The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cheapest and most reliable way to obtain fully functioning spare keys (Cambridgeshire (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=301687)

cadcam 24th December 2019 10:16

Cheapest and most reliable way to obtain fully functioning spare keys (Cambridgeshire

I have been reading back through some of the posting about obtaining keys and am finding it quite confusing to obtain a firm idea of the way to go.

I have a new (to me) 75 CDTi which came with one fully functioning key. I have now had a replacement blank cut by Timpsons which at least gets me into the car but of course doesn't start the it.

I have been quoted >130ukp by Timpsons, for a 'fully' working key and >170 by Rimmers.

Both seem to want access to the car to program the new key, which makes Rimmers quite expensive re time/travel.

Does anyone know of a easier, and ideally cheaper, option in the Cambridge area?

NB I do have two keys from my previous 75 both working but one doesn't seem to have the full code printed inside the fob.

[ Previous 75 CDT was going well until hit a smallish lump of mud/concrete in the road which unfortunately managed to smash the sump! So probably going to the breakers in the sky ]

Many Thanks

Yorkshire GOC 24th December 2019 10:54

Drop Big Russ or Marinabrian a PM -they are the key gurus - also might be worth a PM also to Trikey who is South of Norwich - he can also fettle keys to some degree. :xmas-smiley-008:

BoroRover 24th December 2019 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2783030)
Drop Big Russ or Marinabrian a PM -they are the key gurus - also might be worth a PM also to Trikey who is South of Norwich - he can also fettle keys to some degree. :xmas-smiley-008:

Yep, they are the kiddies !!!

marinabrian 24th December 2019 21:09

Take a look HERE

deltic08 25th December 2019 02:53

You are lucky Timpson's cut you a blank. They wouldn't touch my blank as it was not supplied by them yet they did not have any blanks.
Marinabrian was not the nearest but I happened to be driving back from Edinburgh and it is an easy call from the A1. Big Russ is your nearest and has also done work on my cars. Both are good guys and very knowledgeable on our cars so pay your money and take your choice.

cadcam 27th December 2019 11:46

contact Phil-T4

Thank you for all your replies, very impressed by speed of response. I looked at marinabrian's link and the nearest contact seems to be Phil-T4, Olney/MiltonKeynes. However trying to PM has been unsuccessful, no PMs accepted. Does anyone know if Phil-T4 is still active or is this just a temporary blip.

Many Thanks

Yorkshire GOC 27th December 2019 12:32

His inbox maybe full up.

Blink 28th December 2019 12:27

Is anyone/everyone using Valeo cases for new keys? In my experience the Valeo is the only case that grips the blade properly - all the others I've tried are too loose.

cadcam 30th December 2019 07:16

Glued (and pinned)

I have used both Valeo and alternative fob cases. All I have glued the blade in using epoxy* , both with and without a miniature pin, with no failure of the joint. One eventually had to be replaced because the button covers failed again after about 5 years.

* Make sure the pocket is well filled, without any air bubbles, before inserting the blade and removing excess. It may not look incredibly neat but could use some black paint. I add luminous and reflective tape on the fob , having had difficulties when one was dropped in to some leaves, so not too worried about looks.

Blink 30th December 2019 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadcam (Post 2783920)
I have used both Valeo and alternative fob cases. All I have glued the blade in using epoxy* , both with and without a miniature pin, with no failure of the joint. One eventually had to be replaced because the button covers failed again after about 5 years.

* Make sure the pocket is well filled, without any air bubbles, before inserting the blade and removing excess. It may not look incredibly neat but could use some black paint. I add luminous and reflective tape on the fob , having had difficulties when one was dropped in to some leaves, so not too worried about looks.

Thanks for the info Peter. Yes, gluing the blade in would probably do the job - shame the Valeo cases aren't available any more (I did find some new ones in China but they came with blades that had already been cut, so it meant changing the driver's door lock too!)