The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   loud knock (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=315921)

wise1 19th October 2021 23:19

loud knock

hi all, after your advice on this please, ive had a knocking from front suspension for a few months now, it passed mot in aug, my mot mate looked at it all before mot just to check it all but we couldnt find the problem as only does it in an up and down movement! its magnified at 10 to 20 mph over little bumps or damaged ashalt,
we thought it must be the front dampers or strut top bearings so i have replaced both front shocks entirely, new trackrod ends, droplinks and done the last front wheel bearing to be replaced.(all decent parts)
sounds like o/s front to me, had new meyle bottom arm and bush last year and the other side feels ok when not connected, the arb felt ok also with it unconnected from droplinks?
im thinking arb bushes poss or part of the steering rack may be worn as £700 later and alot of hassles the knock is still there!!:bowdown:
any advice would be much appreciated, cheers

stevestrat 20th October 2021 08:53

Check the exhaust. I had similar with a 1.8T, knocking when going over rougher sections of road. Seems the exhaust had dropped just enough to bring the exhaust tunnel cross braces within range of the exhaust movement. Suspecting the rubber mounts may have been tired I replaced them which helped, my mechanic mate ended up making an additional mount, that cured it.

COLVERT 20th October 2021 21:19

:iagree::wot::munch:

trikey 20th October 2021 21:26

Disconnect the drop links at the ARB, cable tie the ARB so it doesnt move then go for a drive and see if the sound has disapeared.

wise1 22nd October 2021 22:56

great stuff thankyou very much i shall test it! cheers

edwardmk 23rd October 2021 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2904394)
Check the exhaust. I had similar with a 1.8T, knocking when going over rougher sections of road. Seems the exhaust had dropped just enough to bring the exhaust tunnel cross braces within range of the exhaust movement. Suspecting the rubber mounts may have been tired I replaced them which helped, my mechanic mate ended up making an additional mount, that cured it.

I had a loud knock suddenly develop on the ZTT. Took it to Quick fit today in Pool/Redruth.
They said they would take a look but we’re too busy to do anything. Ten minutes later they handed back the car. They replaced a failed exhaust rubber and wouldn’t take any payment. Said my exhaust was fine and that was all that was needed but I could pop a donation in their charity box for prostate cancer.
Very impressed with their service and honesty.:bowdown:
Ps knock seems to have gone too. Nice when it’s simple:}

wise1 23rd October 2021 19:17

Knocking!!

Not checked exhaust or taken links off and driven it yet but could it poss be the steering rack is coming loose as my garage friend has suggested!? He's seen it a few times before!
If so where are the bolts to check?
Two i think looking at rimmers, are they accesable...?