The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stuck Fuel Filter (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295079)

Rev Jules 19th April 2019 10:20

Stuck Fuel Filter

I decided to take out the fuel filter so I could add the Forte injector fluid to it and leave for a couple of days for it to soak through, it is stuck absolutely tight cant budge it no matter what, any suggestions of how to get it off.

Ta!

Rev

EdgarDonaldBalls 19th April 2019 20:54

Is it a diesel?

To remove mine, I had to leave it on the car but loosen the bracket a bit, move it up slightly and tighten it up again then twist the top part off (no idea what the part that the fuel lines attach to it called) as it's the only way I could grip it tight enough.

I could possibly have done it just by removing the fuel lines and twisting it off but moving it up made it easier to grip, it was still very difficult to remove though.

There was no way it would come off when removed from the car first.

trikey 19th April 2019 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls (Post 2728124)
Is it a diesel?

To remove mine, I had to leave it on the car but loosen the bracket a bit, move it up slightly and tighten it up again then twist the top part off (no idea what the part that the fuel lines attach to it called) as it's the only way I could grip it tight enough.

I could possibly have done it just by removing the fuel lines and twisting it off but moving it up made it easier to grip, it was still very difficult to remove though.

:iagree:This is the method I use when they are tight.

Rev Jules 19th April 2019 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2728126)
:iagree:This is the method I use when they are tight.

Just concerned by putting to much pressure on the top bit might snap of the fuel connections.

Rev

bl52krz 19th April 2019 22:21

Jules. These are usually quite tight. I usually grip mine with a dry piece of rag with both hands after releasing the electrical and fuel connections, Make sure the clip is tight that holds the filter.

Mike Trident 20th April 2019 13:15

Agreed, you have to twist the plastic bit as you can't get a good enough grip on the filter.

Rev Jules 20th April 2019 13:32

euro car parts

Ordered a new filter from them delivered this morning low and behold wrong type, why is life so bleddy difficult ????

Rev

Rev Jules 20th April 2019 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2728225)
Agreed, you have to twist the plastic bit as you can't get a good enough grip on the filter.

So if it is so tight and I happen to break a piece off, how expensive are they to renew.

Rev

clf 20th April 2019 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls (Post 2728124)
Is it a diesel?

I tried this method first time I did mine. I couldnt get it tight enough and worried overtightening and shearing the bolt (I didnt have piece of rubber to use for grip).

Ended up using a G gramp on the top and rubber gloves. It was after releasing it, I realised I could have tried rubber gloves around the clamp for the grip lol :duh::duh:)

bl52krz 20th April 2019 16:37

Fuel filters do not need to be ‘screwed up’ tight, like a nut on a bolt. They only need to be tightened enough to stop them leaking. Just tighten it up until it feels as though it is tight enough, and then give it a little more . I guarantee it will not leak.Jules, you will not break it unless you do not know your own strength.