The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Disconnecting the battery ??? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=282363)

saxo1980 20th April 2018 22:57

Disconnecting the battery ???

Hi all i just wanted to no what people think about disconnecting the battery, will it
Actually Do Anything?

When i look at posts from people say do the above etc but what dose it actually do to the car as the BCU would not reset the ECU will not reset so why do ppl say do it ?:duh: only an t4 will re set anything so its got me beat why people say it strange one i guess or is it me been thick as normal

i just love to no why people say this cos i scratch my head at times over it

cos if it reset the ecu then the car would not start with out an t4 >:shrug::shrug:

marinabrian 20th April 2018 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxo1980 (Post 2621795)
Hi all i just wanted to no what people think about disconnecting the battery, will it
Actually Do Anything?

When i look at posts from people say do the above etc but what dose it actually do to the car as the BCU would not reset the ECU will not reset so why do ppl say do it ?:duh: only an t4 will re set anything so its got me beat why people say it strange one i guess or is it me been thick as normal

i just love to no why people say this cos i scratch my head at times over it

cos if it reset the ecu then the car would not start with out an t4 >:shrug::shrug:

The answer is naff all ;)

It's akin to "have you tried switching it off and on again"

The only two real exceptions are if a message centre IPK mileage display remains lit with the key removed, and to restart the automatic transmission ECU.

Brian :D

saxo1980 20th April 2018 23:33

Thanks so i guess am rite Only an t4 will reset anything really then so it like p....... in the wind when someone says take your bty off for 30 mins

macafee2 21st April 2018 07:20

I think there are different ways to interpret sao1980's question.
my reply would be "does the radio code get lost and need re-entering?. When working in the vicinity of airbags such as replacing steering wheel, aftyr the batter has been disconnected for 30 or so minutes does it make it safer due to no risk or reduced risk of air bag deployment?"

Brian's answer is quite different to mine

this is the question asked Hi all i just wanted to no what people think about disconnecting the battery, will it
Actually Do Anything?

macafee2

bl52krz 21st April 2018 15:15

I am surprised at Brian. Of course it does something. It cuts all electric from your electrics so they don’t work.:duh::shrug::bowdown::getmecoat:

lady zed 21st April 2018 15:37

It stops your clock. Then you can never find a pen for ages to reset it. In my Wedgwood I also have to key in the radio code again too. Minor irritations that are worth it if the car will be sitting for a while.

75driver 21st April 2018 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady zed (Post 2622022)
It stops your clock. Then you can never find a pen for ages to reset it. In my Wedgwood I also have to key in the radio code again too. Minor irritations that are worth it if the car will be sitting for a while.

Anna, you can follow procedures here, if you don’t want to have to enter your code again.
How To Disable Your Radio Security Code
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t
I don’t think anyone is going to want to steal my radio anymore...😬

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HarryM1BYT 21st April 2018 16:18

A battery disconnect has been known to sometimes fix certain odd issues. Like your PC can become confused, some ECU's on the car have been known to become confused. Cycling the power can restore them back to normal operation.

cbr1100xx 21st April 2018 16:20

Worked for me , disconnected the battery on my ford yesterday and it cleared the engine light on the dash , so must do something:shrug:

Andy_with_a_screwdriver 21st April 2018 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr1100xx (Post 2622038)
Worked for me , disconnected the battery on my ford yesterday and it cleared the engine light on the dash , so must do something:shrug:

It does exactly the same on my Vauxhall, engine light on, battery off, battery back on, engine light cleared. :}