The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Looks like another one bites the dust (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=294325)

humphshumphs 26th March 2019 08:52

Looks like another one bites the dust

On my way to work this morning, and rough sounding noises, no warning lights and then cut out.

Wouldn't restart or do anything, so called the breakdown, and when they came out, put a booster pack on and still wouldn't go. Sounded like something broke and won't let it start.

She managed to get to 250,416miles, so can't complain. But I know she probably wont do any more under my ownership I'm afraid.

planenut 26th March 2019 09:51

Did the breakdown guy come up with any idea? Did they try to start it before they looked for anything broken?

humphshumphs 26th March 2019 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2722146)
Did the breakdown guy come up with any idea? Did they try to start it before they looked for anything broken?

Yup, put a booster pack on as had been sitting with hazzards on for quite a while, and it wouldn't turn over, just sounded metal to metal to be honest.

planenut 26th March 2019 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by humphshumphs (Post 2722149)
Yup, put a booster pack on as had been sitting with hazzards on for quite a while, and it wouldn't turn over, just sounded metal to metal to be honest.

Sadly, that can create more problems.

Good luck

trikey 26th March 2019 12:50

Do you want me to take a look?

humphshumphs 26th March 2019 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2722171)
Do you want me to take a look?

It would be good if you could. Sir, you are a gentleman :bowdown:

Mark190 27th March 2019 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by humphshumphs (Post 2722138)
On my way to work this morning, and rough sounding noises, no warning lights and then cut out.

Wouldn't restart or do anything, so called the breakdown, and when they came out, put a booster pack on and still wouldn't go. Sounded like something broke and won't let it start.

She managed to get to 250,416miles, so can't complain. But I know she probably wont do any more under my ownership I'm afraid.

That's exactly what my V6190 did when the Idler Pulley collapsed. A very gracious cut out, no big bang or anything but ended up with a total bill of £1600!

trikey 27th March 2019 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark190 (Post 2722550)
That's exactly what my V6190 did when the Idler Pulley collapsed. A very gracious cut out, no big bang or anything but ended up with a total bill of £1600!

No collapsed pulleys on this one, the engine cant be turned over by hand, im going to remove the starter at the weekend and see if that's the issue, or something more sinister.

Mark190 27th March 2019 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2722552)
No collapsed pulleys on this one, the engine cant be turned over by hand, im going to remove the starter at the weekend and see if that's the issue, or something more sinister.

Its a horrible feeling when something like that happens, you always fear the worst. Sat there at the side of the road waiting for recovery you just know that everybody driving past is just thinking theres another MG Rover broke down!

Comfortably Numb 27th March 2019 20:24

Trikey, why would a duff starter motor cause the engine to cut out? Unless it has had a timing gear refurb, I'm guessing timing chain or associated sprockets/idlers/shafts. Wife has just bought a later Merc 350SLK. The earlier ones were lucky to get past 50k miles without needing new balancer shaft sprocket or others (made of metal cheese!) If they didn't catch it in time, it could be a £2,500 strip down repair! Quality German engineering, eh!