The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   how to remove Joint-rear suspension upper link ball - RHF100190 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302829)

Robti 12th February 2020 14:07

how to remove Joint-rear suspension upper link ball - RHF100190

Hi renewing the rear upper suspension arm and the above is seized in the trailing arm, so before i waste my time doing something stupid any hints on how to get it out of the arm ?
Thanks

macafee2 12th February 2020 14:12

heat the trailing arm then try to knock out but you hay need a press to remove and insert. It is a tight fit into the arm. I assume you have the bolt that goes through it removed?

macafee2

Robti 12th February 2020 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2792673)
heat the trailing arm then try to knock out but you hay need a press to remove and insert. It is a tight fit into the arm. I assume you have the bolt that goes through it removed?

macafee2

yes just finished cutting it off, was hitting it with a club hammer but no movement,so cut the bolt off, will wait till i get the rest of the trailing arm out then get the gas bottle onto it, what lovely weather to be working on the roadside lol

smudge.g 12th February 2020 16:17

It took me over a week of drilling, heating, bashing and cutting (oh and swearing) to get mine off after the bolt seized solid inside the bush. Hardest part was removing the outer case. New one was bashed in but either i damaged it or the trailing arm large bush in doing so as i've had a slight knocking ever since. (will check that out when it gets warmer)
Good luck with yours! :)

vitesse 12th February 2020 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudge.g (Post 2792700)
It took me over a week of drilling, heating, bashing and cutting (oh and swearing) to get mine off after the bolt seized solid inside the bush. Hardest part was removing the outer case. New one was bashed in but either i damaged it or the trailing arm large bush in doing so as i've had a slight knocking ever since. (will check that out when it gets warmer)
Good luck with yours! :)

Some bells ringing but not too many ... can’t find the thread but remember someone having a problem with parts and it concerned the upper arms. Something about XPart having remanufactured perhaps these upper link balls (Made in India) to suit the Made in India upper arms but the Indian ones were different despite the same part number. An eventual search turned up the same part number but Made in UK at the bottom of the parts bin - those were perfect.

Sorry can’t remember more, might not have been the same part but someone else might be able to shed more light on it and it could be the source of your knock.

Regards

marinabrian 12th February 2020 22:10

After you chop off the bolt, belt the middle out of the bush with a mash hammer, it will not resist I promise ;)

Of course you will have bought your new rose joint bush, if not.... phew you won't need to break the bank, as the identical part is fitted to E46 BMW rear suspension, so treat yourself.........LINK

Now comes the interesting part, without further dismantling of the rear suspension, buy yourself one of these.......LINK, I'm sure I don't need to elaborate on how this is used, or do I?

I've got a Vectra B rose joint tool, similar to THIS, for which I machined up a deeper mandrel to accommodate the longer 75 bush, however I would have probably bought the tool in the link if it had been available at the time.

So, no need to start dismantling any further, if you wanted to be creative, after bopping the middle out of the bush, you could hacksaw through the outer part left in the trailing arm, then simply drift it out, remove the boot from the new bush, then after cleaning out the hole in the trailing arm, pull it into place using threaded bar, and a suitable size socket, or even the old bush housing with a big washer.

It's up to you, with the tool I use, the whole operation will take you less than ten minutes, I'm sure improvisation may take longer, but what the hell :shrug:

Brian :D

macafee2 13th February 2020 07:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2792797)
After you chop off the bolt, belt the middle out of the bush with a mash hammer, it will not resist I promise ;)

Of course you will have bought your new rose joint bush, if not.... phew you won't need to break the bank, as the identical part is fitted to E46 BMW rear suspension, so treat yourself.........LINK

Now comes the interesting part, without further dismantling of the rear suspension, buy yourself one of these.......LINK, I'm sure I don't need to elaborate on how this is used, or do I?

I've got a Vectra B rose joint tool, similar to THIS, for which I machined up a deeper mandrel to accommodate the longer 75 bush, however I would have probably bought the tool in the link if it had been available at the time.

So, no need to start dismantling any further, if you wanted to be creative, after bopping the middle out of the bush, you could hacksaw through the outer part left in the trailing arm, then simply drift it out, remove the boot from the new bush, then after cleaning out the hole in the trailing arm, pull it into place using threaded bar, and a suitable size socket, or even the old bush housing with a big washer.

It's up to you, with the tool I use, the whole operation will take you less than ten minutes, I'm sure improvisation may take longer, but what the hell :shrug:

Brian :D

that's the way I did it, bashed the centre out then cut the outer housing but took the trailing arm to a garage to have new bush inserted

macafee2

Robti 16th February 2020 09:03

Well first dry weather for a while so popped out and 15 minutes later and the arm is out and the rose bush also, got the new one in the freezer and off to look for some screwed rod or failing that, order the one Brian linked to earlier, didn’t want to order anything till I had everything off

bl52krz 16th February 2020 11:00

Hi Brian. Are you sure that the link to the part in post 6 is compatible with all the Rover and MG cars? The compatibility chart on the site says it is not!

BigRuss 16th February 2020 13:53

The eBay compatability guides are notoriously incorrect, the bush and the tool are correct for our cars ;)

The other method of removing the centre of the bush then cutting through the outer, then pulling the new one in with a couple of suitably sized sockets and a length of threaded bar works just as well ;)
Russ