The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bonnet Pull its killing me (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=264923)

scorpio 4th April 2017 12:07

Bonnet Pull its killing me

I have got the bonnet open and have done ALL the modifications to the junction box and cables, they are all moving freely.

I cleaned and greased the bonnet catches and loosened them a little and they are working fine, if I leave the double cables hanging out the secret place and close the bonnet i can pull both cables and it opens.

When I rebuild the junction box and pull the cable in the car it all moves correctly as soon as I shut the bonnet it all stops working, I think I have done everything correctly, non of the cables are stretched or broken and everything moves freely and is greased up. Help please what am i doing wrong :duh::duh::duh: or what have i missed:shrug::shrug:

scorpio 5th April 2017 01:46

Any ideas please.

Lee T 5th April 2017 02:32

Hi I read this post earlier and could only think it sounds like your single cable to the release handle is stretched, yet you say not and your there not me. But as all works well using the twin cables via the secret place it really only leaves the single cable as the problem unless the handle itself has an issue? I'd drop the cover and have a look if you haven't already. Hope you sort it mate. Lee.

kc13661 5th April 2017 05:40

I would tend to agree, the issue does not seem to be in the engine bay area. Unless you have another cable for comparison, how can you be certain it is not stretched?

trebor 5th April 2017 10:10

You seem to be suggesting that all works fine until you close the Bonnett, do you know for sure that when you pull the inside lever with the Bonnett open that the Bonnett catches are retracting if not get someone else to pull the lever whilst you look and you can also look to check that when the inside lever is pulled the single cable is pulling the double cables at the junction box.
Presumably you are opening the Bonnett in the meantime via this secret place you are referring to so are you stretching the cables with continually doing this and are the cables therefore routed correctly with the Bonnett shut ?
You say you have loosened the catches are you sure they are not floating about too much ?

If you don't get it sorted there is a nano meet in May and you are local so happy to look at it then for you if you wish or if you are going to Pride of Longbridge next week plenty of advice will be there for you.

Incidentally I can no longer understand all the cloak and dagger references about getting a stuck Bonnett open, the information is out there on the www and with our cars values having hit rock bottom are there really many people going round opening our bonnets the secret way , if so what are they stealing, a decent battery maybe ?

jackatesme 5th April 2017 10:24

You are not on your own. I had same trouble when i done 180deg mod that is recommended, After several attempts including going back to original set up i damaged the junction box. Bought a replacement box from Rimmers,problem cured. :shrug:

COLVERT 5th April 2017 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor (Post 2471989)
You seem to be suggesting that all works fine until you close the Bonnett, do you know for sure that when you pull the inside lever with the Bonnett open that the Bonnett catches are retracting if not get someone else to pull the lever whilst you look and you can also look to check that when the inside lever is pulled the single cable is pulling the double cables at the junction box.
Presumably you are opening the Bonnett in the meantime via this secret place you are referring to so are you stretching the cables with continually doing this and are the cables therefore routed correctly with the Bonnett shut ?
You say you have loosened the catches are you sure they are not floating about too much ?

If you don't get it sorted there is a nano meet in May and you are local so happy to look at it then for you if you wish or if you are going to Pride of Longbridge next week plenty of advice will be there for you.

Incidentally I can no longer understand all the cloak and dagger references about getting a stuck Bonnett open, the information is out there on the www and with our cars values having hit rock bottom are there really many people going round opening our bonnets the secret way , if so what are they stealing, a decent battery maybe ?

Probably the battery as you say.--It has almost the value of the car nowadays.----:eek::eek::eek:

Avulon 5th April 2017 11:03

Make sure the bonnet catches align properly and aren't over tightened...

BigRuss 5th April 2017 22:58

Had one recently where the cables wouldn't open the bonnet with the lever had to resort to pulling the cables. The bonnet had twisted slightly causing the pins to stick in the catches. ;) Probably caused by the bonnet being open when it was windy.
Problem was solved by gently twistimng the bonnet slightly in the other direction ;)

Russ

scorpio 10th April 2017 16:38

well still no luck, I have decided to replace the catches and see if that helps.