The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Chernobyl - Sky Atlantic (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295995)

topman 23rd May 2019 20:10

Chernobyl - Sky Atlantic

Anyone been watching this ? Just watched the latest episode, excellent so far. Some of the scenes where they spell it out to the leaders is very sobering. Very well filmed and a very eastern block feel as it's all so dulled down. Lots of soviet era vehicles as well to look at.

Darcydog 23rd May 2019 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by topman (Post 2735621)
Anyone been watching this ? Just watched the latest episode, excellent so far. Some of the scenes where they spell it out to the leaders is very sobering. Very well filmed and a very eastern block feel as it's all so dulled down. Lots of soviet era vehicles as well to look at.

We have recorded it. SWMBO watched the first and second then stopped as she realised I would really like it.

Just at the moment tho’ I am so busy I have not found the time to watch it.

She did tell me about the female Physicist who reported to a manager that had previously run a Soviet shoe factory :shrug:

Teflon 23rd May 2019 20:55

A brilliant series so far. Thoroughly enjoying it.

topman 23rd May 2019 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2735628)
We have recorded it. SWMBO watched the first and second then stopped as she realised I would really like it.

Just at the moment tho’ I am so busy I have not found the time to watch it.

She did tell me about the female Physicist who reported to a manager that had previously run a Soviet shoe factory :shrug:

You won't be disappointed.

Yeah it's a small part to set the scene of its a case of who you know not what you know.

victorgte 23rd May 2019 22:34

My wife had cancer in the late nineties because of Chernobyl. It’s a miracle she survived. Having visited the old USSR a few times to see family it was and remains a place of total corruption at the cost of health and safety. It’s one thing having a nuclear capability but are you fit enough to have it and run it safely?

Darcydog 24th May 2019 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorgte (Post 2735655)
My wife had cancer in the late nineties because of Chernobyl. It’s a miracle she survived. Having visited the old USSR a few times to see family it was and remains a place of total corruption at the cost of health and safety. It’s one thing having a nuclear capability but are you fit enough to have it and run it safely?

Hmmm - I very much agree. Apologies for mentioning this given your specific circumstances - but reading some of the reports from US Astronauts about the cavalier attitude to safety they experienced with their Russian “colleagues” made me wonder how the **** they haven’t killed more people.

Dawn 25th May 2019 12:59

I haven't seen this weeks yet, but after watching the others it actually makes you wonder what we are doing to this very wonderful world we live in. I found it actually scary to watch and think it could happen again. :( Excellent show, though.

Mr bountyfull 25th May 2019 19:41

Having worked in the Nuclear Sector as a classified worker and having the experience of a criticality (False alarm luckily) I have found it quite unnerving!

Darcydog 26th May 2019 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull (Post 2736023)
Having worked in the Nuclear Sector as a classified worker and having the experience of a criticality (False alarm luckily) I have found it quite unnerving!

There is a lot I find unnerving (a significant and sobering pun here) about a country that releases a nerve agent onto the streets of Salisbury to kill someone (a city I travel to several times every week).

Their operation was so botched, amateurish and arrogant that innocent people were killed or suffered life changing injuries.

And whilst this was the first use of the nerve agent Novochok it is certainly NOT the first time Russia has acted in this way.

coolcat 27th May 2019 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2736113)
There is a lot I find unnerving (a significant and sobering pun here) about a country that releases a nerve agent onto the streets of Salisbury to kill someone (a city I travel to several times every week).

Their operation was so botched, amateurish and arrogant that innocent people were killed or suffered life changing injuries.

And whilst this was the first use of the nerve agent Novochok it is certainly NOT the first time Russia has acted in this way.

Agreed...........Although I'm pretty sure Great Britain and her allies have carried out many clandestine operations of their own that we just don't get to hear about. Possibly because they carried them out with a little bit more panache and not leaving any room for accountabilty;)

I'm not so sure about our own complacency regarding Nuclear safe practices either:eek:

P.s. Great series and brings back scary memories of the event.