The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine suddenly cuts off (2.0 CDTi) (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299860)

DKR 10th October 2019 18:15

Engine suddenly cuts off (2.0 CDTi)

Hi,

Today, all of the sudden, my engine shut down while driving just a few km/h. No sounds or strange observations prior to...

I managed to pull over, and I restared the engine - only to see it shut off again after a few seconds.
Started again - several times - higher RPM only helped for an extra few seconds; then shut off... Always after just a few seconds
(at just 1 time it didnt click/start but thats a loner...)

I didnt have time to investigate much, but going back the the car tomorrow

I've been searching the forum - would this error suggests that I have a look at the plenums, the diesel pump/control, or do anyone have another pointer I could follow when I get there?
I had no other errors, and tank is more than half full.

Rover 75 2.0 CDTi 2005

Thanks for any advice :}

Yorkshire GOC 10th October 2019 18:23

If your engine starts tomorrow when cold i would look at the possibility of a failing camshaft sensor - only fails when the engine is hot - so if she starts from cold tomorrow i would look at replacing/checking the sensor wiring. :}

DKR 10th October 2019 18:33

Thanks, Yorkshire for quick reply :)

Engine wasn't hot though - been driving 3-4 minutes max. after having left work :/

Yorkshire GOC 10th October 2019 18:45

Afraid that maybe enough - lets see if she starts cold - that will be a good indicator - :shrug:

DKR 10th October 2019 19:39

Allright, almost hope it's "just" that, lol - I'll let you know.
Thanks,

trikey 10th October 2019 19:56

Try an injector leakback test.

DKR 10th October 2019 20:16

Hi trikey,

Thanks - just found an instruction on that...
I'll see if I can find a piece of hose somewhere.
(we can't really do repairs in public streets, but since this is a test, I may try it :) )

Mike Noc 10th October 2019 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKR (Post 2767815)
Thanks, Yorkshire for quick reply :)

Engine wasn't hot though - been driving 3-4 minutes max. after having left work :/

Forget the cam sensor if the engine is cutting out - once the ECM references the cam position when cranking it ignores the cam sensor until the next attempt to start. ;)

DKR 11th October 2019 14:39

Thank all for your suggestions,

When I returned today, it started @first try - drove home without any issues...

SO:

@Mike:
Do you think it could *not* be the sensor or the wiring?
(I was just about to order a new sensor before I saw your post)

@Yorkshire:
Do you still (after Mike's input) think cam shaft sensor and/or wiring could be the culprit?

@trikey:
I saw a tut on this yesterday somewhere on the net - 4" tubes, not starting the engine (disconnect the cam shaft sensor connector, I think it was, to prevent the engine from starting), but just cranking it for about 10 secs.
However, I consulted an auto workshop today, they said that would not be sufficient - I should use bottles, *and* start the engine...
Do you have any thought on that?

Thanks again from a RoverLoving, but not AutoTech mind ;)

Lee T 11th October 2019 15:20

Injectors can be tested by removing leakback pipe and T pieces from injectors, place pipe in a bottle, disconnect injector electrical plugs and crank the engine for 10 to 15 seconds, any injector with more than a slight dribble of fuel around the T piece hole will be out of spec. If all injectors are fine then you may have a leaking high pressure fuel pump. A member local to me had the same symptoms and a new seal kit solved the problem.