside temperature.

COLVERT 15th February 2019 17:59

Sluggish starts ???----You've not mentioned the battery.

Bit low on charge ???

Needs at least 12.8 volts for a fast start. Multi-meter time.---:D

Lovel 15th February 2019 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2711590)
Sluggish starts ???----You've not mentioned the battery.

Bit low on charge ???

Needs at least 12.8 volts for a fast start. Multi-meter time.---:D

The motor turns over as fast as ever, it just needs a fraction of a second more to start to my ear, and something is going. It never failed to start in the recent minus temps we had constantly up here for some weeks. However I agree a good battery can make all the difference, and you may be right :shrug: The battery is some years old and this may be a factor.

Lovel 16th February 2019 13:28

12.1v this morning so a new battery it is then. :}

Yorkshire GOC 16th February 2019 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovel (Post 2711789)
12.1v this morning so a new battery it is then. :}

Pleased to have seen this post - my car has been slightly hesitant on startup - nothing on OBD - so just been out with the multimeter - and it reads 12.10 -12.11 - so a new battery - a bit miffed as the battery is a Varta and only just over 2 years old.:shrug:

roverbarmy 16th February 2019 15:11

Inlet manifold gasket leak comes to mind. Any misfire and white smoke on start up? Things usually clear once the engine warms and the coolant is expelled from the cylinder/s.:shrug: