The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   And we think our cars have problems (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290799)

Number 6 6th December 2018 15:26

And we think our cars have problems

I was just doing an MOT check on a car for someone an came up with this.

04 plate Jaguar x Type.

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

Nearside Rear Inner Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected sill (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
Offside Rear Inner Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected sill (5.3.6 (a) (ii))

Repair immediately (major defects):

Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded to rear x (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Nearside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced floor (7.1.1 (a) (i))
Offside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced floor (7.1.1 (a) (i))
Nearside Outer Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced sill (7.1.1 (a) (i))
Offside Outer Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced sill (7.1.1 (a) (i))
Rear Sub-frame corroded and seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension arm corroded and seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Offside Rear Wheel bearing rough when rotated (5.1.3 (b) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Rear Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

Groundsman Willie 6th December 2018 17:00

With that amount of rot, he's not even going to get much weighing it in:icon_rolleyes:

victorgte 6th December 2018 17:54

No one should be surprised by that list. It does however beg the question as to what condition it was in at the last MOT.

SCP440 6th December 2018 18:26

These Jags have been failing there MOT's like this for a while. I have seen some minters on the top with low miles looking like a pepper pot underneath.

vacuman 6th December 2018 20:20

I feel happier reading this as I often see spotless X-types around my way, all of a good age yet have retained a look of prestige and value.

Now i know that that are all rotted away underneath I can snear accordingly :snowball:

SCP440 6th December 2018 22:25

There was one my MOT tester showed me that he had failed that day. On top it was spotless and was top spec with under 30k on the clock. Underneath it was shocking, so much rust it looked like it has been submerged for a lengthy period. It was that bad he told the owner he was lucky that nothing on the suspension had broken free.

The crazy thing was the previous year he had not even advised on any rust just a tyre close to its limit.

Canonite 7th December 2018 06:12

That reads like they pulled it out of the sea

willshot 8th December 2018 12:36

My 2002 MGTF went in for MOT two weeks ago and garage called me in. The car was up on a ramp and it was well rusty underneath. The front suspension arms had holes in and the subframe was seriously rotten. The rear suspension wasn't much better. Last year it went through MOT OK. Needless to say the repairs would have been prohibitive so I scrapped it. From the top all looked OK and it only had 33K miles on it. :mad::mad::mad:

Shide 9th December 2018 10:35

Rusty Jags

Don't know what is going on at Jaguars, they just don't seem to have got to grips with rust problems on their cars. Lots of F-type owners are complaining of rust.

Jim Jamieson 9th December 2018 11:27

It’s not only Rover and Jaguar who have this problem.

Most manufacturers these days don’t spend the time on rust prevention on ancillary components like suspension units.
I think they reckon these units will come up for renewal due to wear rather than corrosion.