The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The future of car insurance. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318763)

Lancpudn 19th April 2022 08:38

The future of car insurance.

Is this the future of car insurance? I've been reading Tesla has launched it's own car insurance & started to use real time data to insure their cars by the month, It has a scoring system to determine whether you are a safe driver or bad driver but unlike the insurance company "black spy box" the new breed of electric cars have so many more parameters that log the drivers actions.

With automatic emergency braking systems it only needs a pedestrian or cyclist to dart out in front of the car which the radar registers as a 'Forward Collision Warning' & if you swerved to avoid them that would be deemed as aggressive driving , Likewise travelling too close to the car in front or heavy braking. That would mess up your monthly safety score upping your premium for that particular month. I wonder how long it will be before the laws are changed & the car will issue you with a Penalty Charge Notice for breaking driving laws :eek: https://electrek.co/2022/04/18/tesla-la ... qus_thread

wraymond 19th April 2022 08:56

It's another move towards micro-management. Before long the huge annual contract payments will be astronomic so the obvious alternative is a monthly (1 month in arrear) charge based on real time risk. The electric system obviously tells 'base' that a different driver is in charge, enabling Insurers to terminate if necessary. The implications are scary.

MSS 19th April 2022 09:31

I think this is the future of insurance. Given that insurance premium should be as close a match to a driver's risk profile as possible, I cannot say that the direction of travel is unwelcome.

AndyN01 19th April 2022 10:41

IMHO micro management of anything is an extremely poor way to do something effectively.

Especially if there are many. many variables that require assessment and consideration.

Life isn't a game based on questionable absolute parameters.

QED. :}

another_clean_sheet 19th April 2022 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyN01 (Post 2929067)
IMHO micro management of anything is an extremely poor way to do something effectively.

Especially if there are many. many variables that require assessment and consideration.

Perhaps it is better than your car, your age and where you live?

COLVERT 19th April 2022 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSS (Post 2929064)
I think this is the future of insurance. Given that insurance premium should be as close a match to a driver's risk profile as possible, I cannot say that the direction of travel is unwelcome.

Match RISK PROFILE ??

Great. My premium might then be ZERO as I've never had an accident in 69 years using a motorised vehicle on the public roads.---:party:

MSS 19th April 2022 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2929082)
Match RISK PROFILE ??

Great. My premium might then be ZERO as I've never had an accident in 69 years using a motorised vehicle on the public roads.---:party:

I suspect you have seen many accidents? :D

Lancpudn 19th April 2022 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyN01 (Post 2929067)

Tesla have had this system out on Beta for a few years getting baseline data from all manner of driving styles & their FSD "Full self Driving" system but lots of drivers on that scheme are complaining that they're being given bad scores because of the way roads are marked out.

There's a local junction in town I use regular which turns really sharp right just yards before the halt sign. There is an extended pavement on the lefthand side that follows the road round to the junction where someone parks their car there.
The AEB radar on my MG ZS EV picks it up as I'm braking or regenerating at normal speed up to the junction but swiftly applies the AEB as the radar system thinks I'm going to rear end the parked car because of the line of sight angle. My missus wont use that junction because of it as the warning beeps & sound of the AEB pump it makes is scary to her :eek:

macafee2 19th April 2022 13:27

Do Avia have an App for a mobile phone to monitor driving?

macafee2

wraymond 19th April 2022 18:06

Micro management has only one ultimate purpose. That is to provide a means of increasing profitability by attention to every aspect of risk and to maximise returns.

If you can at the same time gather evidence of poor driving (in this case) to support your rising premiums you have all you need to persuade all competitors that it's a good idea. So, the market moves ever upwards.