The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   75 cdti. High pressure pump (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291106)

polinsteve 18th December 2018 14:34

75 cdti. High pressure pump

Hi, just a quicky. My pump is leaking, especially when cold. I have access to a used pump and just need to know if it is a case of just bringing in, or timing like the olden days.

Thanks

Lee T 18th December 2018 14:49

Straight swap no timing to worry about. Reconditioning the pumps is an easy and cheap job to do with your old 1 then you have a spare. good luck. Lee

marinabrian 18th December 2018 15:49

You will need a locking tool like THIS otherwise your timing chain falls off :xmas-smiley-008:

Other than that, it's all straight forward, and you can recondition your old pump with a set of THESE

Brian :D

polinsteve 18th December 2018 17:50

Good advice

Thanks for the locking tool tip, that has saved bad language and thrown tools. Last injector pump I changed was a 1976 AEC 760 coach. Pump timing was quite easy, but the crank/cam timing was very tricky.

marinabrian 18th December 2018 18:05

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by polinsteve (Post 2695451)
Thanks for the locking tool tip, that has saved bad language and thrown tools. Last injector pump I changed was a 1976 AEC 760 coach. Pump timing was quite easy, but the crank/cam timing was very tricky.

It's very straightforward Steve, there is no timing to worry about, you will need a 17mm Allen key (see short M10 bolt with a couple of nuts locked together) to remove the blanking plug on the timing case, a 21mm (iirc) socket to remove the nut securing the timing gear to the end of the pump shaft.

Take a look at the attached PDF ;)

Brian :smiley:

T16 20th December 2018 01:34

Yes, this can ONLY really be done with the correct tool for the chain.

The genuine Bosch kits are freely available, I think I used to get mine from Breedon Gell Diesels.

I think only about £20 odd for the full kit.

Find somewhere very clean to do it, and you should not have any problems.

Whenever Ive done mine, I have always had an ice-cream tub of diesel to "wash" bits in before reassembling to give that final assurance there is no dust/particles on any of the bits.

It really is suprisingly simple to do. I would suggest doing it sooner rather than later, as in the winter, they can REALLY start to let go quickly, especially if you are seeing actual dripping down the engine and on to the floor.

It really is one of those bargain priced jobs, that costs a tiny fraction of a "reconditioned" pump, and 2) if done right, will likely outlast the rest of the car!

The head bolts can be VERY tight, and the pump is hard to hold unless you clamp it in a vice. The bolts are not particularly hard, so be as careful as you can when undoing them that you dont damage the heads, as the heads are very shallow and requires you to keep the torx as perpendicular as possible when undoing.