The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Overheating 1.8 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309715)

e30325itourer 7th December 2020 15:20

Overheating 1.8

Hi folks, need advise on what to check for hgf on these engines. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

MacRob 7th December 2020 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30325itourer (Post 2852602)
Hi folks, need advise on what to check for hgf on these engines. Any help greatly appreciated.

Are you going by the gauge or is the engine kicking out steam?

e30325itourer 7th December 2020 15:26

Gauge and on board diagnostics

SD1too 7th December 2020 15:35

Thomas,

Is the radiator fan running when you do the demist test? Is this a 75/ZT you're asking about as you don't have a 1.8 in your profile?

Simon

T-Cut 7th December 2020 15:38

Overheating is a symptom of one or two problems, including head gasket failure, so you need to establish if there are other confirmatory signs.

Is the overheating enough to pop the red warnng light or is the temperature gauge just a little higher than the 'normal' point? Have you checked the running temperature using the diagnstic routine?

Have you recently had to keep topping up the cooling system? In other words, is coolant loss also a new symptom?

A classic iHGF indicator is over-pressurisation of the cooling system. Has any coolant been lost by ejection from the pressure cap? Have you noticed anything unusual apart from the overheating?

Is there any residual pressure when the coolIng system is stone cold? Is there a significant hiss when the pressure cap's slackened off?
Is there any sign of oil contamination in the header tank?
There are no doubt other signs and symptoms to look for but you get the idea.

So a bit of investigation may allow a diagnosis. You could just have a coolant leak, which inevitably leads to overheating. The 1.8 engine has well reported leaky spots, maily associated with the rubber hoses, their clips and what they're attached to. All need a look-over.

TC (one finger typist)

MacRob 7th December 2020 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30325itourer (Post 2852604)

It could be a simple case of a failing temp sender. Personally I would change this and check the wiring for it before going down the lines of HGF

COLVERT 7th December 2020 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30325itourer (Post 2852604)

You are seeking info.---Do you want it for yourself or another person??

Yorkshire GOC 7th December 2020 15:56

And mayo on the dipstick .

Yorkshire GOC 7th December 2020 15:59

If no coolant loss has the coolant been changed recently - airlocks will give rise to overheating.

e30325itourer 7th December 2020 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2852609)
Thomas,

Is the radiator fan running when you do the demist test? Is this a 75/ZT you're asking about as you don't have a 1.8 in your profile?

Simon

Hi Simon, no it’s a friends car haven’t had a chance to do demister test,was only brought up to me today and as you say Simon I have a couple of v6 and diesels never had any dealing with 1.8
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk