The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help, anyone? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319778)

NewDoc 25th June 2022 14:11

Help, anyone?

Hi all
Currently on the hard shoulder of the M1 waiting for recovery. Engine check light came on suddenly and then engine stopped and now won't start. Turns over good. Tacho works, oil and battery light on. Supposed to be sailing to France tomorrow. Can anyone help?
Dave

Yorkshire GOC 25th June 2022 14:36

How healthy is your battery -get the AA to test it should read 12.4 v or more at rest - could also be a faulty alternator.

Yorkshire GOC 25th June 2022 14:39

Also as a check engine light has triggered there should be a fault code saved on your ECM - again the AA man will check this - if you have your own code reader see what code it is throwing.

Rick-sta 25th June 2022 14:53

Going by your profile yours is a diesel?

If so, how much fuel do you have? Have you gone near or below 1/4 tank? If so and if yours is a earlier model with the in tank and under bonnet low pressure fuel pumps your in tank pump has failed.

If you have sufficient fuel, I would suspect the fuel regulator o-ring failure on the high pressure pump.

Get the AA to read the fault codes and report back, hopefully from there someone can help :)

macafee2 25th June 2022 15:18

Dave, are you going Home or on your way south?
If an electrical component has failed such as the in tank pump, I have a spare diesel as you know. I may be able to lend you parts to get you back on the road. Would the AA bring you here?

macafee2

Ducati750cc 25th June 2022 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2936899)
How healthy is your battery -get the AA to test it should read 12.4 v or more at rest - could also be a faulty alternator.

If it's turning over OK as the OP says it won't be the battery or alternator, although he states the alt warning light is on, it won't extinguish till the engine reaches sufficient speed for the alt to start charging, and it won't be cranking speed.

NewDoc 25th June 2022 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2936903)
Dave, are you going Home or on your way south?
If an electrical component has failed such as the in tank pump, I have a spare diesel as you know. I may be able to lend you parts to get you back on the road. Would the AA bring you here?

macafee2

Thank you so much Ian. Ironically as the AA pulled up I tried the engine and the so and so fired up. It was a bit laboured at first but soon picked up. We have driven to the services onbthe A43 for a while and going to risk going further. I think it is deffo a fuel issue but not either of the pumps but air getting in somewhere. Going to replace the fuel filter assembly when we get home and order a new fan from Jules.

NewDoc 25th June 2022 16:20

Thank you to everyone who answered my call for help. I am feeling the love right now.
:}:}

macafee2 25th June 2022 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewDoc (Post 2936911)
Thank you to everyone who answered my call for help. I am feeling the love right now.
:}:}

Perhaps the advantage of having an "old" car, there are enthusiasts and forums around that want to help others.
Glad you have it going.

AA form now shows the problem as CTB, a clear code invented by a young lad I used to work with, customer talking bol... :)

macafee2

bl52krz 25th June 2022 19:55

Might be the crankshaft sensor.