The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Advice sought, considering a diesel auto (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=272612)

bigblue75 29th August 2017 19:28

Advice sought, considering a diesel auto

As above really, have read up on the forum regarding looking at cars for sale and not a complete muppet with a spanner. Looking for advice on checking the box works well and any signs to look for that could point to problems.

Also any opinions on remapping via a t4 guru and how best to drive an auto 75 would be appreciated as my experience of autos is limited to a few drives in a 3.2 jag a good time ago.

Thanks in advance.

doopydug 7th September 2017 18:42

I will be selling mine soon, if you wish to check it out - getting an electric Nissan Leaf instead

You are welcome to test drive her....

LeRich 7th September 2017 19:08

The auto box is generally reliable. I've previously owned a ZT CDTi manual and auto, and if I were buying again I'd choose the auto.

It should change gear smoothly and quietly, no thumps, no bangs. A fluid change is beneficial on higher mileage boxes but is often neglected or done incorrectly. Solenoid relays (that affect gear changes) can fail but as these are mounted externally, changing them shouldn't be too tricky.

The 160 remap is hugely popular and should offer improvements to performance and MPG. I believe there is a map specifically for the auto to achieve this.

SD1too 7th September 2017 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue75 (Post 2535400)
Looking for advice on checking the box works well ...

It does Joe, you need have no worries there. There are only two known problems and neither affects large numbers of cars but if you're unlucky rest assured that both can be repaired with the transmission in situ.

Go for it!

Simon

Mickyboy 7th September 2017 19:24

And somebody who has both a manual and an auto, both 160 remapped, and also somebody who through their trading has driven more 75's & ZT's than I can remember,I would say it's simple the auto is the choice chariot of the two 👍
Mick

DMGRS 8th September 2017 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydug (Post 2538416)
I will be selling mine soon, if you wish to check it out - getting an electric Nissan Leaf instead

You are welcome to test drive her....

How dare you :D

marinabrian 8th September 2017 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2538436)
It does Joe, you need have no worries there. There are only two known problems and neither affects large numbers of cars but if you're unlucky rest assured that both can be repaired with the transmission in situ.

Go for it!

Simon

Well having had to change a clutch pack in two jatco boxes now, leads me to believe that the most important thing to do is check if the ATF has been changed, and by whom, and with what :duh::getmecoat:

Brian :D

Mickyboy 8th September 2017 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2538699)
Well having had to change a clutch pack in two jatco boxes now, leads me to believe that the most important thing to do is check if the ATF has been changed, and by whom, and with what :duh::getmecoat:

Brian :D

Yeah I noticed a freelander that needed a clutch pack a while back, harsh changes causing big slipping, interestingly jaguar actually admitted there was a problem and issued recalls

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...eplacement.pdf

Mick

bigblue75 8th September 2017 19:25

Thanks for the replies

Looked at one to use as a benchmark and the gear change was flawless- imperceptible almost... the replacement reconditioned auto box had less than 25000 miles on it. The rest of the car was a little unloved of late although it had been owned by an enthusiast a couple of owners back.
As my car is due an MOT soon I have put plans on hold pending the outcome of that... Should be better placed to look with a view to buying by next weekend.

SD1too 9th September 2017 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2538699)
Well having had to change a clutch pack in two jatco boxes now ...

Which "clutch pack" would that be Brian? If you are referring to the cracked reverse piston then that is covered by my earlier reply to Joe. If you are referring to anything else then I would suggest that the JATCO's record shows that the cause is likely to be driver abuse and/or incompetent maintenance rather than an intrinsic fault with the transmission.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickyboy (Post 2538827)
...interestingly jaguar actually admitted there was a problem and issued recalls ..

That is the known reverse piston fault Mick which is rare, repairable and as confirmed by your helpful link, affects only a very small number of transmissions.

Let's not be unduly alarmist gents.

Simon