The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   75 KV6 Auto - Downhill Issue (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=304378)

martynt87 20th April 2020 14:59

75 KV6 Auto - Downhill Issue

Hello All,

Hope everyone is coping okay with these weird times.

Bit of a weird one, and was wondering if anyone had experienced similar.

My 2003 Tourer 2.5 Auto (62K miles) does a strange thing when its cold. Once its warmed up, the issue stops.

I live at the top of a reasonably steep hill, when I first start the car and head downhill, at around 30mph, the gearbox will change down, to aid engine braking - which I would expect. However, there is a faint feeling of surging as the rpm's waft between circa 1400-2000 up and down up and down. If I apply the throttle, it stops, and if I brake to a stop it stops.

It only seems to be happening when its cold, and the rest of the driving experience is fine.

My initial thoughts are that I should book it in for a gearbox oil drain and refill, but just wondered if I'm missing anything.

Stay Safe,

Martyn

trikey 20th April 2020 15:05

Sounds like a throttle body rebuild is in order, when it’s cold and you rev up, do the revs ‘hang around’ a little before dropping back down to tickover?

Brunty 20th April 2020 15:09

I too live at the top of a steep hill, my v6 auto always does the same when it's cold. Don't believe you have a problem.

DMGRS 20th April 2020 23:19

If you haven't evidence that it's ever been done, I'd change the gearbox fluid - you'd be amazed how much better it'll feel overall.

Carlube ATF-U is cheap enough and a good replacement fluid for our cars.

Brunty 21st April 2020 05:56

Autobox fluid changed, then back in 1 week later after running a few hundred miles to do it again, does make a remarkable difference, but not going downhill from cold. Once engine is up to temperature I do not get the same response.

martynt87 23rd April 2020 13:30

Thanks for the info all.

I haven't got any evidence of it being done, so will get it booked in for that. The RPM's don't seem to hang around after a throttle blip, the engine runs very well. I'll start with a fluid change and see if there is any difference / requirement for further investigation.

Stay Safe everyone.

thanos.m 23rd April 2020 21:10

I've been having the same issue and am certain it hasn't got to with gearbox as I replaced the 2,4 brake duty (due to failure) solenoid and changed fluid but nothing changed with this issue the were no codes on the car as well but what I did find out was that it happened only when I filling up at particular petrol station so in my last fill up I avoided that petrol station and threw in an injectior cleaner just for good measure and the issue hasn't come back

roverbarmy 23rd April 2020 21:12

Never had that problem but we live in Norfolk and there are no hills!:getmecoat: