The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Vibrations coming up Steering Column on CDTi (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=225102)

Edward Huggins 2nd September 2015 19:47

Vibrations coming up Steering Column on CDTi

Help! I have just bought a 55 plate CDTi and find a very pronounced vibration coming up the steering column when the car is stationary and with the engine idling.

It varies in intensity at different steering wheel positions. At its worst, it also makes a quite audible creaking/resonant sound - like metal to metal contact.

I realise that the CDTi will not run as smooth as my previous V6, but this really feels very "agricultural". This is my very first diesel vehicle.

I have been advised that the non-return valve in the steering rack may be faulty and interferring with the hydraulic fluid flow.

Has anyone any experience of this? Any guidance will be most welcome. ED

Dorset Bob 2nd September 2015 20:03

I had an early diesel and didn't notice any problems, but they were fitted with dampers like this

They stopped fitting them under the cost-cutting "Project Drive" programme. :confused:

Maybe, it might be worth trying to source one. :shrug:

wuzerk 2nd September 2015 21:21

vibes

Sounds as though you need to carefully check the top drivers side engine
mount (The Hydramount). it is filled with glycol so check for leakage or cracking of the rubber. In normal use the rubber gradually hardens so that it is no longer able to absorb the normal vibrations so that they are transmitted
through the seats and steering wheel etc.

ProfDave 2nd September 2015 21:34

and the lower engine mount; not had a car recently that has not needed it changing

klarzy 2nd September 2015 21:37

if you are getting metallic noises from the steering you should also replace the strut top bearings...

Edward Huggins 3rd September 2015 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com (Post 2087581)
if you are getting metallic noises from the steering you should also replace the strut top bearings...

Thank you all for your various mesages and suggestions. I'll look into these. ED

Edward Huggins 3rd September 2015 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2087467)
I had an early diesel and didn't notice any problems, but they were fitted with dampers like this

They stopped fitting them under the cost-cutting "Project Drive" programme. :confused:

Maybe, it might be worth trying to source one. :shrug:

Many thanks for this. I guess as mine is a 2005 build, this steering vibration damper (part number QDT100040) will not be fitted. Would you, or others, by any chance know if this can readily be retro-fitted?

lightningmark 3rd September 2015 15:00

Very easily retrofitted by removal of steering wheel airbag. Not easily obtained but I would wager once fitted it would not solve your vibration problem.
Your problem lies elsewhere

tourer 3rd September 2015 17:53

I have the same problem of vibration up the steering wheel, too. Been like it 10 years,now.
Replaced the hydramount acorn earlier this year, alas, to no avail.
There is play in the lower steering column bush and will be replacing the steering column when I get around to it, hopefully soon. I'll be following Rich's excellent how-to.

Thinking about Rich.................did we miss his 50th birthday a couple of weeks ago??:shrug:

lightningmark 3rd September 2015 18:31

He's at least 50 so maybe we did lol